Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi there!
Thanks for the great list!!!

Welcome to Family Corner! I hope you will post on other threads too and let us get to know you better!
Come on over to the "Introduce Yourself" thread and tell us a little about yourself!

Welcome!
trainlady
Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Boy, everyone has given some terrific ideas. We've camped out so many times since I got married. I don't have my file with me with my list of things to camp. When I first started camping, I made a folder of things to pack. I had a list to pack in the car, because we traveled 4 or 5 hours to where we were going to camp for a week or so. I had toys for the car, snacks, drinks, and so on. I also had a menu list. I made up a list of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks for the week. I packed the nonperishable items. I also had a list of things I needed to pack and checked them off as they were packed. I had can opener, foil, charcoal, lighter, wire hangers for roasting marshmallows, and so on. I also had a list of personal items that we needed to pack. Since we always went to the mountains, we all had to have coats. I included such items as tooth brushes, medications, underware, and so on. Don't forget pillows, blankets, flashlight, and so on. Some other items that are easily forgotton are egg turner, frying pan, rope, tarp, lawn chairs, table, bug spray, sun block, and so on. If you dislike public portapotties, like I do, I bring my own potty. Take your lists with you on your first vacation. That way, you can write down all the things you didn't think about packing and what you wish you could have packed. You will forget what all you had to run to the store for once you get home. But the next time you go camping, you will have a master list of what you need to pack, including things that you had to rush to the store to get.

We also had 2 coolers, one for soft drinks and one for food items, like bacon, eggs, meat, and so on.

One other thing, I made a master pancake mix. It had everything except for the milk and eggs. It was cheaper than buying the store brand pancake mix.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

HI all GREAT things here!! havnet been camping in many years but dont know if anyone did what we did we would try to get a tent site near the bathrooms or playgrounds!!! flip flops {they have water shoes now} we brought what we called "the weapon" one time we had terrible bees at camp and brought a small broom!! we would bring a rope to hang up clothes so they would dry,if you do go swimming!! we had a tarp to go over a picnic table just in case of rain and you had to stay in area! and when we went tent camping I HATED some people with trailers {sorry} they had micro waves and refrigs HEY thats not camping!!! our cooler was out frig!!! oh well have FUN!!! we did!!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I need to go through my camping boxes in the garage and restock. I probably should try to do this before Relay in a couple weeks because we will need some things out of them. (Relay For Life....we camp out tow nights)
Anyone bought any new cool camping gadgets? I need a really comfy air mattress....gonna go buy some really thick foam from Floyds and make a comfy bed for us.

hugs, train
Old 04-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Right now I am sleeping on an air mattress. The problem that I have had with the air mattresses, even the big thick ones, is that the plastic tops make it miserable to sleep on. My DS is so wonderful! He made a thick pad to put on the top of the mattress. Then, covered it with sheets and blankets. That thick pad makes those air mattresses feel like I am sleeping on a regular mattress. So, if you are awakening with a backache, like I have, use super thick padding and then, make sure you keep it aired up.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:35 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I bought a thick memory foam pad for under $40.00. I didn't want to spend that much, but it was on sale, down from $70., so I got it. And it has made all the difference in the world.

We don't tent camp anymore. Sleeping on the ground with just a piece of plastic and a sleeping bag. So I have enjoyed both roughing it with the kids and doing the wimpy camper thing we do now.

I actually love my camper. The best thing is it's set up(as of last July) and all I have to do is drive to it. Everything I need is already there. It's not real campimg at its finest. But more like a second home that is in the woods, with almost all the comforts of home.
And yup, I bring the dogs with me. I have an enclosed fence for them, but most of the time they stay in the camper with us. I think they're spoiled a little.

Maryann

We learn lessons in the school of suffering
that we can learn in no other way.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Maryann

We have a 30 ft camping trailer. Love camping. We don't have a seasonal site anylonger. We go to different campgrounds every tiime we go out. We live an area where their are tons of campgrounds with in 1 hr of our house. Love camping. We take our dog also. I think he would run away if we didn't take him. He enjoys it more then the teenage and young adult kids that we have now.

This summer we will be taking the granddaughters with us for a few days. Can't wait.

Charlotte
Old 04-16-2010, 10:58 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Charlotte,

Good for you. That's what I'm looking forward too also. Taking the grands camping.

They are so much fun. It makes me feel younger just watching them. LOL

Maryann

We learn lessons in the school of suffering
that we can learn in no other way.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Nine Year Member

I've added one of those $10 LED tent lights to my kit, it has multiple LEDs and battery run so it hangs in my closet when not camping with it.

Also saw a propane oven and stovetop in Cabela's catalog, more expensive than the LED but it goes to at least 400F or was it 500F? Anyways, looks like a good plan but will wait till it goes on sale

The camp kitchen with three tables, hanging room for utensils, and a wash basin and two fabric 'cupboards' looks good and wonder if anyone has tried it out yet? It's been listed in Cabela's and has gone down in price also. Think it's somewhere about $100 now, definitely a luxury item but we are doing more tailgating with dd2s lax team and other things camping so it would be fun to have, I think....

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

master camping list

[QUOTE=MomsZoo;66883]Hi all.... my hubby and I bought a tent late last summer and we're dying to use it this year, but neither of us have been camping since we were kids. So I'm wondering if you all could give us some tips about what we need.... can you prepare meals in a tent? Do we need lanterns? Coolers? And does anyone know a fun place to camp with kids in Indiana? We're in NW Indiana but willing to drive some distance if it's worth it :p
Thanks in advance for your pearls of wisdom

Here is my copy of my master camping list:

Big Stuff
o Toolbox
oChairs
oFishing Gear
oCooking Box-Dishes, cutting board, pots & pans, silverware and kitchen utensils (don't forget the can opener)
oDishwashing Tote-everything to wash dishes
oGrill Tote-portable (propane)
oLights & Lanterns w/fuel
oRadio, CD’s & DC cord
oPropane
oTarps
oSleeping Bags
oTents
oWood
oShovel
oSheets & Blankets
oWinter Coats, Hats & Gloves
oRain Gear
oCushions-to sleep on
oPocket Knives
oWater Jugs
oAx & Wedges
2 tables

Big Basket
o2-way Radios
oCamera
oFlashlights
oBatteries
oKoosies

Coolers
oApples
oBacon
oButter
oCheese
oEggs
oJelly
oKetchup
oLunchmeat
oMustard
oPotato Salad
oMiracle Whip
oPickles
oHot Dogs
oHamburger
oMilk

Dog Stuff
oDog Beds
oDog Food
oChains & Stakes
oLeashes
oWater dish

Entertainment Stuff
oActivity Books
oBook to read
oGame boy & acc
oCroquet
oBocce
oHorseshoes
oVolleyball/ ladder ball
oTelescope
oFrisbees
ocards or dice games
oIndoor Game Tote (in case it rains)

First Aid
oAce Bandages
oAdvil
oCotton Balls & Q-tips
oExcedrin
oInsect Spray
oPeroxide & Alcohol
oTweezers
oPrescription
oSunscreen
oBand-aids

Food Tote
oBananas
oBread
oBisquick
oChips
oCereal
oCrystal Light
oMaple Syrup
oPam
oPeanut Butter
oWater
oBeefaroni
oSpaghetti
oTuna
oGarlic Powder
oMeat Tenderizer
oItalian Seasoning
oChopped Onion

Paper Goods
oGarbage Bags
oKleenex
oPaper Napkins
oPaper Plates
oPaper Towel
oToilet Paper
oAluminum Foil
oZip-lock Bags

Personal Care Items
oDeodorant
oHair Brush & Combs
oRazor
oHairspray
oMake-up
oToothbrush & Paste

Swimming Bags
oBeach Towel
oGoggles
oSwimsuits
oWater shoes
oLife Jackets

Shower Bags
oTowels
oWash clothes
oUmbrella with curved handle ( turn umbrella upside down and hang hand on tree branch) hanging shower curtain on tips of umbrella purchase a 4ft x 4ft piece of plastic flooring (solar showers available in the camping section (K-mart, Walmart)
oShower curtain
oTowel
oBody Soap
oShampoo & Conditioner

Last edited by realclark; 04-19-2010 at 05:10 PM.