Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

favorite camping meals

What are your favorite meals to have while camping? Everything always does taste better outdoors, doesn't it!!
I am going camping this weekend......one night we will roast hotdogs and have beans..and smores. I love to have tacos while camping, we will have those the second night.
For breakfasts we like eggs in the hole, bacon and fruit, the second morning will be french toast and bacon. For lunches I bought tuna, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles to stuff into pita bread, fruit, chips and cookies. Also bought some deviled ham............just because we always had that when we went camping when I was a kid , so, it's more for memories sake! LOL!!

I tend to get more adventuresome when we camp for longer times but I keep it pretty simple for weekend camping.

Do you have any favorite campfire recipies to share?

peace,train
Old 06-28-2003, 12:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question camping meals

Exactly what is eggs in the hole? Our family goes camping every year, usually to Indian Creek Marina at Mark Twain Lake, or one of the state parks in our area. We always have smores and hot dogs, bacon and eggs for breakfast, and pbj. We aren't real creative, I think what ever is quick and fun.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Tin Can Ice Cream

This one is fun and always comes out great!!

TIN CAN ICE CREAM

1 egg
1 c. cream
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1 oz. melted chocolate
Crushed ice
Rock salt

Combine milk, sugar, egg and cream in a clean 1 pound coffee can and mix well. Stir in melted chocolate. Put lid on tight. Place can inside a 3 pound coffee can and fill with crushed ice and rock salt. Seal with the lid. Roll can back and forth on the ground for approximately 15 minutes or until ice cream is firm. You can substitute fresh berries for the chocolate. This is fun for kids, camping and backyard picnics.

Janet
Old 06-29-2003, 02:31 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
The Icecream sounds good and fun to make but my husband would never eat it with a raw egg in it.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 06-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We're going camping for the 4th...would love to see a bunch of replies on this one!

We're doing a shrimp boil with potatoes and corn one night...steaks and hotdogs another night and maybe Taco Salad one night. Breakfasts so far are maybe bacon and apple pies (with the sandwich maker...made with pie filling)...shipwrecks (breakfast burritos with meat, potatoes, onions, peppers, cheese and eggs in tortillas with salsa). Doing "oatmeal pies" (oatmeal cookies with melted marshmallow in middle...and s'mores...a watermelon...

Taking the "cold brew" tea bags to make tea with so we won't drink so much pop...and gatorade mix. Taking "GoGurts"...the individual yogurts in tubes. My kids LOVE them. We always have a fresh fruit bowl.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 06-29-2003, 07:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We always went fishing when we went camping - so fried fish (fresh cleaned), fried potatoes, biscuts (baked in a pan with domed lid on a hot rock at edge of fire, rotated frequently) and beans. Breakfast was always good bacon/sausage, eggs, fire toasted bread or biscuts. I can also remember making cornbread and cake. Grilled porkchops are also good. Any food you normally grill can be done on a campout - if you normally marinade, put it in a ziplock bag. You can also grill your vegs (I love grilled corn on the cob).
Old 06-29-2003, 08:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by griffes
You can also grill your vegs (I love grilled corn on the cob).
I really like grilled corn on the cob!

What seasonings do you put on yours before putting it on the grill?

Do you leave the husks on yours while it is grilling or clean the corn and wrap it in foil?
Old 06-29-2003, 08:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Grilled corn:
Usually kept the husk on it. Soaked in water first. Might put butter and salt on it. (Never tried the herb butter, but saw recipe for it once.) Have cooked it with husk on top of grill (or partial husk) and with husk and sometimes foil burried in the coals.

Last edited by griffes; 06-30-2003 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello,
When we went camping with our daughters, we like sandwiches with any filling, toast, pancakes, bacon, eggs, chili, spaghetti, bananas, hamburgers, hot dogs, and jello (had a racoon finish this off) to name a few things. We always took a tent to camp in. One time we went camping, we took our cat with us and it got away from us. We thought it was a goner because it was pretty far from the camp that we stayed in. But during the night, we heard meowing, and there he was! We were all surprised and happy.
Petunia
Old 07-01-2003, 10:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Breakfast Burritos are the best - tortilla, eggs, sausage or bacon, cheese and salsa - all wrapped up in tortilla and frozen earlier. Put piece of foil on grill and warm. Regular fare is good also. Hot dogs, hamburgers, pork chops. Really like beef or chicken kabobs. Chunks of meat marinated in soy sauce, ketchup and garlic powder. Skewer with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers or whatever. Yummy! Just saw a recipe for shrimp kabobs that I have to try! Smores are good. I have little ones and they love it when I buy the variety pack of cereal for mornings thta twe are rushed or mom doesn't want to cook! We go to NASCAR races also (adult weekend) and take clams (can lay them right on the grill), snow crab legs (pot of boiling water) and tried grilled lobster also. All good!