Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

camping food

We always take with us camping a pan of Jiffy Pop, for old time's sake. We always seem to burn it, but the kids love it anyways.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:05 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

What a great thread!! We just started camping with our kids...5,4 &2. Our first trip wasn't that good. We got rain ont he first day(unexpected), and the kids were miserable after the first day. I brought games but they went through them in 20mins

We made....

Chicken hobo

Chicken breasts, potaotes, carrots, & onions with seasononing in foil packets.

breakfast burritos

Sandwiches

and I think that is all that we had time for. We ended up leaving early.

Chrissy
Old 11-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I just thought of another few recipes we did in Girl Scouts. One was Hobo Stew. Brown some ground beef, add in a chopped onion, then dump in a can of stewed tomatoes, a can of kidney beans, a can of tomato soupm and some chili powder, cook till done. Top with grated cheese, if desired.

We used to do this thing for breakfast: open up cans of biscuit dough. Take each biscuit and spiral-twine it around a sturdy stick. Everyone just cooks it over the fire. While everyone is cooking their biscuit, put a stick of margarine into a pan and let it melt over the fire. Put sugar and cinnamon in a dish. When done, each person rolls their biscuit in the butter and then the cinnamon-sugar. Definitely not diet fare!!

And I thought of another one, this is a dessert. They're called Banana Boats. Pull a strip of peel down a banana, but don't remove it. Lay the banana on a piece of foil, sprinkle some chocolate chips and miniature marshmallows over the exposed part of the fruit. Then replace the strip of peel, seal it up well in foil, and toss it on the campfire while you eat dinner. When you're done, the Banana Boats will be, too. Gild the lily with Redi-whip, if so desired.

Then there's Puppy Chow. In a large pot, put in one stick of margarine, one cup of peanut butter, a bag of chocolately chips. Cook, stirring, till it's all melted. Put a 1# box of powdered sugar into a large ziplock bag. Dump a box of Crispix cereal into the chocolate/PB goo, and stir till it's all coated. Put the coated Crispix into the bag of sugar and shake it up till all the pieces are coated. It comes out looking like Purina Puppy Chow but it takes GREAT!

Rani
Old 11-13-2003, 06:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We tried several of the recipes on our annual camping trip this year. The kids loved the banana boats, foil meals, and orange cakes in the orange peels. They weren't too crazy about actually eating the orange cakes, but they thought it was great fun making them! They were really funny about the egg-in-the-hole, they couldn't seem to figure out what it was and when I told them egg in the middle of a piece of toast they thought I was kidding. It made for a lot of fun trying the new recipes for all of us! Thanks for the ideas, I will be checking for more next time.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pie Die's

Mmmm...They are regular sandwich bread with any flavor of pie filling inside. Then place in pie die iron and stick on coals. Mmm fried pie kind of.

TX Chef Fran
Old 06-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We always do a turkey when were camping!! We take heavy duty tin foil, a turkey breast or whole turkey, pour almost a whole bottle of BBQ sauce on it wrap in about 7 layers and put over the fire. We have a thing made so the turkey spins on it. The only thing is it takes about 5-7 hours depends on turkey size but boy is it good!!! Also, popcorn over the fire mm good!! They have pans out there to pop it in and its delicious!!
Old 07-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We go camping every year and one of the things that I usually take is this recipe.

Thick & Rich Rice Krispy Squares

1 cup light karo syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups rice krispies cereal

6oz chocolate chips
2 tbsp butter (not margarine)

In large pan on low heat cook syrup and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add peanut butter. Stir until smooth. Add rice krispies. Stir until all are covered with mixture. Pour into a buttered 9x13 pan and press into place.

In small pan, melt chocolate chips and butter, stirring constantly. Pour over top of cereal mixture and spread until all is covered.

(I always at least double the amount of chocolate chips and butter. I have also put this in the bottom part of the broiler pan to make them thinner.)

I hope you like them!

"My children are not responsible for my personal happiness. If they are noisy or tired, it is inconvenient only if I make it so." ~ Celia Straus
Old 07-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Has anyone heard of football pudding
You take instant no cook pudding, placing it in a plastic bag , add milk and "toss" it around untill it is cooked
Sounded fun..lol
Got the idea from Family Fun Magazine

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That sounds good! I am going to try the pudding when we camp this summer!!

Who else has any good camping meals...or desserts... to share?

hugs, train