Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Any Topsy Turvy users out there?

We are planning on buying a few Topsy Turvy containers this spring to grow tomatoes, peppers, cukes and strawberries. Has anyone here had success with these planters? Any tips for me?

I've seen them hanging on porches around our area and they're full of tomatoes and peppers. These will work great for us because we can hang them on our back patio and they won't take up what little space we have on the patio floor.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Nine Year Member

Tami, I had 2 tomato plants hanging on my back deck last summer. They didn't do to well but either did my vegetable garden, the weather was to hot and rainy. I' going to try again this summer.....
Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My daughter gave me a topsy turvy tomato plant for Mother's Day last year, and we were very successful with it. We had it hanging on the wall that got the most sun, and we were still eating tomatoes well into September.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Nine Year Member

My hubby bought one for a tomato plant. Once filled with a full grown plant, they are extremely heavy. We had a lot of rain one weekend and the hanger things attached to it broke. It fell to the ground and the plant was destroyed. If you decide to use one, I would replace the hangers with chains. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dval View Post
My hubby bought one for a tomato plant. Once filled with a full grown plant, they are extremely heavy. We had a lot of rain one weekend and the hanger things attached to it broke. It fell to the ground and the plant was destroyed. If you decide to use one, I would replace the hangers with chains. Good luck.
Great tip, thanks!! I will definitely tell my dh about this.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Dh and I saw the topsy turvey planters the other day and I told him i would like to try one this year for a tomato plant. Last year we had so much rain that my garden did terribly so thought a topsy turvy planter would be fun to try.

Donna, thanks for the tip on replacing the hangers with chains!

~Mother Theresa

Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Do you think I could hang one on a large iron shepherd's hook? We get sun just about everywhere in the yard in the summer so I could put it anywhere. Also, would it be less like to get those yucky green worms than tomato plants grown on flat ground?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Apricot, that is what i was wondering too. I have to heavy shepherd's hooks that would work if they are tall enough.

~Mother Theresa

Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sammi, I think mine is tall enough but just not sure if it would support the weight. I would prefer to use the S. hook rather than drill holes in my patio roof if it would work. Let me know if you try it. I won't be able to try it until Friday afternoon when I'm off work.

Last edited by apricot; 04-06-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Last weekend I put up the tomato topsy turvy on the tallest Shepherd hook I could find and then dh bought a shorter one to hang the strawberry topsy turvy on. Some of the strawberries already had some green fruit and blossoms on them and they are doing well but I'm concerned they may end up being too close to the ground on the shorter hook. The tomato plant is staying alive but not doing much and it looks like some of the lower leaves got mold or something on them. I'm not giving up yet though. Dh did add a metal stake to each to support the S. hooks and also tied one of them to the post of the patio, with a few inches of rope. Yesterday at Big Lots I saw a kit where you can grow tomatoes in it going upwards as well as downward but I think that would get really heavy.