Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 01-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

HersheyPark, PA

We plan to visit Hershey PA. this summer with our daughters. They will be 13 and 8 (almost 9) years old. Last time we stayed in a hotel right on Chocolate Avenue. It was WAY overpriced. Does anyone have suggestions of where to stay so we could get a better value for our dollar? Also any suggestions of where to eat, or what other attractions are worth seeing while we are there would be appreciated.

I am partially disabled and don't do any rides, but can get around OK. My husband goes on rides with them...but the younger one is not a dare-devil by any means, and mostly keeps me company, or just enjoys the Midway. Last time we were there, we ended up driving home with a four-foot tall stuffed bear strapped into the middle of the back seat. It was even funnier to see us pushing him around the park in a rented stroller...but hey..that's another story. LOL!

I'm sure Hershey and the Amish Country have a lot to offer... I just want to wade through all the tourist hype, and get some Mommy Recomendations...

(We will probably visit towards the end of August, we will be driving in from NY.)

Thanks, Val
Old 01-25-2003, 06:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Lifestar!!

It's been many moons since we've been to Hersey Park--my 13 yr old was 2-3.

The one thing that really impressed me was a little Amish restaurant. I'm terrible with directions but here goes.........

As you stood facing the park--you go toward the right. It was almost out of town, I believe on the right hand side of the road--sorry--can't tell you the name. It appeared that the servers where Amish as they were dressed in the Amish dresses, etc. The place was spotless, the food out-of-this-world, and HUGE portions. Very good home-style meals--meat-potatoes etc. We ended up eatting all of our meals there--breakfast, lunch and dinner!! DH and I would get a meal and share it with the kidlets--that's how much food there was!! And VERY reasonable--most meals were under $5-6.00.

Again--that was a long time ago--the restauant may not even be there anymore-- but it would be worth the effort to find it---we asked at our hotel if there were any good places to eat and they were the ones to recommend it.

Good luck and hope you enjoy yourself.......
Old 01-25-2003, 07:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hershy Park Visit

We were there this summer and stayed at a place called Hampton Suites. I think it is part of the Marriot chains. It was real close to the park and had good rates. We had to have a refrigerator for my Hubby's meds so that was one consideration. The room had a small kitchen with coffee maker. small microwave, refrigerator. There was a small couch and tv. Friends stayed next door and they had 2 tvs -they had double beds.. It was well worth the money. There was a pool and hottub but I was too tired after the day to use them but friends did. We definitely are going to stay there again some time. The park itself is rather hilly. I am disabled and had trouble walking up all the hills but I made it. It was very hot that day and we didn't get to see everything but had a good time anyway.
Food was rather expensive but its like that everywhere anymore.
I hope you enjoy your vacation.
Valerie
Old 01-25-2003, 08:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We found a place to stay a few miles from the park....it was in New Cumberland, PA. It took about 30 minutes to get to Hershey from there, but we saved a bundle because we weren't right there at the park. It was a Holiday Inn, and they gave us coupons for the kids to eat free. For an extra $10 we had a mini-fridge in the room; with a baby along that was a life saver. Also, we had a room with 2 entrances--one to the hall and one to the parking lot. I thought it might be a safety issue, but we locked up nice and tight, and it turned out great because when the kids got antsy we could send them out to run along the grass (there was a nice little grassy area with a good climbing tree just outside the room). We could walk to a Bob Evans restaurant, and there were plenty other kid-friendly places to eat there too. New Cumberland is a little west of Hersey, but as we planned to go to Harrisburg, it was a good choice for us. On the way home from Hershey we stopped at Crystal Cave (not a good choice if you can't do the walking) and at Roadside America. Both of those were inexpensive and our kids liked them better than the amusement park!

http://www.crystalcavepa.com
http://www.roadsideamericainc.com/
Old 01-25-2003, 08:22 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

HERSHEY PARK, PA

Try camping out. My husband and I did 10 years ago. Cheaper and had a blast. We camped out north of Lancaster and did our own scenic route. Go to the local chamber of commerce office. We found several covered bridges and a lot of dirt roads that took us to great forgotten places.
I also recommend the Strausburg Rail Museum and the train near it. We also did the Amish place in Lancaster. In Lititz there is an old pretzel factory there as well. Call the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce for their Amish Country Tour package. We are going back in late June for a 10 yr annv revisit. Camping in Gettysburg and going to Lancaster for a day trip.
As for Hershey? There is a Stalagtite cave near there. Very awesome. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hershey Park

Ahhh yes. Hershey Park. It's practically in my back yard. I live about 45 min. away from there. We don't go usually because I hate rides and our daughter is too young to go on a lot of the rides by herself. It is very expensive to get in if you are just going to watch everyone go on rides. But it's a great place for the kids. Have fun!

Stacy
Old 01-26-2003, 03:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you all for your posts.

I'll check out those URL's and call the Chamber of commerce. Staying in a town near to Hershey rather than right in town is a good suggestion, and a suite hotel is a nice idea too, because bed sharing creates soooo many fights between the Dd's!

Stacy, I know what you mean about the cost of admission for me. I wish they had a "handicapped" admission ticket that would let you enter the park, use the midway etc, and not cover the rides ... for a reduced fee. Maybe I'll start a letter writing campaign .

Anyway.. thank you for all the great comments.

Val
Old 01-27-2003, 07:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

shocking Hershey Park

Look on a map for directions but nearby (about 1/2 hr on Rt 78) is a miniture Railroad display called Roadside America. It's very interesting to all ages but doesn't involve alot of time for kids to get bored. It is in Shartlesville Pa which also has a Campground w/ cabins for rent. The campground has a weekly rodeo to go to as well. Nearby in Hershy is Indian Echo Caverns which maybe cooling after Aug heat since it's a series of underground caves. I used to live acouple hrs south of there and we went to all these places yearly.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

live near Hershey

Hello,
saw your post about your upcoming visit to Hershey park. I live about 20 minutes from it and was just there in October for their Harvest night.
If you plan to visit the Lancaster area, which is where I live I would suggest staying in or near Lancaster and then just driving to Hershey. staying somewhere in between would also be great. Here are some links to web sites that might help you locate some things you would like to visit. I myself have a 13 year old and a ten year old so I am assuming they would probably enjoy similar things.

-this site will give you lots of info about Lancaster County and what it offers. Hershey will most likely be mentioned as well because it is so close. This site provides attractions, lodgings, areas of interest etc.
http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/

Right beside Hershey park is the brand new Giant Center, home of the Hershey Bears Hockey team if you would be interested in attending a professional hockey game.
Lancaster has more historiac sights than Hershey will, but there are quite a few things in Hershey that you can do.
If you need any information as to places to stay or eat in Lancaster and it's outskirt please don't hesitate to email me. I can direct you to where the Locals eat. And also let you know more specific places that might be of interest to your kids. I am disabled myself so I can certainly let you know what it accessible to the best of my ability.
Lancaster and Hershey are two great places to visit, to live in too! I have many friends that I have met online and some of them even headed to Lancaster on vacation and we had a grand time. I would suggest you try to make reservations as soon as possible because you are planning on coming during the peak tourist time. Other towns you might find of interest are Bird-In-Hand, Intercourse, and strasburg.
In strasburg they have one of the oldest steam engine trains that you can ride for i believe a 5 mile run and back, they have a train museum, little shops, ice creamery is my all time favorite!
If you care to learn more and get some more information please don't hesitate to email me. I would be more than happy to help you all plan a nice family vacation
Tam
[email protected]