Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 09-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Need Cheap Food Ideas that will Travel Well

We will be leaving Thursday night for an 11-12 hr. trip to Upstate NY. I plan on taking our cooler with us filled with drinks and food so that we will save money from eating out all of the time. My MIL is very sick so this is a "must take" trip. We are pinched for every penny so thats why Im saying cheap ideas.

Im looking for very simple, cheap ideas on what to take. We really wont need anything right off the bat, Ill make sure that weve eaten before we leave and hopefully both of the kids will be asleep anyway. ( Leaving around 11 pm). Im thinking snacks for DH and I. Then breakfast in the morning-which really doesnt have to be breakfast food- then some kind of more fulfilling snack/light lunch in the early afternoon.

We cant have a lot of leftovers because I wont have anywhere to keep them for a long time. Believe me, at the price Im hoping to pay for a hotel/motel for 2 days, they wont even consider a frig in the room!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just keeping this alive and hoping for some ideas.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Last edited by ajrsmom; 09-10-2003 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Im still looking .....

So far, thinking of:

Mixing m&ms, nuts and raisins

cheese stix

apples and oranges

meat and cheese tortilla wraps

stopping somewhere to get bagels for breakfast

Any other ideas? I need something to go along with the tortilla wraps.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 09-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

cheap food for travel

Hi,

Sorry to hear about MIL.
You may want to take a cooler w/ water and juice, fruit, cereal that can be eaten w/o milk like cheerios and fruit loops. Also take break and meat and make sandwiches. Even if you can't have a fridge maybe a hot pot or the immersion heater to heat water for coffee, tea, noodles, soup, instant grits and oatmeal. Be sure to take your own coffee, tea, soft drinks, sugar, creamer and whatever snacks you can get cheap. Also peanut butter crackers. I'm sorry to be rambling, I am just typing as I think.

Good luck,

Doris
Old 09-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tami - when we go to my parents house, about 10 to 12 hrs away we take, 2 kinds of crackers, bottles of water, cookies, pretzels, sandwiches, yogurt, a bag of baby carrots, and sometimes juice. Of course we end up with leftovers, but no one goes hungry. Hope that helps.

Carol

Old 09-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks to both of you!

Heres what Im planning to take in a cooler:

Diet Pepsi for DH
Water and Juice for both DS and myself
tortilla wraps
string cheese
apples for DS
I think Ill take baby carrots instead of the oranges
M&M mix from above
Some kind of crackers that we can all decide that we like

I wish that I had some means of a cooking pot but dont.

I think that the best bet for breakfast will be bagels and fruit.

Im not looking forward to this trip. MIL is very sick and this could be the last time that we get to see her. DH's brother is laying a guilt trip on us for not being there more. We just cant do it because of our money situation and DH's job. On top of that, both kids still have the sniffles and neither are in the best moods. Talk about tension!

Ok now that Ive had my little vent I must get ready for the Meet the teachers night at 7:00.

Hope to check in again tonight when hopefully things will be less hectic.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 03-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Nine Year Member

This has been awhile.
But, you could take
peanut butter
Bagels
crackers
jelly or honey
celery sticks
grapes
plastic silverware
dry cereals
trail mix
granola or cereal bars
Jar of Ice tea mix
Individual dry drink mixes that you add to 16.9 oz bottles of water.

With the dry mixes you can always grab water at the rest areas to refill plastic bottles. You can also freeze water in plastic bottle before you start out and use in the ice chest for ice packs and use the water from them to drink as they melt.

Add a crock pot to the items you are taking and then you could make soups or even warm up barbaque beef or chicken for sandwiches in your motel room. Or even an electric sandwich maker or toaster oven/ toaster for poptarts.

Just a few ideas.

We have a woven case with dishes for picnics that DH and the kids take for the anime convention they go to ever year.

They have even took my electric skillet with them to make frajitas & pancakes and hamburgers.

Vicky
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

pasta salad (rotini corkscrew noodles, pepparoni, cheese, tomato, cucs w italian dressing) it travels well n cooler, use it for long tourn drives for sports n is relatively healthy to boot, also mak ur own muffins for breakfast or waffles (kids like em cold) are good additions
Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Head Moderator

Your pasta salad sounds really good!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 06-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I always think cereal/granola/protein bars, peanut butter (I love the Jif to go-We can usually find a package of 3 for about $1, but if it is more cost effective for you, you can get a regular jar) with crackers. If you can take milk with you or stop somewhere to get it, the instant breakfast drinks might be a consideration. Cereal or trail mix? I've been known to find all the boxes of partially used cereal and mix them together with things like nuts, granola, dried fruit etc. Baguette or pita chips usually travel well. If you are using a cooler and think it would travel well, some kind of cheese. I love pasta salad-you might want to do a vinegar based rather than a mayo based and maybe use black or garbonzo beans or some other bean as a protein rather than meat. Freeze juice boxes to use to keep stuff cold, and then you can drink as they thaw. Fresh or dried fruits. Fruit snacks or leathers. Hillbillyhousewife.com has a recipe for a garbonzo bean and rice salad.
Garbanzo And Kidney Bean Rice Salad

May 1, 2013 By Hillbilly Housewife 2 Comments
This is an easy summer recipe and also comes in handy when the power goes out (or it’s just too hot too cook). I love it served at room temperature, but leftovers are great straight from the fridge the next day. For a portable lunch, try wrapping some of this in a flour tortilla for a yummy veggie wrap.
  • 1/2 can (15 ounce can) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 can (15 ounce can) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 1/4 cups cooked rice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped onion (or 1 tsp onion flakes)
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
In a bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until mixed well.
Serve immediately at room temperature or slightly cooled if possible.
----
Cucumber Salad With Ginger

April 24, 2013 By Hillbilly HousewifeLeave a Comment
Here’s a salad that’s as simple as it is delicious. It’s perfect when you are grilling in the backyard or for picnics. Since there is no mayonnaise etc, there is no need to worry about it spoiling to quickly in warm weather.
  • 4 medium size fresh cucumbers, peeled
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp grated ginger root
Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and remove any large seeds and extra pulpy flesh if necessary.
Slice into very thin pieces, crosswise, into crescent shapes.
In a bowl whisk together the vinegar, honey, salt, and ginger.
Add the cucumbers to the bowl and toss together until well coated.
Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving so the flavors blend well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------