FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Valentine's Day (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/valentine-s-day/)
-   -   Do you celebrate Valentines Day or do you think that it's all a bunch of hype? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/valentine-s-day/24783-do-you-celebrate-valentines-day-do-you-think-its-all-bunch-hype.html)

ajrsmom 01-28-2009 07:13 PM

Do you celebrate Valentines Day or do you think that it's all a bunch of hype?

:birdy: Are you taken in by the candy, stuffed animals, hearts, cards, flowers...etc or do you think that it's all a bunch of hype?

happymomof4 01-29-2009 06:14 AM

Dh gets me a bunch of flowers. Not roses I told him years ago not to spend that kind of money for roses. He usually gets me a card and a box of the chocolate covered cherries.

I get him a card. So years we go out to eat and some years we don't. I think this year it will be a low key holiday. With him not working everything is low key right now.

Pag36 01-29-2009 07:28 AM

My hubby use to give me the nicest cards and box of candy some times we would go out to our fave German restaurant to eat. He is gone but I have wonderful memories.
I buy a stuffed animal for Judy as she loves them, a stuffed Panda if I can find it for Adam as he absolutely adores Pandas (even tho' he is 20 now) I get something Star Wars for Steven and they all get a small heart box of candy. Yes I spoil them

barbszy 01-29-2009 10:56 AM

I try to make a special meal for my family at home, just to make it a low key day. We don't really go "all out." We never go out to eat on that day because it is SO crowded then!

I am not a "flowers" person and DH knows it. In fact, he knows that I am perfectly happy with a Milky Way :chocbar:

I still have a first-grader so he makes Valentines and things like that, for us, at school. And those are probably the most precious things we can get on that day. :birdval:

I do buy the kids a few packs of those conversation heart candies, because they like them. But mostly, we don't bother spending money on "stuff" just for the sake of giving a present.

Darlene 01-29-2009 11:47 AM

It would be nice to get a card but that has only happened a couple of times in 44 years.
I give my DD a little something
Darlene

Liza44 01-30-2009 05:41 AM

The first couple of years of marriage we did, nice dinner at home, roses, jewelry (he managed a jewelry store) the whole nine yards. However, having both been in retail too many years to count, most of the holidays are jaded due to "greed factor". He still brings me a bunch of flowers, nothing too expensive and I make his favorite meal. Other than that, no. It truly is a lot of hype to make people "buy" things to show his/her love for another. You can do that with a hug and an I Love You.

DeBora4BobbyL 01-30-2009 05:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday!!! I wish they'd let us take off work and school for it. I have always gotten my kids, and now my GKs, little baskets with goodies. These goodies range from Valentine snow globes with floating hearts to cute pink, red, and white Valentine dresses.

I didn't take pictures of the whole baskets that I got my GKs last year, but I did get a picture of the dress I got my DGD and one of the toys that I got both kids. It is such a romantic holiday. If my DH is here, we go out to eat breakfast or something.
Attachment 25155

Joy 02-02-2009 08:22 AM

I am like Barb--I try to make some special for dinner that night or maybe a dessert (special treat especially on a week night).
Dh is not in to Valentines Day. He always says I love you everyday so I really don't need a special day. He has however brought me flowers or some little thing for time to time on Valentines Day.

god bless 02-04-2009 01:36 AM

:beat: God Bless: Yes i do celebrate Valentine Day. It's a very loving and specail day to me and my family and friends. :cupid2:

brehartsell 02-05-2009 05:34 AM

yes we celebrate Valentine's Day but just small things. We don't go all out or anything