Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 03-04-2003, 11:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Disney World Daily Expenses

Hi! Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea for a family of four-mom, dad, boy-8 and boy-4--how much to estimate for our daily expenses--food, etc.

I'm just trying to figure how much in cash/traveler's checks we'll need for a 5-day vacation--staying on site.

We are not currently planning to rent a car--figured we didn't really need it staying on site.

Would appreciate any info....
Old 03-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

If the room has a refrigerator, buy juice, milk and cereal for the morning. When were kids, my mom and dad did this after we got ready in the am to a0 keep us out of each others hair, there are 5 of us! and b) it sure saves a lot of money. That was in the 60's. They bought the small boxes and my dad would turn them on the side and open the box to make a bowl with a paring knife. No clean up that way! and the boxes are waxed lined so it wouldn't spill out. We all got to choose a different kind which made it a treat since these were choices we didn't get at home. Have great memories of that. We always stopped at a grocery store after checking in. I did the same when I traveled with my son, now 19.
There is always fresh orange and grapefuit stands, where you can also get bananas. That is what we did for the week we stayed in Florida. Cereal, juice, and fresh fruit. I also bought some cheese and crackers for snacks in the evening.
By the way, what part of Wisconsin are you located. I am in Wausau.

Lizajane
Old 03-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I live in Florida (if that is the Disney you are going to) and we took our children (5 of them) to Disney for a whole week last June for vacation. We stayed at the Disney All Star Resort and rode their transportation to the different theme parks because we had hopper passes to all the parks. The transportation is okay, the waiting stinks at times, it is hot and at time the lines are long and you get on the bus only to find there are no seats adn you have to stand. The food at the parks and at the resort is expensive. We were spending over 100.00 a day on food for us all. And that was only eating two meals. We brought tons of soda with us and kept it in a cooler in our room and we brought some snacks too. The prices of the food is very high. You will spend about $7-$10 on each person for each meal depending on where you go. Drinks are expensive, water is more expensive to buy than soda! Bottled water in the park was like 3.50 and soda was like 2.50 a bottle. If you have drink bottles bring them and you can fill them up with water from drinking fountains, it is much cheaper. Everything is expensive at Disney and we planned on that and had 1000 in cash for spending money for food and gifts. We spent it all too! That said you will have a great time, I love Disney & even though it is way to expensive we still go every year. Some rides require your child to be a certain height for rides. you can go to the disney site on line and it will give you the specifics. Here is the link, http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wal...rksAndMoreRoot
I am sure your two kids will have a blast. Just plan on spending more on food and gifts (most gifts are 20.00 although there are some cheaper things around 10.00) I say that in what my kids thought were cool, there were a few trinkets also that were cheaper. Make sure you have sun block, childrens aspirin because sometimes people are not used to the humidity and get headaches or get sunburned easily and need pain killer. We brought sunblock, aspirin, baby wipes, bandaids and antibacterial wipes for boo boos and little bottles of hand cleaner. My kids loved the Magic Kingdom, didnt care for MGM studios much. the fun rides the little ones couldnt go on, Animal Kingdom was okay but we spent a half day there and saw it all and went to Disney. I thought the safari ride was cool and make sure when you go to that park you go on that ride first because in the morning the animals were all out as they were being fed. The resort was great, the pools were nice and we had a great time staying at the allstar resort. I am sure you will have a *magical* time. Disney is so fun.
Felicia
Old 03-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Our family has not been to Disney, but I went there on a senior band trip 11 years ago. I do remember it being very expensive then, so I'm sure it is much more now. When we go on family trips, I pack plenty of juice boxes, and snacks. Pringles chips are very nice since they are in cans to prevent being smashed. You could also take pop or candy type treats that are generally VERY expensive in motel vending machines. Sometimes motels also have a microwave and you can bring along microwave pop corn for an evening snack. A more filling type of evening snack would be crackers, summer sausage and cheese, especially if you have a fridge or cooler to keep cold. We normally eat continental breakfast at the motel in the morning and then wait until 2:00 - 3:00 and find a good buffet type resturant. This way you get lunch and supper all in one meal and then just have a snack in the evening.

Good Luck!
Old 03-09-2003, 04:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Disney Expenses

Thank you all for the great suggestions and "heads up" on the costs! I knew Disney would be expensive, but had no idea just HOW expensive! We are planning to rent a fridge for our room--but you all reminded me to double check on that with the travel agent.

I love the suggestion about bringing water bottles--I never would have thought of that. It also seems as if it will be much hotter in Fla. in April when we go than I had originally realized it would be.

I guess $1000.00 isn't out of the question for expenses for 5 days?

Also--does anyone know--do the airlines still serve food? Or should I bring snacks for my boys for the plane ride??

Thanks a ton for all the info......

Liza44--I am in Rice Lake--just went through Wausau on my way to Oshkosh last week for conference!! Small world!!

Rivermom
Old 03-10-2003, 04:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Some frugal ideas for you.
If anybody in your family requires medication that needs to be refrigerated, Disney will supply the fridge for free.
Plan for at least breakfast in the room, and pack some cookies, crackers and juice boxes for snack time.
You can go to www.netgrocer.com and arrange for fruit, milk and other grocery items to be delivered to your room. It is amazing how expensive it all can get.
Don't forget to pack rain ponchos from home. Wal-mart has them for 99cents, but they are a lot more expensive with Mickey on them in the parks.
A couple of great sites with tips from other WDW travelers are
www.wdwig.com and www.mousesavers.com

I live in FLA, and go a couple times a year. I just flew on US AIR and there was NO food, so pack a snack or two. Please feel free to pm me with any questions.

Most of all, have fun!
Sharon

If you are coming to see me, come any time! If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:59 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Disney World

We are planning a trip to Disney World in September of 2004. If we do the 3 day package, it is about 1100 for a family of three. We are planning on driving down. I don't fly. But we have investigated AmTrack. For around 500 we can take the van with us and have the vehicle to go and do other things. We are planning on Cape Canaveral. Unless they completely cancel the shuttle program and launches, there should be a shuttle launch then.
I got the Disney Video and was told it is a teaser as to what is really available. I talked with the mgr at a Disney Store and she handed me a book about what to do and expect at WD. I plan on picking it up this summer during our family camping trip. Something to read and decide.
WD is not cheap. So you need to plan wisely and frugley. Enjoy the planning and the trip.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

To figure out your food budget, you ought to go to www.wdwig.com and do a search for "menus"
This is how I figure out our food budget in advance!
You could also subscribe to the www.disneydollarless.com email list for TONS of money-saving ideas!
ºoº
Hunter (12)
Tucker (10)
Tanner (8)
Isabella (5)
Old 03-10-2003, 05:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A small note on the water bottles....my sister lives in Arizona and would always freeze the water bottles so they would stay colder longer. By the time the ice starts to melt, you are thirsty. We take them when we hike in the desert and can have cold water for hours.

Lizajane
Old 03-10-2003, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

A couple more answers. My daughter flys frequently and she was served a snack only one time. I would bring a snack for your children if you do fly. Also when we went to Disney last June with all the kids, I am a florida resident. I got a HUGE discount on my rooms. We had two joined rooms on the first floor with two double beds in each. We only paid 70 a night for each room. I had paid for my rooms in adavance. Plus because I was a florida resident I also got a discount on a 5 day hopper pass. They had a Floridian special that ended June 8th (we went the 1st-7th) and we paid 99.00 each for a 5 day hopper pass. Which makes the expense come out to like 20 bucks a day for each park. We saved a lot of money by simply calling Disney and asking questions. They do have cereal, fruit etc in the Disney resteraunt inside the resort. You can bring things with you or buy it there. We are not morning people so we ate a huge lunch around 1-2 at a theme park and then we ate at night when we got back. For my little ones (ages 4,7,8 at the time) I bought them fresh fruit before our huge lunch which disney has a lot of those stands in each park. Dont be afraid to call Disney and ask questions. My kids had so much fun and so did my husband and I. Even my two teenages who were 12 and 16 (my other two children ages 15 & 18 did not go. One went to Missouri, the other was with their father in MA). This year we have taken the four youngest ones back again for one day. I live about an hour and a half away. And again let me remind you of sunblock! The sun is much stronger down here. My kids also wore hats and sunglasses. All this talking is making me want to go back!
Felicia~ Fish3711