Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The Coast Starlight has 29 stops with refueling in Portland.

The Texas Eagle has 40 stops with refueling in El Paso and Fort Worth.

The Chief has 33 stops and refueling in Albuquerque

The Empire Builder has 40 stops with refueling in Whitefish and Minot.

The Zephyr...35 stops, refeuling in Salt Lake City and Denver.

A "stop" lasts 5 or so minutes and refueling 20 to 45 minutes.

No my friend, do NOT open the window or you will get your head cut off, literally!!

You can get a North America rail Pass which will allow you 30 consecutive days of travel with unlimited boarding and detrianing anywhere along the way.

If you did a west coast trip, circling the US, give yourself 7 travel days and however many you would want to spend at each destination!

hugs, train
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My next train trip will be this summer on the Coast Starlight up to my old stomping grounds of Washington!
I am SO excited!
My last trip was 3 years ago!
If I won the lottery I would take a trip every summer and I would also "graduate" from coach to a sleeper.

I have a new boyfriend now named Arthur and he is in my knees and back which makes the coach seat not as comfortable for sleeping as in the past!

I still have not finished my last two routes but that will probably take winning the lottery,, too, at this point!

Anyone been on any..........or planning any....train trips?

hugs, train
Old 05-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

cross-country train trip?

Hi trainlady! DH is thinking we might take a trip to Vermont & back here to CA, maybe next year, or 1 1/2 yrs. Our DS now lives in VT & is a cook at the Trapp Family Lodge (Sound of Music family).
I'm in a wheelchair. Seems like it might it be a nice vacation for us. I haven't checked the pice yet though.

momperson
Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

tryng to talk my cousin to ride it on the way up here to see me from Okla, I may have to ride it again to go to Okla this summer.

Donna thinking of the book that I read to John due to his eyes was so poor to read the pages of the book that you shared with us.
remember the times we visit with you.
Enjoy your trips and sorry Arthur picked you for his gfriend.. he no fun to be around, but sticks like glue once he moves in from time to time. Do your best to deal with him, and hope he doesn't stick around to much.
see ya.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barbar,
It was a joy to meet you and John. I have pictures of us taken in Fort Worth, my last time thru on the train. Those pics are right here on my FAmily Corner Wall of FAme, so you are both right here next to me in my heart.
John was so sweet and he will always have a special place in my heart! I can still hear him saying.........."It must be someone from Family Corner" the way you were squealing and crying at the door!"

I was honored to meet your sweet, dear husband.
I was also honored to share my book with both of you. Hard to believe that book was written nearly 20 years ago! I was so proud of that accomplishment back then.
My, how times have changed since I wrote that book!

So, did your cousin decide to come see you from Okla or are you going to amtrak there?

Momperson, Hello! I havn't seen you online in eons! (Unless you are just on totally different threaads than me)
Anyway, I would recomend the Zephyr to Chicago and then northeast to Vermont. The scenery is prettier than the Eagle, no matter what time of year you travel.
If you are the type of person who enjoys meeting people, enjoying the scenery and not is an rush to get from CA to VT, you will LOVE the train.
If you are on a tight schedule, then I would say fly!

hugs, train
Old 04-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

May 8th is National Train Day so wave at the Amtrak if it goes thru your town!!!!

hugs, train
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Anyone planning an Amtrak trip in 2013?

hugs, train
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I. Might be. If I do it could be coming to Calif. Lol. Close to Mos Angels. How long would that takes us?