Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 03-16-2003, 09:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Camping Essentials

Basting Recipe;

Butter, Worchestire Sauce, parsley, Thyme, Rosemary and garlic/onion powder to taste.

We use this on: Fish, Chicken and Pork

It makes a nice moist meat with a lovely taste!

We splurge when camping - only buy the food we like the best, (steak, Chicken, Pork and BACON!)

This is our special time and we make the most of it and just do what we want to do!

Oh yeah Randy reminded me if you are taking a bike - take a tire pump too! And safety gear!

Enjoy this time, make memories and remember to laugh!

Linda
Old 03-16-2003, 09:48 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Great ideas ladies! We have only tent camped a couple of times, but have used a camper for 2 seasons. It is so much fun! Like the others have suggested, a list is a BIG necessity! Basically I just think about what types of things we would use at home and have an extra set in the camper. We use paper plates, eating utensils, etc, but we also have regular dishes, cups, silverware, etc. that can be washed and re-used. Usually we eat breakfast and supper on the good stuff and lunch on paper. A couple of tubs is essential for tent camping to wash your dishes and pans. Don't forget the dish soap and also hand soap to take to the bathroom with you...our state parks in Iowa don't supply the hand soap. If you have kids juice boxes work great because they do not have to be refrigerated. You will more than likely need 2 coolers...one for drinks and one for food. Oh, we also have a toaster for breakfast...can't eat eggs without toast! Plastic totes will work amazing to carry your stuff in cause you can just keep it in there and they store away easily once you get home. I almost guarantee you will forget something the first time! I usually do even with lists. About eating....plan your menu so you can go ahead of time and purchase all the items at the grocery store before you leave. Make sure there is somplace fairly close to the campground to purchase extra ice for your cooler.

Besides smores, which I love, the rest of my family likes using a pie iron to make cherry or apple pies. In case you don't know already......it is cast iron and you butter 2 slices of bread and put pie filling in the middle, close pie iron and cook over fire. The outside of the bread toasts and is yummy. I prefer using cinnamon bread or adding cinnamon and sugar, along with the butter on regular bread. It makes it taste better. Don't forget long handled roasting sticks for the marshmallows.

If I think of anything else I will post it later.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

never cook in tent

all great suggestions and ideas from everyone ! (I even got some fresh ones from what read!)
But here is one thing ,no mateer the tent size, never ever cook inside.
1. An incredible fire hazard....need I say more
2. its best to keep your cooking and food prep area separete and distinct from your sleeping area. The critters will try to come in.They dont know or care that you are sleeping there .They just smell the food.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Laura,
My name is Tina...Where do you live in Northwest Indiana??? I am in NW Indiana also. Kouts to be exact!...I peeked into your profile and notice your birthday is June 3rd...Mine is too but 1967! Well onto your question. I think the ladies here have covered just about everything! Our family are avid campers. We are gone just about every weekend from April to October. We have been camping for about 14 years. I know of quite a few campgrounds down this direction and also the one we are annuals at. Broken Arrow Campground, in Winamac, Indiana. Plus there is a nice one just outside of Kouts. I would love to chat with you sometime if you would like.
Have a great day!

~Tina~
Wife to Scott
Mommy to:
Jakob (8), Lukas (3 1/2), and Kyle (2)

http://mommyis.stayinhomeandlovinit.com

[email protected]
Yahoo: mysmommy
MSN: mysmommy
Old 03-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Great ideas Ladies!

Just wanted to Welcome all of you to the Camping with Kids Forum! My family and I have been tent camping for years!

I have posted many ideas on this forum over the past couple of years (you may have to search for them). I think I even posted my camping supply list at one time.

If you have trouble finding them holler at me and I'll dig them all up again!

Keep posting I love all your ideas!
Old 03-16-2003, 02:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi there.
My husband and I have been camping with our children for a few years now, and have found (the hard way) some absolute essentials.
First: if you are sleeping on air matresses, the cold from the ground comes right up through them and it won't matter how many blankets you have on top of you, you aren't going to be warm! We try to put the air mattress on top of a tarp or something, and then put a sleeping bag on top of the mattress, so you are sleeping on top of one as well as underneath one, if that's what you are using for covers. We bring a comforter and lots of blankets, and sheets as well, for those nights it's too hot for blankets.
Next: Do not keep anything edible, food related, or scented inside your tent. When we were camping last summer the raccoons came right into the front part of our tent (sort of like a dining tent) and got into th package of my daughters diapers, and was into her powdered formula. They made off with our dish soap, and I heard the next day they took somebodys sunscreen! Needless to say, they were at our tent every single night after that, whether we had stuff in there or not. They were bold, too. My husband chased one around the tent and right back into it again! They don't scare easily. At night we would pan the flashlight back and forth into the woods and all you could see were eyes! I'm not even going to get into the bears! Needless to say, we won't be going back there again.
Lastly: LISTS. You've already gotten that gem already, but I also find that it's really useful to have big Zip lock bags, garbage bags, shopping bags; they'll be used, likely.
Oh, one more thing; a clothesline that you can run between two trees. This has been a valuable addition for us.
Good luck, and have fun!
Stacey (from Ontario)
Old 03-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

camping USA checklist

Camping-usa.com has a lot of good info, including this checklist at: http://www.camping-usa.com/checklist.html
Old 03-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Stacey....we put a blanket under our air mattress and one on top of the mattress. Then we put the sheet on top of the blanket and we use blankets to cover up. It really helps keep the cold out.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I just remembered something that we used to do while tent camping. Lay a tarp out flat underneath your tent and stake it down. That will help keep out the ground moisture.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Camping

Haven't been in a long time? Need to start off slowly. Need to know how to put that thing up as well. If you don't? Its going to be a long nite. My husband twisted our tent, 15x8, I don't know how he did it, but he ended up having to take it all apart and putting it all back together. We ended up watching him fight that thing. We did it right the year before but yet it must be a guy thing.
Also, reserve a spot now. Most places are filling fast. We are going to Gettysburg. If we had waited? No way would we of gotten this close to the area. Just mailed out for our reinactment tickets. Can't wait.
What cooking and canopy stuff are you taking with you? I have two big bins that I use for camping. I bring non perishables in them along with the cooler. This year we aren't taking stuff premade because of the length of the trip.
We have a 10 year collection of nice pots, pans, dishes and et all. I need to get a canopy for the picnic table. Ever eaten out in the hot sun? Not fun.
Good luck. Camping is fun and our 5 1/2 year loves it too. She even loves the long trips getting there. Who knew an only would love to go camping.