Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Kathy

Thanks that does help. We are going May 6th till the 22nd, so just before school gets out.

Are you allowed to wear the backpack on rides??? I am not a real ride person so any ride I go on would be the tamer rides so any rollercaoster type rides I could hold the pack. Originally we were going to get a 4 day hopper pass to disney but when i was checking the prices it was only a few dollars more to get a 7 day pass. So i think we may do 7 days that way we could go and catch some things we missed. We are only doing 1 day at seaworld and 1 day at the space centre. The kids aslo want to go to gator world. We are hoping to rent a condo but if not we found a pretty good deal at the holiday inn kidsuites. This way we will have a kitchenette or kitchen to make meals.

Is it better to go during the week to the parks than the weekends???

Thanks again for all the info

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-13-2006, 05:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

we were there for a week.We upgraded out park tickets,we are going back!!!! we are going to shoot for June.Dont know if thats a bad time or not!!! have you gone before?? ther are character meals that are good!!!!!yes the kitchen thing is good to have we had that one time!!! we brought a backpack everyday dont know whyLOL.....but had snacks and all,rain ponchos!!!! I dont know about some rides but we took it everywhere there is usaully a spot for them by your feet!!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

oh sorry it wasnt tooo crowded I didnt think,we waited a little at some rides!!! but I didnt mind waiting!!! but who knows in the summer like someone said there is the fast pass thing!! you could find out about eating at the popular resturants!! we couldnt get into some!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Your best bet for info re: Disney ...

I HIGHLY recommend that you sign up on the DIS boards - http://www.disboards.com/

They even have a Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board

This has the BEST info available and people who will answer everything you could possibly want to know about.

Sassy's Blankets 'N More--hand-made gifts, blankets 'n more
www.sassyscrochet.com
Old 02-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Debbie,

Yes, you can take the backpack on most rides. I usually slip one strap over my leg as we get into the ride. Then hold onto the strap. I figure it can't go anywhere then.

During the week is the better time to go to Disney. No matter when you go it will probably seem busy. You could do a day or 2 at Disney then go somewhere else, then back to Disney.

Gatorland is just down the street from my neighborhood. And is a really interesting place to see gators up close. You even get to see a person wrestle a gator. And don't miss the gator-jump-a-roo. They put chicken meat over a pond of gators and the gators jump out of the water, into the air after the chicken. Also, I never knew there were so many species of gators. They also sell gator meat to eat. And the food prices aren't too bad there. Kids have a choice of a corndog or hotdog, chips and a souveniour cup that can be refilled again for about $1. The kids meals are about $3 I think. It's been a little while since we've been there. And for about $1 or $2 extra you get to ride the train around the whole park as many times as you want.

Kennedy Space Center is about an hour away. But well worth it to go see. When my DD and I went, we got to talk to a real astronaut who flew in one of the last Apollo missions. I'm sorry to say that I can't remember his name right now. But we have a picture of him with my DD. It was at the Astronaut Encounter. There was so much to see at KSC. We really enjoyed it. We also took the bus tour to the Apollo/Saturn V Center and the Observation Gantry.

Gatorland and Sea World have timed shows. We just usually look at the map and decide what shows we want to see and in what order by time and where the shows are located.

Sea World has a few rides, besides the shows.

Disney and Sea World have fireworks show everynight.

I hope this helps.

Kathy
Old 02-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

If you are staying onsite, I would highly suggest purchasing the meal plan. They offer one snack, one counter meal (walk up, order, take your food to your seat), and one sit down dinner per person. It's based on number of nights you are staying on the Disney property.

We did that last May (and are doing it again this May), and at first we did it only out of convenience. Don't have to carry additional cash for meals, it's already paid for up front so there's no stress about adding that into the last minute budget, things like that.

When we got to our first character dinner the first night, we would have spent close to $90 for that one meal alone (2 adults, 2 children). Each night, our meals ran around the same amount. When we got home, we discovered that we saved a little over $200 by purchasing our meals ahead of time through the dining plan.

If your kids are smaller, I would also suggest renting a stroller. They have large strollers that hold tons of stuff and my 6 yo and 4 yo fit nicely into the stroller without any complaining of no room.

The other nice thing about the strollers, you can leave your stuff and the stroller in a designated location near a ride, and when you come back your stroller and stuff are still all together. I did that each time last year (money and all) and never had a problem with anyone stealing our stuff. I just made sure to stuff our items way down in the carriage below the seats.

I would also highly recommend the Fast Pass. It's a huge time saver.

What we liked about going in May is that most schools are aren't out yet and spring break is over, so we didn't encounter huge crowds in any park. The only ride we waited a long time for was Soarin' at Epcot. But, if you use your Fast Pass option, you won't have to wait there either!

Hope you and your family have a blast!

Tammy
Old 02-13-2006, 07:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face Disney

Debbie
I live down near Disney also and that will be a good time to go since the school are not out yet. But you do have to deal with some seinor class. There a web site that I get new letter on disney in's and out it give up date on rides and what closed. I think it's allears.com but I get the next weekly letter tomorrow. I can send it to you if you like? It's very helpful for living in Florida and for the rest of the country! The flower and garden show will be going on at Epcot during that time plus mothers day so if you want to book any meals I advise doing it now they attend to sell out quick! Hope this helps

Terri
(edited e-mails should not be posted for security reasons, any questions please ask debknechtel)
Old 02-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

As an Orlandoan, I always suggest to visitors that, after a week of spending a lot of money on EVERYTHING, when they're about out of energy and out of money and out of patience, take the kids to Cici's for all-you-can-eat-pizza. It's not far away and it's cheap and it's kid-friendly.

Rani
Old 02-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thank you everyone for all the tips!!! I have written that pizza place down and I am sure we will have a meal there.

This is such an important trip for us since we won't have seen my hubby since feb 1st. We just want some good family fun. What about beaches??? Do you have to drive far??? A few days we just want to relax and enjoy each other. We won't be staying at a disney resort beacause there is 5 of us and we would need 2 rooms at most resorts. The extra cost is not worth it to us since we will be there 2 full weeks. I have looked at the Holiday Inn kidsuites and a few others that run around 99 a night. We really want some separate space so hubby and I can have some alone time. We have also looked into a condo rental from a travel agent here who has lots of referals from happy customers. We are just waiting for hubby to get his ticket from Dubai and then I will be able to book the rest. The 4 of us will fly from Ontario.
Are there any other great and wonderful things we should try and do while in the area???

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Debbie
There lots of fun things to do around disney! IF your into old cars there a place call Old Town and every Friday and Saturday they have car show. And there is a ton of shops and they have rides too! About the beaches your about an hour to hour and half from the east coast and about 2 hours to the west coast. There the Central Florida Zoo it cost is not bad at all a good half day trip they have tigers,cheetas,elephants,etc... And downtown Orlando has Museums for art,science and others. Hope this helps!
Terri