Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 02-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Favorite Camping Destination!!!

Where is your FAVORITE place to go camping and why?

I Love Morro Bay State Park which is on the central California coast. It is a 3 hour drive from where I live. I love this State Park because it is very beautiful with all the campsights having huge trees in them so you have the feel of being in the mountains. The ocean is just a 10 minute walk from the campsights!
Mountains and ocean....The best of both worlds!!!
peace,train
Old 02-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well hello again trainlady! How did I figure you would probably be here! And really! I am trying to get the camping list to you! I need to get it copied, and I keep forgetting to bring it with me. I just got out of hosp again after 6 days there, so as always Im running behind again! Just when I get caught up...boom! Hosp again!
Anyways, my fav camping spot is anywheres in Montana or Wyoming! Its sooo pretty anywhere there! But our fav place to take kids when younger every year was Sun Lake State Park in Eastern Washington state. It was always hot, and the campground had so much for the kids to do, like a mini golf place and lots of kids around all over! We have a boat so it was great to water ski. We would pack a big lunch and stay out on the lake all day. There is a bunch of little islands in the middle of lake so we would anchor up there and eat lunch and swim around in the cove! So much fun! We had 3 ****er spaniels then and they always came with us, They loved the water too. And when it got really too hot to cook over camp stove, Wentachee wasnt that far to go to town to eat in an air condtioned restaurant and go shopping too! The great ole days! I missed them so much! My girls are 24 and 22 now, so its been just a bit since we have done that, but now hubby and I escape and its a blast! Just wanted to say hi, and im sure we will meet up soon again!
Old 02-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Arkansas!

Devils Den State Park in Arkansas!
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 02-16-2003, 06:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What a great forum...didn't know it was here! Our favorite place to camp is Waterton, Alberta (part of Glacier-Waterton Peace Park.) The campground is in the tiny town, so you can walk to eat or get groceries, but then you can also hike from your campsite. Bears are known to come down into the town, along with deer, fox, owls, etc. Love it!!

Kim
Old 02-16-2003, 07:06 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Favorite Camping Spots

There are some lovely spots up near Tobermory, Ontario, Canada. Then there is Tawas State Park, Michigan. Otherwise, I have never stopped at just one. We camp all over and end up having our favorites. Camping up and down the west side of Michigan is awesome. Some great tourist spots as well. We are heading to Gettysburg this year. Don't know what the campsite will look like, but we hope, promising. Happy camping!
Old 02-16-2003, 09:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my favorite place to camp is Kentucky Lake in Kentucky.It has alot of real nice campgrounds to camp at.The Lake is so pretty.
My farther-in-law have a boat and jet ski.We love to go boating and jet skiing.We usaually take a lunch on the boat too.And stop at coves and go swimming.I also like to go ridding my bike on the trails .I like it there cause ther are things the kids to do and really makes it fun is that is when we sort of have alittle fam reuion over the 4th of July.MY Husbands sisters and her family and sometimes his brothers and their family.It is so much fun.So if you are ever in the Ketucky Lake area i would check out the camp grounds
Sue-DragonLady
Old 02-16-2003, 09:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my favorite place to camp is Kentucky Lake in Kentucky.It has alot of real nice campgrounds to camp at.The Lake is so pretty.
My farther-in-law have a boat and jet ski.We love to go boating and jet skiing.We usaually take a lunch on the boat too.And stop at coves and go swimming.I also like to go ridding my bike on the trails .I like it there cause ther are things the kids to do and really makes it fun is that is when we sort of have alittle fam reuion over the 4th of July.MY Husbands sisters and her family and sometimes his brothers and their family.It is so much fun.So if you are ever in the Ketucky Lake area i would check out the camp grounds
Old 02-20-2003, 08:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Camping

We have 2 favorites. One is at Mt. Desert Island campground in Bar Harbor, Maine. We are going back this summer for the 3rd time. It's so quiet and peaceful there. Lots of trees and of course, great lobsters!!!

The other is Myrtle Beach, SC. We went for the first time last summer and had a great time. There are several campgrounds right on the beach. We stayed at one that's a combination of campsites, rental & owned houses and rental & owned condos. Lots for kids to do there and a nice place to just hang out!

Happy Camping!!
Old 02-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi everyone,
I am anxious to go camping this spring...can hardly wait!!!
I have been to a couple of the campgrounds you have mentioned!
Dragonlady:
I have relatives who live near Kentucky lake and have picknicked there!
Rossmith, I have camped at Devil's Den State Park when I lived in Van Buren Ark!
Crowemommy: I have been close to Myrtle beach but not quite there...Kaweah island I think is the name! My husband and I were there and it was pretty much deserted, unknowing to us a hurricane evacuation was going on!!! We were able to catch the last train out!!! LOL!!!
I've not yet been to Maine, there and NewYork City are still 2 places I want to amtrak to!

Bowlergirl, I will NEED that list soon because I just KNOW I am not bringing enough stuff with me!!! LOL!!!
I've never waterskied, have always been a big old chicken!! HA!!

peace,train
Old 02-21-2003, 11:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our family camps most at Enid Lake in North Mississippi. It is maintained by the Army Corp of Engineers. It is pretty with a man made earth dam and the water is usually fairly clear. We fish and swim in the lake. We usually camp at Wallace Creek area and there is nearby Batesville 20 minutes away with a Walmart for anything we may have forgotten. It is quiet and doesn't have the rowdy parties that are at some campgrounds.
For group camping with our homeschooling families we go to Arkabutla Lake which is only an hour away from home(Memphis) and is also run by Corp of Engineers and is in North Mississippi. We like it because of the way the campsites are set up sort of in a circle and only one access in and out at the South Abuttment area...good for safety of kids running amuck!!
For beauty and water play, we love Greer's Ferry Lake in Arkansas. The water is so very clear and they have great swimming sites. I do not like the fact that there isn't water hookups at the campsites though.
Then there is Lake Ouachita near Hot Springs, Arkansas. Lovely islands and great houseboat rentals there. Haven't camped at the campgrounds though.