Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-08-2003, 05:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

correction

Sorry I don't know what's wrong with this thing today. The Refreshing Mint Lemonade should have read
Fresh mint
10 cups water
5 cups sugar
Minute Maid All-Natural Lemonade (does not say what size)
4 1/3 cups water

I will look for the one I made on Friday. It uses tea bags.
I also bought a chocolate mint plant yesterday. Don't know anything about it tho'. Doesn't smell like chocolate. We also got a chocolate pepper (bell pepper) it's supposed to be brown.
The stores here have just about run out of herbs. Was lucky to get the cilantro for my salsa garden.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

KC -- Thanks for the recipes. I'm going to try them this week!

Carol

Old 06-08-2003, 08:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pinkie Winky Growing tomatoes in containers....

Hi everybody....Haven't looked at this thread in awhile...I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor so I know some about container gardening. Tomatoes I absolutely love!!! Tried to grow them last year in large containers, about the size of a 5 gal. bucket. But I just used plain Miracle Grow. This caused the plants to be all plant and very few tomatoes. So this year I have been advised to use the Tomatoe Miracle Grow. It has more of the vitamins a tomatoe needs for fruit. You need to make sure you have a few holes in the bottom of your container and then cover those with broken pot pieces, rocks..etc. This is so the water just doesn't sit in the pot. I water mine in the summer when it is really hot at least 2 times a day. And water them until you see the water coming out of the bottom. If the soil feels damp don't water them. But they do require alot of water. Also don't forget the fertilizer. Just got mine planted this week and they are already growing quite nicely. Already have cages over them. And now need to rig up some twine to hold them so they don't blow off the ledge on the balcony when it's windy.
Hope this helps with the wilting tomatoe....
Take care,
Dreamweaver
Old 06-09-2003, 05:50 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

After reading all those recipes, I'm so bummed!! I managed to kill all my mint plants--don't ask me how. I'm definitely going to buy more, though. I used it for everything lol!!

Dreamweaver, as well as using Miracle Grow for Tomatoes, also hold off fertilizing until the flowers come out--otherwise you'll get all leaves and few tomatoes! To keep the plants going, I usually use it once a week or so, not every time I water. Then ever time as the fruit sets.

My tomatoes in the buckets are doing so-so. But the weather has been lousy--cold, rainy, and windy. Even the plants in the ground are having a rough time, so I'm not sure how the buckets will turn out. My suggestion? Water it well with a fertilizer, then mulch the top of the bucket to hold in the moisture. And make sure it has enough light--tomatoes love sunshine . Mine is having problems due to the wind--they're blowing all over lol!!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face 2006 Gardeners??

We have a small veg garden (Canada); we grow green/yellow beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, radish, summer savory, chives, pumpkins and this year I started some rhubarb plants. It is August and we are picking cucumbers and beans every other day. Tomatoes are still growing and are green. Don't think (so far) that we'll have as many pumpkins as last year.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

This year we did a small garden. Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Squash, Watermelons, Jalapenos and pumpkins.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I want to grow celery & every thing needed to make pico-de-gillo aka yummy salsa around here. Right now I'm doing good at keeping two house plants alive.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Nine Year Member

Celery isn't the one that needs to pile up sand around the stalks to blanch them right? that is another plant? I'd be interested to know how it goes!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

celery is not that plant. leek is. and i have no idea why those two just wont grow. what am i doing wrong? i need to ask my mil how she gets hers to grow so great.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I planted my first small garden this year. I'm hoping to have tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, eggplant, peppers, peas, squash and herbs. The tomatoes, peas and herbs are doing great, the rest are so-so. I hope I have a green thumb!!