Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 03-17-2003, 04:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Ummm.... WOW!!!

This is awesome! I'm so excited, I can't wait to start camping... I feel like I'm going to be a pro on our first time out! Talk about taking the guess work out of it! This is so great.... thank you all soooo much!!!!!
Linda Dulin... you are NOT boring, you're very informative and very nice for taking the time to type all of that!

Mysmommy... hey fellow hoosier! I'm in St. John... I know exactly where Kouts is (my hubby and I got lost one night after the Porter Cty fair and ended up in Kouts :p ) Oops! And you're my birthday buddy??!! How cool is that!? Send me a PM and we'll chat!

Thank you all so much, you've been so helpful!!!!!

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!
Old 03-17-2003, 06:20 AM
Friend of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

One more essential - food that you only have to reheat instead of cook. Who wants to spend time cooking when there are so many other great things to be doing? I make a big pot of chili the day before we go and freeze it. Put it in the cooler and it will serve as an ice pack. Take it out a few hours before you're ready to eat and heat!! We also use the pie irons to make pizzas - spaghetti sauce and cheese inside and it's ready! Pack cereal for breakfast in those little snack bags and you won't have to haul a whole box. You can even add the milk to the bag and eat - the kids love the novelty of it. Lastly, have fun! My parents always seemed too stressed and overworked when we went camping to have fun so I try to make everything as quick and easy as possible. Have a great time!!

PS For camping in Northern Indiana (where I grew up), nothing beats the Dunes of Lake Michigan!!
Old 03-17-2003, 06:43 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Janieb,

What do you use for the crust in the pie iron pizzas? That sounds good and easy! Thank You!
Old 03-17-2003, 06:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Camping Essentials

Dear Preacher's Wife,

Thank you for the website! It has a wonderful link for finding camp sites within 50 miles of where you live.

It is wonderful!

Linda
Old 03-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Friend of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

For the pizzas, I use plain old white bread. Butter each side so that it doesn't stick (and for taste) or you can use vegetable spray if you're saving calories.
:p
Old 03-17-2003, 09:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

NW IN Camping

Hello Fellow Hoosier!
I live in NW IN, as well, and love camping in this area. The Dunes and the National Lakeshore (Lake Michigan) are two favorites of ours, especially since they are so close (we live in Valparaiso). We also go to Potato Creek and Tippecanoe at least once a year. But make sure to make reservations well in advance, weekends fill up fast at the State Parks!
Have fun! karin

For more info, check out this site:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/

or browse these sites:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search
Old 03-17-2003, 01:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Laura,

I'm clear down in FL. but we too tent camp with our 3 kids. altho only in early Spring & late Fall b/c of heat & bugs. You got great tips from everyone, I just wanted to add: In addition to great library books with camping tips & recipes, the internet is a GREAT source for camping recipes. It is essential to plan out your menus and food to take before you go.

Also, we always put one of those woven doormats in front of our tent opening and take our shoes off before we go in. It cuts down tremendously on the amount of dirt and sand that gets carried into the tent.

We always do the checklist thing and sometimes it is exhausting getting ready for a trip, but once we get there and get set up, it is always worth the packing and checking. So peaceful and beautiful. We're lucky enough to have a campground with manatees in the springs and deer that walk right through your campsite.

Enjoy!!

Kathy in sunny FL
Old 03-19-2003, 11:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Handy items for camping

I grew up camping with my family, and my husband and I now camp with my seven year old son.

Handy items:
Make your own soap on a rope by inserting a bar of soap in a nylon knee-hi. Tie a slip knot in the knee end and use the loop to hang onto the faucets in the camp shower.

Take one of those battery powered touch-on night lights for use in the tent - a nice soft light. Sometimes a lantern or flashlight is too bright in the middle of the night. Another nice alternative is a solar powered landscaping light, it comes mounted on a stake, ready to stick in the ground - be sure it gets some sun to recharge during the day. They can be found in gardening supplies.

If you have kids, take some simple crafts. One year I took a stepping stone craft kit and had my nieces collect various small rocks, shells, etc to press into the cement. They added their initials the date and place name. A fun memento of our trip. Be sure to do this a few days before you leave, it should have about 2 days to harden, and leave in the mold until you get home.

Have fun!

Kathleen
Old 03-19-2003, 02:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We only tent camped once and for us once was enough. It would seem that we are a bit older than some of you that do which would make a difference. Our experience was this: it rained and nobody told us to waterproof the seams. We had to find that out for ourselves. We have since purchased camping trailers and do enjoy that.

I'm from NW Indiana too (presently DeMotte) and we take 3 of our grandchildren to Tippecanoe as much as possible. They have a great time riding and playing and meeting other children.:p

Thanks for all the ideas......
Old 03-19-2003, 03:48 PM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb

Another tip in case you are camping or picnicing somewhere that water is not readily available......Take along a gallon milk jug filled with water. Before filling ahead of time, poke a hole near the bottom with a golf tee. Keep the tee in the hole until ready to use and then have someone hold the jug for you, pull the tee out and a steady stream of water will be released. When finished plug the hole back up with the tee.