New to container gardening - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

New to container gardening

I'm looking for tips for growing tomato's in a container. I live in an apartment with the sunny coming in from the east. I need tips on how to care for my plant. The tips that I have so far are:
1.Water Daily
2. Blow a fan on the plant for 10 minutes a day to simulate being out-doors.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Tomato Container Gardening

Hello,

The following is a copy and paste of a website I found with the information I think you were looking for.
Watering

The biggest difference between container gardening and conventional gardening is the amount of water and fertilizer you'll need to apply. Root systems in containers cannot seek out moisture and nutrients that lie several feet away. For this reason, you'll need to water and fertilize often. While occasional water-stressing won't kill a plant, it does invite infestations of spider mites and other pests. Thorough waterings also flush out water and fertilizer-borne salts that can damage plants.

Water at least every other day in warm weather, and every day when it's hot and windy. After a week or so of watering, you should be able to tell how much moisture your plants need to flourish. Fertilize every 10 to 14 days throughout the growing season. This is especially important when the fruit sets on and begins to ripen.

When your tomato starts reaching the sky, as it should, help it stay up by tying the main stem loosely to the bamboo support pole.

If you want to read more about container gardening you can see the entire article if you click on this link: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/gardening/1273561.html?page=3&c=y
I really hope this helps you.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Container Gardening

Water some Epsom Salts in to the soil around your Tomatoe plant. Make sure it gets lots of sunshine, fertilise once week with Tomatoe fertilise.
My daughter container gardens as well and grows lots of strawberries, blueberries, herbs, green peppers as well with success.

Blakej
Old 06-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Look for plants that are specifically made for container gardening. I found tomato plants at Lowe's. They are barely 2 ft high and have lots of tomatoes on them already. I also bought bush cucumber seeds that I planted in pots. Both are doing great. I water every day since mine sit outside. Use soiless mix to plant them in, and fertilize every so often. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

New Problem

My plants are growing tall but the have hardly no leaves on the plant and it had one flower on it but it feel off. I've beenusing miricle grow on the plant but it looks like it's on a starvation diet!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
It's that time of year again!

Here is a great article full of helpful tips on container gardening. Printed from MomsMenu.com--FC's sister site.

Gardening In Pots
by Jack Farley

You are probably already thinking "Oh, yeah, gardening in pots. Like, big deal. I'll get a bunch of little clay pots and begin a garden. That'll produce a lot of veggies!"

No, this article is about gardening in pots...in a big way. First, let's explore the benefits of gardening in pots, then we can move on to how it's done in such a way that you can produce quality fruits, vegetables and herbs.
  • With pot gardening, you will use less water because you can water directly into the pots and not waste water trying to saturate the ground around the plants.
  • There are virtually no weeds with pot gardening, and if there are any, they are easy to identify and remove.
  • Less space is needed. Most planting instructions tell you to plant so many feet apart. With pot gardening, you can put one or two plants in a large pot and cram the pots right next to each other. Since the roots cannot intermingle, distance apart does not matter.
  • Pest control is more efficient. Varmints - especially the boring kind - cannot bore into the roots because the pot protects them.
  • There is greater flexiblility. Have you ever planted something, then when it comes up, wish it were in another part of the garden? Just move the pots! I even adjust the pots so that sun-sensitive plants benefit from the shade of sun-loving plant.
  • Adding nutrients is more efficient because they go into the pot, not over a large area.
  • No need to keep track of crop rotation...you rotate the soil, instead.
  • You can pot garden anywhere. I first started this because, even though I have six acres of land, the land is all rocky. Even if you live in an apartment, you can garden on your balcony.
  • You can get an earlier start with pot gardening. Plant indoors while the weather is still cool, then move the pots outdoors when warm. You can even move them to a warm protected area on those unexpected cold nights.
  • Fewer harmful bugs, especially if you start off by using clean potting soil.
Your initial investment might be greater with pot gardening, because you have to aquire the pots and probably the soil. However, once aquired, subsequent investment is the same as ground gardening.

The pots should be plastic.
Clay simply will not hold up in the long run. The best plastic pots? Paint buckets...no, not the one gallon variety. Get five gallon paint buckets. If you don't know a painter (they throw them away after using the paint), then you can buy them at most paint or hardware stores. And, they are usually cheaper than plastic garden pots - and more durable. An added bonus with paint buckets is the handle. This makes it easier to carry the precious cargo. Paint buckets are also deeper than plastic garden pots, which allows the roots more space. Always drill at least three - 1" diameter holes in the bottom of each pot before filling.

If you have good soil available, use it.
However, make certain it does not pack too tightly in the pots. Add vermiculite or light potting soil to your soil. The top of the pot should be covered with light mulch, just as is preferable in a regular garden. I use potting soil and mix different types together. Some potting soils are heavier than others and you will want to keep the soil light. Also, while you are mixing, throw in some manure. Leave about two inches free at the top of the pot. This allows you to pour in plenty of water and allow it to slowly soak into the pot. At the end of the season, I dump all the soil into barrels for storage and mix up the soil as well as possible - this is better than crop rotation.

What can you grow?
Almost, but not quite as much as in a regular garden. Obviously, melons, cantaloupes and other ground vining plants will not do well. I have had little luck with squash, because it wants to vine on the ground, also. Most other vegetables and all herbs do very well. I believe that tomatoes actually do better in pots. This may be because they require so much nutrient additives and the pots will confine the nutrients and localize the benefits in the roots.

Peppers, eggplant and asparagus do very well...any vegetable that grows up and high will do well in pots. Root vegetables such as potatoes, onions and carrots should be grown in the ground - pots do not allow enough root space for them to expand. However, shallots do very well. And, if you are into herbs, you will be in heaven with pot gardening. Every herb I have tried has grown bigger and better in pots than in the ground. Especially parsley, basil, dill, catnip, bay and all varieties of mint.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Looks like you will have your tomato plant indoors. If any of you plant in containers out doors... We use frosting buckets free from the large grocery store in the area. Drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage and fill with great soil/compost with miracle grow or some fertilizer. We place our Peppers and Tomatoes in a South location. We plant 12 Tomato and 5 Peppers every year and have an abundance to can and share!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I thought that I could container garden in my apartment but I didn't get enough sun so no such luck. I have no balcony so I'm going to miss out on gardining this year. I tried to graw tomatos and peppers just for fun.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:02 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

In some cities garden sites are available. Have you checked these resources?

Good Luck,
Oh, just thought. If you contact a Senior Center many times Seniors would love to continue to grow a garden on their property but, can't for health reasons make a commitment to the up keep. You might be able to pair with a Senior who would like your help. Just an idea.

Pepper
Old 04-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks I just might look into that