Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 03-24-2002, 04:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Can I go too?

I won't take much room up and I'll be the first to take your kids on the rides. Just wait until you are at DW and you walk through the main gate, you turn into this little kid. Then you have to keep going until you get your very first glimpes of Cinderella's castle and your knees go to mush. You are living the dream that Walt Disney created and its a real rush.
We are not going back until Jan next year and now all I want to do is pack my bags and get out of town to see Mickey and Tigger
Have a great time, and LOOK for Tinkerbell.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cheaper food tip

One thing I remember reading online sometime back was that one family ate pizza for dinner. It was cheaper than ordering a separate dish for each family member. I think they also had it delivered to their hotel room so they didn't always have to go out. Sandwiches in a cooler was also my other suggestion. We haven't been to DW or DL --either one--yet. Our girls are almost 5 and 6, and they are just starting to ask to go to Disneyland. I imagine we'll be going in the next 2 or 3 years. Have a great time!
Old 03-25-2002, 09:39 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well for monetary reasons, we have decided to go to Florida on Christmas break instead of in June. This way we can save for it longer and it will not interfere with summer school. Plus, the mosquitos should be gone by then!
Anyone been to Florida in December? I'm used to Chicagoland's cold weather, so anything is better than here! LOL But I'm wondering if it will still be warm enough for the beach?
Old 03-25-2002, 10:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For people in the north the weather in Florida in December and January is nice. I have been there in January and it was definately shorts weather, with an light jacket in the late evening. It was funny, the people in Florida were wearing heavy coats and we were in shorts and saying how nice it was. We did go swimming while we were there. I am sure that the beach would be possible.

Our friends and my family (8 of us) are planning a trip to Disney World in January of 2005. It is exciting. I love Disney World. This trip will be my third.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:38 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for that reassurance! My friend lives in Florida, about an hour from Disneyworld, she lives close to the beach. That's exactly what she told me too, that it would be warm for me LOL!
Old 03-26-2002, 03:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

dw

Being from up north,, we have always gone to florida in the winter months.. My hubby and I took the boys to disney world in November and it was such a pleasure, because the parks are not at all crowded, and we didnt have to wait long to get on rides or in shows.. It was a dream come true... We purchased hopper passes, so this way we didnt have to wait we could go in at any time.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Hi!

I live very close to Disney World. Several of my friends work there.

As for the weather in Florida, just expect the unexpected! We are know as the Sunshine State and it still surprises visitors when it rains.

This past fall it didn't really get cold until December and then it was freezing for only a week or two. We really haven't had a cold winter. We've mainly dressed in shorts and t-shirts and a light jacket if necessary.

Since Sept. 11th, all parks are searching everything you carry into the parks.

We usually pack sandwiches, snacks and cold drinks or water bottles. Sometimes we just take the water bottles and some snacks, then when we get hungry, we leave the park and return after eating in an outside restaurant.

It really depends on how much you want to carry around all day. Or do as some have suggested and leave everything in the car. But that may be hard to do if you are park hopping. Most parks are easy to get to though.

We usually park at Epcot. Then take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. Because you can park right outside Epcot, MGM or Animal Kingdom but you have to take the Monorail or a ferry to get from the parking lot to Magic Kingdom.

I usually pack some cheap (throw-away) ponchos just in case it rains or on some rides, you don't want to get wet! You can get them for about $1 at Wal-mart or other stores. Disney sells some nicer ones for about $10 each with a character on the back.
Also alot of rides are in water and you need to protect your camera from splashes! I take a plastic bag to keep anything in that I don't want to get wet, then put it inside the bag I'm carrying. That way the outside gets wet, but not the inside!

Most parks have a fastpass line now, where you can save a place in line and ride another ride until your turn comes.

Don't forget your camera! Or sunblock! Or sunglasses!

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!