Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 09-15-2002, 12:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Amtrak Fans!!!

Are there any other Amtrak riders out there?
I LOVE the train and have been riding the rails for 25 years with over 100,000 miles. Most of the routes I have ridden several to many times. There are 2 routes in particular I still need to ride to meet my goal of riding every route in the US!!!

My husband has been transferred cross country several times. Each time we moved I went via train! I also ride up to Washington every few years to visit. The train from Los Angeles to Seattle is called the "Coast Starlight" and it is my favorite!!!

I travel cheap...always a coach seat and carry all my own food as well. We are just your normal everyday working class, living paycheck to paycheck people, but I love going on the train whenever I can!!!

Any other train riders out there?
peace,train
Old 09-16-2002, 04:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi trainlady,
I havent been on Amtrack yet, but we are considering it. My son is going into the service and wants us to attend his graduation from bootcamp in April or May in Calf. so we'll be going from Missouri to Calf.
I would appriciate any info you could give me, I am really looking forward to this trip I have always wanted to ride.......
Old 09-16-2002, 03:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Graceygrammy,
That would be the Texas Eagle or Southwest Cheif train, depending on what part of Missouri you live in. That will take you to Los Angeles and then the Pacific Surfliner train down into San Diego.
Call 1-800-usa-RAIL for a free travel planner that will cover any questions you may have.Ask for a timetable as well.

The Texas Eagle leaves Chicago daily at 3:00 in the afternoon, arriving in St. Louis at 9 PM that evening.
The Southwest Cheif leaves Chicago at 3:15 PM and gets into Kansas City at 10:30 PM.

Peace,train
Old 09-19-2002, 06:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks train, I am so excited about going, I cant wait to get all the info. I just know I'm going to love it. As far as I can tell the closest place to leave from is Sedalia, Mo. Its alittle bit of a drive but it's closer than Kansas City, although it might be cheaper to go on to KC. I cant wait to get all my info
Old 09-21-2002, 11:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Train Lady

I love the train also. I've been riding the train since I was a little girl. My 3 DS loves the ride also. I have a secret to tell, please don't tell anyone. We are all scared to fly.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Leahcoats, a fellow amtrak rider!!!
Where have you ridden and do you have a favorite route?

Are you a West Virginia native? I have been thru there on the train out of Indianapolis to the East coast, such a beautiful state you live in! It has been interesting meeting women from so many different corners of the world on this forum!

As for the flying, please don't tell anyone, but me too!!
peace,train
Old 09-22-2002, 03:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Train Lady

Hi Ms. Train Lady. It's nice to meet you. I usually travel to Philadelphia. I was raised up in West Virginia, then moved to Philadelphia in 1988. I stayed there until my mother and grandmother passed away. In 1999 I moved back to West Virginia. My 12 year old son was granted a wish through "Make A Wish Foundation in 2000, his wish was Disney World, we went by Amtrak. I had the opportunity for the first time to sleep in the sleeper card, great experience. Yes, West Virginia is a beautiful and basically a great state. Hope to be talking to you some more.

God Bless,
Old 09-22-2002, 09:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sorry to hear about your mom and grandmother dying.
Sounds like you are a wonderful and brave mother caring for a special child. God Bless you and your family.

Which do you like better West Virginia or Philly?
What was Disneyworld like? I would love to go someday...but my first choice for any vacation would be New York City!

BTW, your name is one of my favorite names!

peace,train
Old 09-23-2002, 04:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Train Lady

Well, actually they are both are neutral. I like WV because of the quietness and old friends. I'm very happy at the church we belong to. Both me and my children are very involved. I like Philly because of the choices of shopping areas available. When I left Philly in 1999, it was getting really bad up there. In other words not so safe for children, but understand that WV has it faults also, but not as bad as Philly, at least in the area I live in. If your ever this way give me a call [Edited by Assistant Administrator. Please do not post personal info. on these boards for safety reasons. You can contact her by PM or email if you would like for her to have this info. Thanks, Tami]
As far a Disney, the first place Iwould reccommed is Universal Studios and Island of Adventures. Although it's actually not in Disney, but close. Disney World itself is "Awesome". If you would like to visit all sites, plan a day for each activity, including a couple of shopping days. What ever you do start early in the morning as possible. It takes at least a whole day to cover each park. International Drive is a great shopping strip, with a lot of store, restuarants, and amusements. This is where Wet-n-Wild is located. One of the well know water parks. Call 1-800-GOORLANDO and request the Orlando Magic Card. It's free but gives you substantial discounts on Hotels, restuarants, and amusements. For example. Days Suites usually run about $140-$169 per night, but with the card you and stay for as little as $59 per night I hope this have helped you some.

This is one of my short term goals, that I'm working on. We want to go back.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Leah,
Thanks for the info!! Sounds like you had a blast at Disneyworld!!!
We are going to Disneyland sometime in December!! (I was given 2 tickets for my birthday which is the only reason we could afford to go right now) Anyways, I am looking forward to that. I havn't been in 12 years!!
Take care, train