Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-02-2003, 11:20 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Sueanne!! I can't post pics --no scanner. But the garden isn't spectacular, anyway lol! I have 3 huge plastic planters for my tomatoes, 2 huge ones for the cukes(rigged a trellis-type thing for the vines--not pretty, but it works). I have a rectangular one for the lettuce, and some medium-size ones for the other stuff. I just use the dirt from outside, since it's the basement, and make sure I fertilize regularly. I have two 4-ft. flourescent light fixtures on a timer(I have warm and cool spectrum lights, 14 hours a day). They don't add much to the electric bill--we save enough on produce to warrant the cost!!

I have noticed the taste difference(not as good as "outside", not as rubbery as "grocery"), and you have to make sure you pick the stuff as soon as it's ready--it rots quicker inside(maybe the humidity in the basement?). And I haven't started any plants from seed--but I'd like to try sometime.

I don't have a huge area to work in--my plants are all over the laundry area lol! So you can have a tiny garden indoors. I'm thinking about having dh build me a "real" area--going up like stairs, so I can fit more stuff, or use less room. I basically grow salad fixings--I only grow green beans because dh won't eat canned or frozen, even from the garden.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member

MrsManiac....... Keep up the good work I am proud of you. Takes alot of time and patience to accomplish what you have done. Would be a good idea with the steps take less room. Do you make a garden outdoors at all when the weather gets warmer? I found even tomatoes that I threw on the ground reseeded and came up by themselves in the spring. Keep a special place for different kinds of tomatoes to see what they will do.

I loved growing squash from seeds & tomatoes cost was cheaper than buying the plants. Would grow all different kinds of squash they were so good.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:48 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh, I love my garden outdoors--we have raised beds and they are SO easy to maintain!! I'm not sure how we're going to do it this year--last time I tried following the square foot gardening technique, and my humble veggie garden looked like a rainforest lol!! I also will not be growing squash--I love it, but my family doesn't. I've already made arrangements with a friend--trade squash for roma tomatoes(I think they're the best for salsa). I had tons of squash last year that went to waste because I couldn't get rid of it lol! I too, had tomatoes growing in the darndest places. Cukes, too I'm thinking birds dropped the seeds...

I'm also trying to figure where to plant my strawberries this year--maybe in the bed I put pumpkins in last time--or I have a flower bed that I'm not interested in keeping. I may just replant the flowers and put my strawberries there.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Avocado

Hi Ladies,

I've started an avocado pit and I was told that avocados need a sandy soil. Is that true? Any one knows?
I'll try to plant it indoors untill it becomes strong. I must admit that I have never had one lasting! I thought maybe because of the soil! Please Help.
Vera
Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Nine Year Member

I need to transplant my strawberry plants this fall as they have quadrupled in number since I planted them three years ago.

Roberta
Old 10-23-2011, 03:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You mentioned plants that grow indoors. Right now I have a four foot tall green pepper plant in my window that is producing lots of green peppers. This past summer I had a outside garden and raised tomatoes and onions, potatoes and beets, peas and green peppers. I potted up one green pepper plant and had it in my window all summer long. It did nothing but grow tall. Then when the weather turned cooler the plant began flowering. I used a brush to do what bees normal do brushing each flower center and redoing each one twice. Now it is October and the plant is loaded with baby peppers. Just remember to water almost everyday has peppers like moisture and drink lots of water. I also am trying to grow peas but they are not as happy as the pepper plant.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lemon trees do well in a sunny window.