Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-30-2006, 04:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question ~Trouble with my Tomatos~

I need help with my tomatos. I planted my second garden this year. Last year I got maybe 4 tomatos, but this year I have 8 plants and they are covered.
The problem is they seem to be splitting. I have a picture. The large red one has a large split in it. The little one looks as if the splits kind of 'healed' and they feel rough like scars.
Is there any way to stop them from doing this? I don't remember what kind of tomatos they are though.
I thought maybe not enough water or too much sun might cause this? They do get a lot of water though.
Here is the picture:
http://www.hagersesales.com/tomato.jpg
Old 07-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Nine Year Member

It looks like too much water!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 07-31-2006, 02:46 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree with Ellen. As soon as I read that they have splits in them, I thought too much water.

I was told by an old farmer one time that that is what happens to tomatoes when there is too much rain, they split/crack!

So, if you are having as much rain as we have had and the tomatoes are not planted on a hill, you won't be able to help them very much!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:45 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My tomatoes did this and I live in Cyprus where the sun shines all the time. Mine are definately not over watered. I think it could be to much sun and not enough shade. Tomatoes love the heat, but to much dirrect sunlight can have a detrimental affect on them
Old 08-21-2006, 06:48 AM
Nine Year Member

Mine split when we have repeated days of rain.

My leaves are started to turn yellow and have brown/black spots on them. Anyone know how to treat these? I'm assuming it is a fungal virus as they have done this the last couple of years.

Roberta
Old 08-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Showing off my tomatoes

I lost count of how many tries of growing tomatoes I did, but this is definitely better than my previous attempt. The only different I did this time is that I made a bed and used miracle grow soil instead of regular soil. I am getting tomatoes faster than I could use them for cooking. I often cut the tomatoes lengthwise and then freeze them for later cooking. I donít water them very often because of the rain but when it get too hot I do water them after checking them if they need water.
Attached Images

Last edited by lrivetz; 08-21-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Nine Year Member

To reduce fungal buildup in the soil, rotate your garden crops. Put tomatoes in a different spot next year. This is especially important with the cole vegetables (cruciferous ones like cabbage, broccoli, etc). Also be sure to clean up rotted vegetables from the soil surface as they provide another source of pathogens for the plants from season to season and within season.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Nine Year Member

I always put the garden plants into the trash so deases doesn't spread. I think I'll have to treat the dirt next year before planting as I do roatate the plants but the tomatoes do take up more than half of the space.

Roberta