Who's planning a camping trip? - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 01-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question Who's planning a camping trip?

Okay so the weather outside is frightful......what a great time to plan your next camping trip! My family and I are planning a big Tent Camping trip for Memorial Day Weekend. Now some of you may think its much to early to be planning such a trip, but for those of us who frequent the State Parks and larger campsites then you know as well as I , that they fill up really fast and a reservation is necessary.

I've been shopping online too for camping gear to replace items we've worn out and to add a few new items to our growing list of supplies. This is a great time for me to take inventory of the things we have and update my list.

I would love to hear from all you other campers out there!
Old 01-25-2003, 05:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Camping Trip

Hi Kim,

It is not too early to start planning your Memorial Day camping trip. It seems like all the campgrounds book fast for any holiday weekend. I've made that mistake before. I've decided the week before to go camping on Memorial Day and have been told by all the campgrounds in my area that they were booked. Start now. Most of the parks and campgrounds only ask for a small deposit fee. My family and I were lucky, last year we had a seasonal on site spot. We never had to move the camper and we could go anytime we wanted. This year we didn't get picked in the lottery for a spot. The campground we belong to only has a few spaces for on site.

Happy Camping,
Carolyn
Old 01-25-2003, 05:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Happy Camping indeed! We love to camp. We don't get to near enough. I found many camping items on EBay. I have a friend who got a really good deal on a big tent.
We like to go to the state parks too but have one or two private campgrounds we like. We don't usually do the many of the camping resorts although there is one we go to that's really close to our house. We do that just to get out of the house.
We also do two trips a year with the Boy Scouts. My son is a Wolf.
I enjoy camp cooking. Somehow cooking and cleaning don't seem to be a chore when we camp.
Happy Trails! Robin in NC
Old 01-25-2003, 06:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I forgot to say that we tent camp. We use Coleman stoves and laterns, candles etc.
We keep it pretty simple and like it better that way.
Robin in NC
Old 01-25-2003, 06:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We camped in Grayson Highlands State Park in southwestern Virginia about 3 years ago, and loved it! Great hikes, beautiful scenery and cool weather around 4th of July. Have both tent and RV sites. Plan to go back in the near future. Got my tent from Sams, for a good deal. They also have lots of camping things, like cheap gas.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Forgot to mention on my above post that there was horseback riding too, and easy access to the Applacian Trail. Also, nearby is a place you can rent bikes, and bike down a mountain on an old railroad bed. Did I mention that Grayson Highlands is on top of a mountain?
Old 01-25-2003, 06:29 AM

Camping

Hi,
We have a camper & a rented lot that we rent for a year at a time. We have had it for about 10 years. We haven't moved it since we got the lot. We can go year round if we want. It's close to the river. We used to go different places & tent camp, but we are getting older & don't do that anymore. There are always places to camp...it doesn't have to be at a state park or camp ground. Find a spot along a creek or river that doesn't belong to anyone & park. Alot of people will rent out camping spaces if you look around. Watch your local newspaper for ads that have lots for rent. Or if you are traveling, you can search online for camping areas in the state you are going to. Can't wait til warm weather to get here. I'm ready to go now! LOL
Old 01-25-2003, 07:33 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

PLANNING A CAMPING TRIP

Going to Gettysburg? Plan that camping trip 1 year in advance. I called over 6 camping places and found Granite Hill taking rsvp on January 1. Yeah, we got in. Expensive? Not if you consider how much a hotel would of costed.
We have been camping for over 20 years. The last 10 with my husband and the last 5 with our daughter. Yeah, we took a 9 month old camping. That was fun.
Been to Canada 3X. That was before 911. We don't plan on going back for a long while. Getting across with camping gear I've heard is a nightmare.
We are now making camping plans for Gettysburg this summer. We do have a spot and are eagerly anticipating this.
Our camping equipment is huge. We bought a 15x8 tent 3 years ago. Have 2 air mattresses and sleeping bags. I also bring, from experience, blankets. Trust me, you never know when a cold front is going to move in. Saved us twice.
A canopy over the picnic table is another blessing. If you end up in direct sunlight? Eating is a simple turn off. Especially if the heat is in the upper 80's. I recomend good eating utensils, plates and a good cookstove. It doesn't have to be a Colemans, we have a Great Lakes and its works great. I have two huge green plastic bins to store all the equipment in. Except the stove and such, but still.
Glad to see a forum on this subject. My favorite.
Start now if you want to camp out this summer. Places do fill quickly. Especially if you go near a holiday.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh my goodness we have a ton of camping equipment. I think we have 2 truck loads full! LOL

We have tents, sleeping bags, air mattresses, chairs, screen tent, folding tables, coleman stove, lanterns, coolers, and of course pots, pans and dishes etc... There are five of us that usually camp together (3 adults and 2 kids).

A friend of mine said we had everything but the kitchen sink with us when we camped. LOL but we always use everything we take with us!

I'm so glad to see so many people posting here. Keep the stories and ideas coming ladies!
Old 01-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Campers

Hi everyone,
We are campers too. We purchased a pop-up camper almost 7 years ago and love it. We bought it used a week before we went camping in Bar Harbor, ME with 2 other families. I did MEGA shopping before we left. That was also the vacation that we found out I was pregnant - SURPRISE! We took a week long trip when our daughter was 2 1/2 and this past summer, we camped at Myrtle Beach (daughter was just 5).

This year, we are planning on Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Bar Harbor in about 12 days in August. I am getting on hubby to get our route mapped out and camp grounds booked ASAP! You can never be too early to book a trip.

We have a little maintenance for the camper - nothing that can't wait until after this freeze is over, though!

Happy Camping everyone!

Lisa