Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Valentine's Day This holiday isn't just for lovers! Share your craft ideas, recipes, romantic getaways, and more here.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
ideas for cute valentine for grandma & grandpa?

Ideas for cute valentine for grandma and grandpa

Does anyone have any ideas for a cute valentine craft for Grandma and Grandpa for a 2 year old to do. Of course I will be helping. Please let me know. Thanks.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-23-2004, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

POTPOURRI DOUGH AIR FRESHENERS

You need:

Potpourri Dough * RECIPE TO FOLLOW
Cookie Cutters
Ribbon (Optional)

Instructions:

Make Potpourri Dough. Press dough into cookie cutters. Pop out. Air dry for several days. Add ribbon if desired.

Potpourri Dough:

1C flour
1/2C salt
1C potpourri
up to 1/2C water

Mix together flour, salt and potpourri. Gradually work in water until dough will hold together. Shape or mold. Refrigerating dough will make it easier to work with. Air Dry

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Last edited by ajrsmom; 01-23-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

VALENTINE FLOWER

You will need:

Paper (I prefer construction paper as it's a bit sturdier)
Scissors
OPTIONAL : Crayons (or paint, markers, etc)
Ribbon.

Instructions:

Bring the paper first (may require adult assistance and can be done before hand.)

Cut out the four large hearts pieces. .

And then Cut out the rectangular stem and two smaller hearts pieces. .

Glue together the four large hearts to form a flower (the points should all face towards the middle of the flower). Glue the flower to the top of the rectangular stem and the smaller hearts to the bottom of the stem as leaves.

Alternative Decorating Ideas:
Use sparkles, sparkle glue, or felt to decorate the "flower".

Use a pipecleaner or popsicle stick instead of the printed rectangle template piece for a sturdier stem.

This craft has nice big pieces, so try using paint rather than crayons to colour in the template.

Print a Valentine's message onto a circle of white or yellow construction paper and paste it to the center of the flower. Give the flower to someone special instead of a Valentine's card (Grandma's love to get crafts!)

grated chalk (take a piece of sidewalk or chalkboard chalk and rub it with course sandpaper to get chalk dust. Pour the dust over glue covered paper. Pink chalk would be nice.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just wanted to let you know that there are tons of great ideas right here under the Valentines Day thread as well as on FamilyCorner.com's website ( other than the message boards).

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Family Fun magazine has great ideas.
This year my kids will be tracing their feet onto card stock, cutting them out and glueing them at the heels so it is shaped like a heart. Then decorating the toenails and putting messages on them.

A few years ago they had a great pattern for melting crayons on wax paper with an iron, then cutting them out into hearts and suspending them from string inside card stock cards. Our family and friends still have them in their homes.

Go to
www.familyfun.go.com
and check out some of their ideas or see if your library has them, ours does.
Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." -Muhammad Ali
Old 01-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Guess what! I found the instructions: they are on the web site under Stained Glass Hearts.

When the urge to wax romantic strikes, these melted-crayon valentines really fit the bill. Parents will need to do a little ironing here, but shaving the crayons is a job that kids can really put their hearts into.

Step 1:
Peel the paper off the crayons. Use a pencil sharpener to shave them over a large sheet of waxed paper, spreading the shavings thinly and leaving a wide blank border around the edges of the paper.
Step 2:
Place a flattened paper bag on your ironing board, then set the crayon-covered waxed paper on top of it. Cover the shavings with a second piece of waxed paper and then another flattened bag. Heat the iron on the medium or wool setting, then slowly and evenly press the surface of the top bag (a parent's job). Continue ironing until the crayon shavings are evenly melted (peek under the bag to check).
Step 3:
Once the waxed paper is cool, your child can cut out a bunch of hearts. If he opts for larger hearts, he can use a permanent marker to print greetings directly on them. Smaller confetti-style hearts are great for filling store-bought cards.

Variations:
For an extra-special surprise, hang a stained-glass heart in this simple stand-up frame. To make one, cut two 4-inch squares out of colored card stock. Cut matching 2 -inch-wide circles from the centers of the squares and discard them. Now cut -inch notches in each square as illustrated in the diagrams at right. Fit the squares together so that the notches interlock, as shown, and use thread and tape to hang a heart in the opening.
Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." -Muhammad Ali
Old 01-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Although this idea could be used for any holiday, I thought that it would be great for Valentines Day. I think that I will help my son make one for Grandma for V-Day.

A Priceless Gift by Amanda Formaro

There is always a lot of talk about how we can save money over the holidays. And how can we get the kids involved more?

This particular gift idea is so easy and says "I love you" so well, that you won't want to miss out on it! Make several of these wonderful keepsakes and give them to grandparents, aunts, uncles, and anyone who needs a smile.

The best inexpensive Christmas gift I ever received was from my son when he was in Kindergarten.

The class took empty boxes (hair color, toothpaste, etc.), wrapped them in wrapping paper, then tied them up with a ribbon.

Attached to the box was this note:

I took an ordinary box
As empty as can be
I filled it with a special gift
And wrapped it carefully.

But please don't ever open it
Just leave the ribbon tied
And hold it tightly near your heart
Because my love for you's inside!

If you prefer to use bows over ribbon, simply adjust the poem to read:

I took an ordinary box
As empty as can be
I filled it with a special gift
And wrapped it carefully.

But please don't ever open it
Just leave the bow applied
And hold it tightly near your heart
Because my love for you's inside!

Using bows, of course, is easier than the ribbon for little ones. To dress up the poem, use pinking shears to cut out the poem you have written or printed out, then glue that to another piece of poster board or construction paper of another color (for a border effect).

I loved this gift and will keep it FOREVER.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

There is a long list of Valentine Crafts for tots links on my website (if I am allowed to mention it), and I think many of them would make good gifts for grandparents - who love anything made by their grandchildren!