Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Tent Camping

Good for you to try camping! We love to camp and canoe. One thing I would suggest is to check and see if they have firewood and how much they charge. It's usually very expensive to buy it at the campsite. We bring our own. Also some campsites don't allow you to even pick up kindling to start the fire, so I suggest you bring newspaper or your own kindling. For a good dinner that we enjoy is Hobo Dinners. Make sure you bring foil. You can use almost any kind of meat. Hamburger works best. Also cut up your vegies before you leave. Take the foil and place your burger in the middle, add seasoning if you want, place your vegies over and around your burger, fold the foil and seal it good, place in the coals and cook for 20 minutes to 30 minutes depending on what kind of vegies you used. Presto a good dinner without alot of mess to clean up. I hope you try it. Enjoy and have fun!
P.S. Don't forget the first aide kit and any of you or your kids meds.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

One bit of information is the use of liquid detergent, e.g., dawn, ivory, joy - in particular one that is a grease cutter but also mild enough to use for personal use. If you use pots, old skillets (I use cast iron and an old heavy aluminum dutch oven), coat the outside with the liquid detergent - makes cleanups a lot easier. If you have an old heavy pot - food such as pinto beans, baked beans, pot roast, roast pork, turkey breasts, soups and stews can be cooked over an open fire and/or be buried in the coals to cook. Use of ziplock bags and plastic containers which nest inside each other are better than glass which can break and if you premix anything requiring milk use dry powder in your mix to which you add water at the campsite. Other mixes that can be made ahead and in bulk include recipes for chocolate, biscuit, cookies, bread, pancake, etc., and can be found in some old cookbooks. I for many years carried sourdough starter and made fresh pancakes first thing in the morning. Harriette
Old 04-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow you guys are great! I am getting soooo excited and can hardly wait to go camping Keep the great ideas coming ladies! I have been on Vacation and have not been on the boards for a few days so let me catch up! LOL
Old 06-15-2002, 05:01 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

tent camping

I am so happy for you. Tent camping can be so much fun. It can also be hard with kids. I remember one time I went tent camping and the couple next door had an infant and the poor thing was not use to sleeping anywhere but her crib so it may be a good idea to get her use to sleeping in the pack and play or whatever you will have her sleep in. Blanket sleepers are a must except in the most hot and humid summer nights. Babies never seem to stay under their covers.
Be considerate if she is disturbed take her into the car as to not disturb the other campers if she cannot sleep.
I have going for what seems like forever, I started my son when he was 4 and I could take him swimming and the like. I think the earlier the better since some kids get weirded out over bugs or rain but if they are exposed to it from an early age it goes better.
My best GF's daughter still has a rough time of it when we go camping but she enjoys the days and has gotten better every year.
I have a cheap propane grill I, the small portable one and have bought the connector so I can hook it to a big propane tank, it lasts a long time even BBQ'ing every meal, almost.
when I have electricity I will bring an electric fry pan, I can use it for frying, saute and for soups.
I also try to make meals ahead, there are only so many hot dog and hamburgers one can eat in a week.
I have a lasagna I made and froze, as well as spanish chicken, I will make an all veggie soup one night from local fresh produce. I got a real deal on chicken breast cutlets, already cooked kind purdue has, we will make sandwiches from them.
I take a broom to sweep the tent out. A mat or something to walk in and out of the tent onto. Folding chairs, it is amazing how hard a picnic table bench gets after a while. cloths line and pins, towels, toiletries, sunscreen and lip sunscreen. a first aid kit, dish towles. I keep my bread/rools/marshmallows anything not needing refrigeration in a big rubbermaid bin...keeps animals out as well as bugs and rain.
I keep a laundry basket to put the yucky stuff into.
I have what is called a kitchen center, it is stainless steel and has racks for the potable gas grill, dish pans and towles and papertowels etc. I will also be bringing a screen room. It is portable and well worth it at the seashore with all the bugs there. It also allows us a place to stay if it rains. We play games and cards there. I bring games and cards. I collected games that do not take up too much room over the years just to take camping with me.
Don't forget your condiments and spices. This all depends on how long you are going and wethere you plan to eat out.
I will also buy trout when I see it on sale and freeze it, and we will have that one day.
Don't forget beach towels for the pool. I also recommend sneakers and or sandles that you can wear if it is raining a lot. I have shoes i wear to the Y for swimming and they work well. I also have an old pair of sneakers so if they get really yucky they can be tossed out at the end of the trip.
Good Luck and have lots of fun.
I will be going 7/6 for a week....
Ruth