Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 05-24-2003, 08:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my family has gone camping every other year since i don't know how long, but we always used a tent, that was fun too, but we always had an air mattress, as soon as i got married my parents bought a camper, so i've never camped in a camper...it was always fun in the tent though, since i've been married we've camped once, but now that i have a 4 month old i thought it would be hard, but you saying you've camped ever since 6 weeks and you granddaughter being so young, we might just go camping this summer!
luckely it hasn't rained once this weekend! but it has been hot! 95 degrees or so...
have a great rest of the weekend girls! (and men, for the one's out there)
Old 05-25-2003, 04:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My "ex" and I camped a lot even when the children were babies. It's no big deal. We literally used a cardboard box (!) when they were tiny. Later we took along a bassinet basket.

Nowadays, Graco makes those nice "pack and play" small playpens that fold down into a carrier. If I were back clamping with babies, I'd take one of those. Lets the kiddie have a safe place to play as well as a safe place to sleep.

I always considered my babies as "packable." I nursed them until they were about a year old, so there wasn't a problem with food until they were about 6 or 7 months old.

Youngest we camped was when daughter was about 2 months old. I was barely ready to do stuff at that point. She didn't care as long as her food supply was around and she had a pad to sleep on! It was great.

Cheerio!
Old 05-26-2003, 02:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi everyone,
We used to camp in a tent too. Then my parents got a foldover camper. It was great. Then they got a hard top. Have ALOT of good memories camping with my family as a child.
Since my dh didn't like to camp, the only memories of camping trips my kids have is when they went with my brother. After all us kids got married and moved out, my parents sold their trailer.
And after my kids got married and moved out, I decided to start camping again. So my dh got his boat, and I got my tents. Had to get two, for when the kids went with me. My dd and sil go with me all the time. My ds and dil go whenever they can. We have started some good memories for the grandbabies. But we got flooded out so often, I told my dh I wanted a camper. So he bought one for me. Now, instead of loading everything in the back of the truck, it's already loaded in the camper. Just hitch and go. It's great either way, but with the grandbabies going with me, I didn't think it would be too good if we had a heavy rain and got flooded out. We used a playpen for their bed, and a play pen. They were out of the line of flood water being in there, but mom and dad and grandma didn't like being wet, or washed away, so to speak, so alas, the trailer. And now, we stay DRY. Love to camp with the grandbabies. It's so much fun to watch them when they discover something. Might be old hat to us adults, but to the dear little people, it's GREAT.
So now starts the memories for the grandbabies. Hopefully, they will have some really good ones.
Hope you all have a safe and wonderful MEMORIAL DAY.

Sue
Love that cat. It's so cute.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:42 AM
Head Moderator

Nothing beats camping! It is so nice to get out of the cities and enjoy nature. We like it so much we bought 30 acres about 8 years ago with plans on retiring on it. We did that now almost two years ago and still love it. Built a log home and built it about 50 feet from the cliffs, no neighbors in site for any section of the property. Our drive goes uphill 1/2 mile and only one neighbor down at the bottom of our drive on either side of it and the 3 across the road that you can''t even see because they are up another hill and back in the woods. We all love the quetness and seclusion. When the weather is bad you just don't go out. You get flooded in (doesn't bother us up here), frozen in and other various weather reasons to be stuck in, but wouldn't give it up for anything! So we feel like we are camping every day! NO noise type camping!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:23 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

camping

Here is a sweet deal from our government. Those nice RV campers you see on the road? Our lovely government does recognize them as a tax credit towards housing. Interesting isn't it? But we don't do that. We still go camping in a nice rather large tent, with a nice rather large screen to cover our picnic table. Ah the life of living outdoors. Park near a playground and send the little off to play.
We just made our campground reservations for the end of June. Lakefront and shaded. Just hoping we don't end up with the same problems as we have had in the past. A cold wind comes billowing up from the lake. Ick. Sigh. Happy Spring!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi all..

We love to tent camp.
Haven't been able to much the last few years with my hubby's schedule.
I am looking forward to this year.

Chris...COWAN's GAP STATE PARK re-opened and there are great tent sites near the lake. If you enjoy fishing there is fishing and also swimming.

We are looking forward to going to OCEAN CITY at ASSEATEAQUE ISLAND this year. I am trying to convince Memin for him and I to just go "run away" for a day. We all need that sometimes I think~

Any good camping ideas or recipies to share.
My kids enjoy a "jungle breakfast". You put breakfast food in a brown paper bag and hang them in the trees. What ever is in the bag the kids pick.. is breakfast.

We have alot of campfires in our own backyard though~

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 05-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We are going camping for Memorial Day weekend!

We will be gone for 6 days. We bought new tents this year (ours were in pretty rough shape). I always get so excited this time of year and can hardly wait to go! This year we are going to WindCreek State Park on Lake Martin here in Alabama.

I will start planning my menus and doing my shopping this weekend. I am compulsively organized when I camp and it drives my husband nuts! LOL

The jungle breakfast sounds fun!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

camping

What I do is bring those little Betty Crocker check out menu books. The ones that display simple recipes and picnic foods. I am eyeing a papaya chicken recipe. I usually slice and dice certain foods that won't spoil after chopping. Grill chicken and I'm done. We are only going 3 nites, 4 days this year because we are going to WDW in September. Can't wait.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Jerry and Susan wrote to Family Corner with the following "Thank You" to everyone......

"Hello, Im new to this so please be kind if i miss spell any thing. I want to thank all those who wrote about stuff to cook while camping. All of it really helped out so much. My wife and I are takeing our 6 kids on our first week long caming vacation in two tents. Please rad our profile about our family. We all have only been together for 3 years 3 kids mine 3 kids hers. But its not like the Brady bunch they never did fight as much as these kids do (LOL). Im just jokeing they are the best children anyone could ask for. We are all so excited to go. We are going to Hocking Hills in Ohio. Well post some pictures if we can. The best part is we have 2-8 year olds and they are going to get to go horse back rideing all by them selves. Ive never seen so many kids so excited. We are leaving June 20, fathers day. Well ill quite rambling its that im so excited about this site this is so cool".

Jerry&Susan

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 05-20-2004, 08:08 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WELL I WOULD LOVE TO GO CAMPING BUT IT IS JUST TOO COLD HERE!

WHEN WE LIVED IN TEXAS WE USED TO CAMP EVERY WEEKEND AT EITHER HUNTSVILLE PARK OR LAKE CORPUS CHRISTI, AND ON SPECIAL HOLIDAY WEEKENDS WE WENT TO GARNER STATE PARK

You will be forever missed Breezy...

Love, Your FC Family