Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am overwhelmed and so very appreciative of all the response to my request!!
thankyou, EVERYONE, so much!!

Disneyfan, I will be PMing you! Thank you for your generous offer!! Secondly, Welcome to the Family Corner!! We have a lot of fun here discussing all sorts of different topics!! Just jump right in wherever you are interested!!
I go by the name of "Trainlady" and so I say, Welcome Aboard!!!

Bowlergirl, It is SO very good to "see you" again!! I've missed you. I did receive your e mail and will be writing back very soonest!! My girl, you have been through a lot.

Di, you are a wealth if information!! I may not even need to send for tourist information!! It sounds like you have very treasured memories of growing up near Astoria. A couple places on your list that I definitely want to see are Ecola State Park, Crater Lake, Columbia Gorge and Cannon Beach. The latter seems to be a must see place of everyone who has written!!
I HAVE been to Honeyman State Park; the dunes are awesome!! I've alsoseen the Sea Lion Caves and Coos Bay area.
I have been THROUGH the Colmbia Gorge on the train but was never able to visit. It was in wintetime and the view of the river and snow was like a Christmas Card, absolutely breathtaking! I have a lot of favorite views "out the train window" and the Columbia Gorge is right up there in the top ten!!!

This is our plan......We are going in July, tentatively, the third week.
2 days Prtland
2 days in Hood River/ Columbia Gorge
2 days in Ashland
and the other days Amtrakking to each destination!

it turns out the Rose Festival is in June but that is OK, it will be less crowded and easier to make Band B reservations.

Thanks again!!!
peace,train
Old 12-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi! I LOVE the Gorge!!! After all the years of living in NW..i went to the Gorge the first time 2 summers ago. They were selling just-caught right out of the river Salmon! For like $2.00 a pound! So we went to get some and talk about a line! WOW!! I loved the road there...all curvey in the woods and waterfalls everywhere! Beautiful! We were there in the summer so it was hot.
You will hit Ashland during The "Shakesperian Festival" Is that why you are going there? Ill tell you what though...Their motel prices go sky high during...but there is only like 6? weeks that it is not on during the year so its hard to hit a "cheap" time anyways.
We have a book called the "Entertainment Book" and it has 1/2 off prices for rooms all over anywhere we want to go...so thats what we used. you can get one where you are at too. They run about $35.00....but oh so worth it! They have lots of restaurants that would be in your area as you order the book for where you are at but it still all has the hotel/motel section in it. Also has alot of Amtrak specials too. I am not advertising cuz I dont sell them..but my daughter has them through her work for the AIDS Alliance Foundation and she has the lists of where you can get one from your area. Most are sold from groups like schools and sports teams....etc...non-profit orgs cuz they get about $7.00 per book.
Anyways if you are interesrted give me a holler and I can get ahold of the list!
Going to lunch with bestest friend...see ya all later!....nancy
Old 12-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

bowlergrl2000 Homedale is just a dot on the map. Not even 2500 people live hee. Which is what we love about it. If you have a map look where Boise is. Go a lillte bit south and west. We are on the border of Oregon. DH works and goes to school in Boise it is only about 28 miles from us.
Emmalee
Old 12-08-2003, 07:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Columbia River Gorge and Hood River

When you drive through the gorge, take the time to drive on the old highway on the Oregon side--it has lots of little waterfalls you can stop and look at...very pretty. Also Mulnomah Falls is worth the stop. In Hood River, you can drive up a local road to Lost Lake. It takes about an hour and it has a trail to hike around it. It is often seen in calendars too--as a lake in front of Mt. Hood. It's beautiful. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to hike around it and it is pretty flat.

Yup, Crater Lake is well worth your time. One of the the times we visited, there was a man in a boat by Wizard Island playing bagpipes. It up chills down your spine. Really eerie, but nice.
Di