Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-25-2003, 04:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

growing strawberries

I'll bet that 'micro-climates' within a garden may have something to do with straw covering or not.

Having never had a strawberry patch before...How does one tell the difference between the older and the newer plants? Will it be obvious? Do I have to mark them somehow?...They may sound like silly questions, but as long as I have some experts to ask I might as well ask

This Sunday may work out to be the best day so far to work outside. I'll weed one more time and then apply a small amount of mulch. Then I'll water and cross my fingers!

O'Sure - thanks for the info on fertilizers...I would not have know what type to get.

Thanks
Nan
Old 04-25-2003, 06:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, this is great to get so much info. I have what may be a silly question as well, but on the newspaper, do you shred it or just put it down in strips or what. Pulling weeds is not on my list of favorite activities so if there is something that will cut it down I'm excited!
Old 04-26-2003, 12:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Strawberries

Hello Carrotpatch,
All we do is lay down the newspaper. No shredding. Just fit it to where you need it. We put grass clipping down after the newspaper or you can mulch with wood chips. We just planted 50 strawberry plants. I thing we now have 150 strawberry plants. Wow! I can tell you i'm very tirered. We also have started are tomato plants and flowers and pepper plants inside this year and wow they all look so good. We planted my morning glories and a few tomato plants. We covered them with the water walls. The things you fill up with water and they protect them if it would frost. I would be happy to answer any more questions so ask away.
Happy Gardening,
Chloe
Old 04-26-2003, 09:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks so much. I'm going out tomorrow and start papering!
wow, that's a lot of strawberries. What are you going to do with them all? Where inside did you start your plants? I've tried starting things inside but they always get stringy. I think I'll go get some tomatoe plants tomorrow as well. Last year we had about twenty or so plants and it was so much more than we could use or give away (all our neighbors had tomatoes too) so I"m just getting a few this year. I have lettace coming up from last year but some of it has jumped the beds. Last year I had slugs which ruined my lettace. Any suggestions? someone told me putting sand around the plants would help. I was raised in Arizona and we don't do a lot of gardening there so I'm kind of new at this.
Mary Beth
Old 04-27-2003, 05:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Garden Slugs

Sometimes slug can be 'caught' by filling a jar lid or small shallow dish with beer at night and placing it in the garden. They'll 'stop for one drink' and never go home!

I'm off to work in the strawberry patch today - near 70Degrees here today!!!!

Nan
Old 04-27-2003, 07:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

If you use grass clippings for mulch, you might want to be careful about where the clippings come from, they might contain unwanted seed or if you get some from neighbor or friends and they use herbicides there could problems.
Chole, my strawberry patch is 15 X 25 feet and solid plants, I could not visualize how to put down n-paper. Do you plant yours in narrow rows with walk aisles? I did start a new/different patch this year. I planter 54 roses and placed 100 new strawberry plants in the bed (7 X 84 feet) to use for ground cover. My asparagus patch is 20 X 65 feet and after reading and thinking about what you are saying, I think Iíll use the paper cover in there. Iíve been using paper around my 36 tomato plants for several years and that works great, but around my peppers (100 plants) I have been using black plastic sheets.
Weeding the 400 potato plants has always been time consuming and if the plants get sunshine on the potato they turn green so Iím going to use paper there also. I did read today that although the ink on the n-paper is o.k. for mulch, they did caution about the ďslickĒ add pages because they do not break down.
I have not tried it but the companies that trim trees from power lines and city work crews chop the limbs up and Iíve heard that they might give some chips to homeowners for mulch.
OíSURE
Old 04-27-2003, 08:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I guess that I could give this info for those that might be interested. With all the corn that is going to gasohol, the mills found something useful to do with the by-product of alcohol manufacture. Itís an environmental safe herbicide. I do use it on my berry patch. It is not real effective the first year because of the number of weed seed but it really cuts back the weeding.
I do not buy from the places listed in the article; I have gone to the local farmer feed supply houses. If you do use it you have to use the higher protein (60% verses the 10%) and be sure that you get the Ďgranularí verses the powder for ease of spreading. I got a 50lb bag at the Muscatine, IA Grain Processing Co. for about $11. They are the ones who worked with Iowa State U. to develop it.
OíSURE

http://www.gluten.iastate.edu
Old 04-27-2003, 02:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Stawberries

Hello Ladies,
Well i hope I can remember all that I just read and answer questions. About the newspaper we only use the black and white we don't use the ads because like you said they don't break down and the color isn't good for the garden.
About the slugs we have heard to use beer. You put it into a cup and put the beer in and they don't leave. We had slugs last year and wow did they ever eat my perinnals. Made me mad but they came back.
And about the mulch you can call your local guys that cut trees and they will deliever if they are in your neighborhood. I have stopped two different companies and asked them what they were going to do with there chips. Yes they looked at me a little strange but with everything we have we need alot of chips.
I have started my sunflower, sweet williams, echinacea,english wallflower,butterfly weed,cosmos,lupine,pansey, and there is so much more. We started them in our basement with two lights and wow they look great. Plus 5 different types of tomatoes and 5 different types of peppers. I make salsa. Last year our berry crops were great so I made some jelly and jams. That's where some of the strawberries go and the black, purple,red, and golden berries go also. I made a blubarb jam that melts in your mouth. It is real good and I got it out of a old farmers cookbook.
Well I better go,
If you have anymore questions just ask away.
Happy Gardening,
Chloe
Old 04-28-2003, 11:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

O'sure

What DO you do with all those vegetables? Are you on a farm? I can barely manage my 2 12x12 areas, can't even imagine what I'd do with 400 potato plants, that many asparagus, tomatoes etc. I do love them all and have just begun experimenting with canning-maybe thats the route to go...

Where is DeWitt? I have family in Fontanelle and Bedford areas-used to be some in Oskaloosa and Pella too.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Boy, could you guys bottle up some of that energy and send it out!?
Making salsa sound like a good idea. My son considers salsa a main meal and it's really gotten expensive. Do you have a recipe?
I could have a salsa garden. I didn't get out and do anything this weekend, got a bad case of spring fever, but it's just as well cause we have a storm coming in with winds today so it probably would have ended up all over my yard since it wouldn't have had time to season.
I'm really enjoying reading what you guys are doing. Any tips on growing things indoors before moving them out. My plants always end up too tall and thin.
Mary Beth