Midwest Growers: When are you planning on planting?? - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Midwest Growers: When are you planning on planting??

I grew a container garden last year and this will be my very first regular garden in Michigan. I am using the raised garden and square foot gardening technique so I don't have to worry about the ground being warm, but I do have to worry about frost. It was cool last night, so I'm a little worried but May is approaching so...when are you planning to put them in the ground?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Patrice, we have a frost warning tonight and had frost Saturday night. Our last danger of frost is May 9th so I'm thinking of planting some time in the middle of May. I have all of my plants started from seeds and DH has all the beds ready for me. Now it's just a waiting game.

Kathy
Old 04-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We still have frost and frezzing temps, and the farmers Almanac says to wait till May 15th But I do have some in the house in coffee cans

Old 04-30-2008, 05:22 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am still waiting to go and buy my annunals and the few veggies to put in the ground.We will do that somewhere around Mothers Day maybe.
Mish
Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We were in the 30's here today and the last few nights...everythings growing wonderfully in the window but they need room to spread and my windows have no more space-(not with a cat around), so the places I can put them are limited.
I did put some rhubarb I got off freecycle into the ground. His were growing well in the cold so I planted them right into the ground. My garden is a raised garden completely off the ground, and I still need some soil for the tomatoes, collards and lettuce to grow deeper if necessary. I have a few feet of dirt in it, but I want to make sure that they root deep if they need too but since its cold, I haven't even been trying to buy soil. I am working on my compost still. I mixed it yesterday to Lea's dismay. Its breaking down well but I wish their was some hot days so it could break down even faster.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

It has been an unusually cold spring here in Iowa. I dont' even have my garden soil worked up yet this year.
I normally put seeds in my garden for lettuce and spinach around the end of April. Potatoes, onions and cabbage plants can also go in the ground in April. I will plant the other plants depending on how tender they are in mid May. I alway put something around my tomatoes to protect them since I live in the country and the winds can blow pretty hard. There have been a few nights I have had to cover them if the weather was going to be too cool.
I normally wait to plant my annual flowers just before Memorial day.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am buying more veggies plants than I currently have since the price of food is going up. I am going to have them in containers and in my raised garden, and in the ground.

I'm gonna grow more tomatoes, snap beans, cucumbers and squash. I'm gonna have it wherever I can put it but with this strange weather...its really slowing everything down. By now I ususally would be keeping them outside overnight acculmating them to the weather but this year I can't, it's too cold, so I really hope that when we put them in the ground we don't still have a late frost!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

some veggies and plants like some cold and frost.. now would be best to plant things like brussel sprouts, cabbage cauliflower beets turnips and most other root crops. seeds that can take the cold and some frost are onions, radishes, carrots etc. happy planting. lettuce spinach like the cool weather too.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

once your plants are in the ground you can use a row cover to protect them on cold nights or when frost is expected.... row covers are easy to find.. and in all honesty if you have some old sheers (curtains) stuck away somewher pull them out and use them for row covers.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I already have sugar snap peas and radishes coming up. I have raised beds also. The rhubarb is great this year. Counting the days till I can cut. Tomatoes usually go in around Memorial Day. Pole beans around then too. Carrots will go in in the nest two weeks. They take soooo long to grow. My strawberries wintered well, even though I forgot to mulch.Going to do lettuce and spinach in containers on the patio this year. Something different. Lillies and the rest of the perenniels are finally coming up. Long, cold March and April set things back this year. Ready for spring!

Lizajane