Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 06-18-2002, 11:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We camp every year

My husband and his family have been camping for many years. If you have questions or idea's let me know. My daughter was 6 months old on her first camping trip. We having been going for 13 years. I love it.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:52 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Any good ideas for camping with a 2 yr old. We're going on our first tent camping trip with her and although I'm excited and looking forward to it, I'm a little nervous about the way she'll be around the campfire and the cookstove, along with whether or not she'll sleep in the tent??
Old 06-20-2002, 08:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky camping with your 2 year old

Hi
lworth try to keep a lantern in the tent at night and lay with your child until she falls a sleep. I used to sing or read a book and that usually helped get her to sleep. The most important thing is to watch her when some one is cooking and during the time when the fire is burning. the other part of the trip is try to relax yourself and just enjoy it and keep her busy like swimming or playing with her toys. I used to pack a quilt for her to play on during the day if you just were staying at the camp site. I hope my advice can help you. have fun.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:56 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

back from camping with 2 yr old

Well, we did it, our first camping trip!! I've been lots of times as a kid and college student, but my husband and daughter never have been.
We had a really good time, 2yo dd had a hard time getting to sleep at her normal time so she was a little cranky the last day, but all in all it was a good trip. Had a little rain Sunday early am, but tent kept us all dry and luckily I was expecting rain, so had everything packed in car as to keep it dry.
Looking forward to going again as soon as family reunion vacation is over.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Congratulations on the sucessful camping trip!
Old 07-14-2002, 01:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

babeshere64--

do you have any ideas for keeping young kids busy on camping trips? They get bored with the usual coloring and drawing.

gina.
Old 08-10-2002, 08:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

BABE!!!

It's me!! Your neighbor! I found you....

I have nothing to offer about camping, except that with my bad back, I haven't slept on anything but my king-sized Sterns and Foster mattress in the past 15 years...

I still love camp fires and S'mores and singing at night while looking up at the stars through the haze of the campfire....

But then drive me home to my bed

I just wanted to say hi to Babe

Val
Old 09-09-2002, 05:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have been camping with our children for 25 years (our oldest daughter is now 25 and our youngest is now 5, and there are 5 boys in between!). We have always had a blast, even the time we forgot the tent!!!!

We were about 200 miles from home when my husband realized he had forgotten to put the tent in the back of the truck. It was too far to go back as we were delivering some equipment for his employer and had a time schedule to keep to. We just decided to make the best of it. We have some 2 inch mats that are 8ft X 12 ft. that we always take. They make a great ground cloth, and they also float so during the day we play on them in the water and at night we slide them under the tent for some extra cush.

We took one of the mats and put it over the truck bed, bending the sides and wedging them in the sides of the truck (it looked like a covered wagon) we then put a tarp over it. At night the 3 older boys and my husband slept back there and the youngest (who was 2) slept in the back seat of the pickup and I slept up front ( I was 6 months pregnant at the time!). It was crowded but it was a place to sleep. The last night we camped it was so rainy we had to put another tarp over the camp kitchen so I could cook We must have looked like the beverly hill billies, but it was so much fun. What could have been an awful time turned out to be the trip the kids talk about so much. Having a good time is all a matter of the state of your mind and your attitude. I could have made everyone miserable (seeing as I was pregnant and we didn't even have a tent with us), but I made up my mind that it would be fun no matter what.

We camped for 6 nights at 4 different parks as we made our journey slowly back from Arizona to Oklahoma. Our kids all love to camp. Our oldest 2 are now married and they also take thier kids camping (each has a 3 yearold). Every summer we all get together and have a camp out.