Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 08-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hey there BG,
Wher've ya been, girl??!! Missed ya!!!

Glad to hear you had a succesful surgery that will help you to be in good health!!!! Good luck with that!!!!

Nope, I don't really collect pics of trains, but thanks for asking! I DO like pictures and post cards of Amtrak Trains, however so have REALLY enjoyed the post cards you and a few others have sent me of trains!
Basically, I like riding the rails!!! Man, I havn't been on a single train trip this year with having no vacation time...so that puts me at only...and still...100,000 miles!! LOL!!!

Oh, I remember going to Mt. Raineer as a young girl!! What a beautiful place!! We never camped there. I only remember picknicking at a place called Paradise. When we camped it was mostly Dash Point or along the Oregon Coast...which makes me wonder...are there places along the Washington Coast to camp? I wonder why my parents always took us all the way to Oregon? Maybe the Washington Coast is to rugged for camping?? We camped at Sequim once...I only remember the name...I don't remember where that is...and we camped in Gig Harbour area...

No, I am not familiar with any of those shows because I work the graveyard shift and so am asleep during prime time TV.. So, I am TOTALLY our of the loop there!! Sounds like a lot of interesting shows on nowadays!!
Looking forward to seeing you around on some of the other threads!! Take good care and
peace, train
Old 08-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Trainldy....I got your answer now about the calender! we crossed posts there!

You prob went camoing down Oregon Coast cuz alot warmer and actually alot more places to camp....nice little towns like Seaside, Long Beach......
I have camp at Sequim alot...but we go out there to go deep sea fishing mostly and get cabins to stay in. Its mainly a fishing village.Sequim is way up north by Port Angeles kind of but all the way west at that tip. It is pretty up there.
But Oregon..there is alot more on the coast to camp at and mainly I bet it was the weather difference is why you went there too.
Later....Nancy
Old 01-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hey LadyHLee - our favorite camping spot happens to be in N.C. also.
Nantahala Gorge! There is one campground right on the river, Rocky Water campground.
We love the whole area, my hubby and dd raft nearly every day.
We love the flea market in Murphy too!
What a wonderful place, my dh would like to move there but dd is 14, you know that won't be happening.
Anyway, you have lots to be proud of in NC

My next fave spot is Starved Rock state park here in Illinois. Cheap and lots to do.
Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." -Muhammad Ali
Old 01-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

hi Miss Kitty,
I've camped at Starved Rock, too!! Small World!

Have you camped down in southern Illinois? There are some pretty campgrounds in that neck of the woods. What about the Pere Marquette, Hannibal area?

peace,train
Old 01-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Camping

If anyone is going to Gettysburg this summer? I highly recommend Granite Hill Campgrounds in Gettysburg, PA. Great staff and great place to camp. The tent sites are a little cramped getting a van into, but if you like shade? Then this place is for you.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

trainlady, we have camped in Carthage out at the lake and in Springfield. Both at the KOA out on the lake and at Mr. LIncolns in town. Dd shows rabbis in Springfield quite a lot.
We've been told to camp down at Mark Twain Lake but every year we seem to run out of time.
Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." -Muhammad Ali
Old 01-25-2004, 02:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

There's a beautiful campground near Bainbridge Ohio that we just found late last year. First time we camped there, and it is clean, the staff are very friendly and helpful. It's called Longs Retreat. BEAUTIFUL scenery.
I think it's gonna be our regular campground from now on. Takes a couple hours to get there, but it's beautiful. And away from any big city noise. It has go carts, a tennis court, basketball court, playgrounds, game room, snack bar. It's nice.

Heavenly Forecast: Reign Forever
Old 08-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Friend of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

We are off this weekend to the Adirondacks in upstate NY. My family has a cabin there on an island in the middle of Raquette Lake. There is no electricity, no running water, no phone. Just lots of silence and lots of family fun! We bathe in the lake, go to town to get water from a spring, then to the general store for ice cream, boat to a beach, explore the woods, fish, read, play cards, talk, sleep, swim, canoe, climb a mountain, and enjoy the lack of amenities! We have a propane stove and refrigerator so we don't suffer too much but you have to be very careful about the trash since, some years, a bear gets caught on the island when the lake thaws (yes, it freezes enough that cars can drive across it!). We are spending a week there and my boys (4 and 7) are so excited! My parents will be there at the same time so DH and I will have lots of alone time too!

Wife to Bob 6/26/93
Mom to Jonathan & Adam(1996/1999)

My FC Member Awards!

Honorary Members

Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi! Will you adopt me?? I will be a good child! LOL!

Sounds so perfect where you go for your peacefulness.

My favorite is Crater Lake in Klamath, Oregon. So beautiful, peaceful, quiet! And lots to do too. And also just down the road from there is another lake resort.........Lake of the Woods. They have everything there to be comfy but still in wilderness.
we cant go this year cuz daughter just had baby July 18th. First time Grandma here!! So too busy with Ryan(the baby) in order to go cuz we didnt want to hassle with taking him camping at that early age. But next year! I have a good feeling she will be preg again.but will have alot of hands to help her out!

Have a great trip if you havent gone yet.sounds great!

Hugs...bowlergrl2000(Nancy)
Old 08-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

At the beginning of August I vacationed in Empire, Michigan at Sleepy Bear Dunes. What a wonderful campgrounds it is. The ones with 139A-C are really rustic for those with tents.
This place is centrally located to Glen Arbor, Empire and Traverse City. Showers are 25 cents but boy are they hot and they last a long while. I would do it again if I had to.
Next year is Charlovoix and Petosky with my mother and daughter. With my DH and DD? Smokey Mountains.
Any suggestions from those who have gone here? I heard the air quality isn't what it is suppose to be. Happy camping!!