Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Tips and advice for traveling to Wilmington, NC beaches and Myrtle Beach?

We've decided to go to the beach this summer in August before school starts. It's about a 4 hr. drive for us to Myrtle Beach or to the beaches around Wilmington, NC.

Does anyone have any frugal tips for me for lodging, the beaches, entertainment..etc?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Nine Year Member

Hi Tami, I can't really help in your quest for frugality, but here's my thoughts....
You don't really want to stay in Myrtle Beach do you?? If not you can find some affordable hotels in Leland, NC within easy reach to the beaches of Brunswick and New Hanover Counties. Of course, I live in Brunswick County and work in Leland. They recently opened to new hotels-Hampton Inn and Best Western, don't know their prices but I know they'd be cheaper than Myrtle Beach. Of course, Myrtle Beach has a bit more of the amenities that you might want-more things to do when you don't want to go to the beach.
We have the Battleship, right off Leland, if you haven't visited it before. Of course there's Fort Fisher in Carolina Beach and Brunswick Town in Winnabow(Brunswick County)-both of these are free to explore and learn a bit of history from. We have golf-lots of golf courses-we don't golf though. We have parks to visit, the Community College has a gym and pool -there's a daily fee but it's open to the public.The aquarium is down the road from Fort Fisher, and more than I could begin to mention. I haven't actually been to many places myself in the 17 years I've been here.
Wrightville Beach is 19min. from Leland, need cash for parking to most of the beaches these days. Carolina Beach is the family oriented beach, and 21 miles away-4x4 vehicles have access to the beach at Freeman Park-you can camp there on the beach-you need to purchase a day or season pass to the Park. Carolina Beach has a boardwalk with all kinds of attractions too. Kure Beach is 24 miles from Leland, down the road from Fort Fisher and the aquarium. Holden Beach has your beach amusements-go carts, arcades, carousels, food shops, etc-36 miles from Leland.
If you want to check out the Best Western in Leland go to this link Leland NC Hotels | Best Western hotels in Leland NC
I personally don't like the traffic patterns of Myrtle Beach and avoid it totally-although I may try to venture down there next month for my birthday at Red Lobster-I've been told a back way to get to it....LOL
Whether you decide to make Myrtle Beach your base while you visit the area or not-let me know when you'll be coming please-I'd love to meet one day, if I know for sure in advance I can make sure about getting a day off from work.
take care, Pam
Old 06-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Nine Year Member

My Dad lives in Loris SC and it takes about 30 min to get to the beach when we visit which isn't a bad drive to save a lot on hotels. If you are getting a motel you can save money by not being right on the beach but walking a block or two.

When we visited 2 yrs ago we were able to get Mrytle Beach t-shirts at Walmart for $3.33 vs the $10-15 at the beach. So think outside of the box when looking for gifts.

Roberta
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekmom View Post
Hi Tami, I can't really help in your quest for frugality, but here's my thoughts....
You don't really want to stay in Myrtle Beach do you?? If not you can find some affordable hotels in Leland, NC within easy reach to the beaches of Brunswick and New Hanover Counties. Of course, I live in Brunswick County and work in Leland. They recently opened to new hotels-Hampton Inn and Best Western, don't know their prices but I know they'd be cheaper than Myrtle Beach. Of course, Myrtle Beach has a bit more of the amenities that you might want-more things to do when you don't want to go to the beach.
We have the Battleship, right off Leland, if you haven't visited it before. Of course there's Fort Fisher in Carolina Beach and Brunswick Town in Winnabow(Brunswick County)-both of these are free to explore and learn a bit of history from. We have golf-lots of golf courses-we don't golf though. We have parks to visit, the Community College has a gym and pool -there's a daily fee but it's open to the public.The aquarium is down the road from Fort Fisher, and more than I could begin to mention. I haven't actually been to many places myself in the 17 years I've been here.
Wrightville Beach is 19min. from Leland, need cash for parking to most of the beaches these days. Carolina Beach is the family oriented beach, and 21 miles away-4x4 vehicles have access to the beach at Freeman Park-you can camp there on the beach-you need to purchase a day or season pass to the Park. Carolina Beach has a boardwalk with all kinds of attractions too. Kure Beach is 24 miles from Leland, down the road from Fort Fisher and the aquarium. Holden Beach has your beach amusements-go carts, arcades, carousels, food shops, etc-36 miles from Leland.
If you want to check out the Best Western in Leland go to this link Leland NC Hotels | Best Western hotels in Leland NC
I personally don't like the traffic patterns of Myrtle Beach and avoid it totally-although I may try to venture down there next month for my birthday at Red Lobster-I've been told a back way to get to it....LOL
Whether you decide to make Myrtle Beach your base while you visit the area or not-let me know when you'll be coming please-I'd love to meet one day, if I know for sure in advance I can make sure about getting a day off from work.
take care, Pam
Thank you so much, Pam!! You're right, we don't really want to go to Myrtle Beach so your info. will help me so much! We're planning on heading that way some time in Aug. - probably the second or third week, right before school starts. I will let you know more as I know more.

I would LOVE to meet you!!! Thanks again for the info. I'll keep in touch as time goes by!

Hugs,
Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaD View Post
My Dad lives in Loris SC and it takes about 30 min to get to the beach when we visit which isn't a bad drive to save a lot on hotels. If you are getting a motel you can save money by not being right on the beach but walking a block or two.

When we visited 2 yrs ago we were able to get Mrytle Beach t-shirts at Walmart for $3.33 vs the $10-15 at the beach. So think outside of the box when looking for gifts.

Roberta
We don't mind walking or even driving a little way to the beaches -- at least I don't to save $$$

We're not planning anything over the top for this trip.... just to take the kids to the beach and possibley to the aquarium if we're in the area for it. I would like to find a hotel with a kitchenette to save some $$ on eating out all of the time.

I really like the idea of buying shirts, hats...etc at WalMart to save $$!!

Thanks, Roberta!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I see this thread is a bit old, but the Wilmington part caught me eye and I can't help but post - I absolutely love Wilmington, it's got some great history in the downtown area along the Cape Fear river - your kids might like to explore the battleship there! Also, the beaches get extremely crowded in August and parking is so difficult (and expensive) I suggest parking in one of the Church parking lots right before you get to the bridge over the intercoastal - it's only about a 5 or 10 min walk and definitely worth it to save $10 in my opinion
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Hey Tami, don't forget, if you get to come home for a visit sometime, I'm only about 45 miles SE from Pittsburgh.

When my friend Mary travels to the beach (Myrtle, Rehobeth, etc ) she shops on line for deals. Depending on where and when you go you can get some good deals. Week days are cheaper than weekends. A lot of times she gets together with other family members or friends and they rent a condo. Be sure you get something with a kitchen and take as much food with you as possible to cut down on that bill also.

Last edited by Coll; 02-07-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekmom View Post
take care, Pam
If you're just looking for a Red Lobster that's close, there is one in Jacksonville, NC. That's Closer to Wilmington than Myrtle
Old 01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Can you believe that we haven't made it to the beach yet!!??

I'm still going to write down all of these suggestions to save $$$. The way it looks now my dh will have a vacation week during Memorial Day weekend but I am NOT going to the beach with the rest of NC at that time. lol!!

What is the earliest time of year that it is warm enough to spend time at the beach but is still off peak times--is there such a thing?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Nine Year Member

Hi Tami, I personally don't hit the water until June or July up here.. In FL I'd get to the beach in April at the earliest. Now my kids and gks will hit the water in April-sometimes, it's just still too cold for me.
We used to go to the beach in FL on Memorial Day-one because it was a day off and two to celebrate a friends birthday too.. We'd definitely plan on going early in the day to get a good spot and we'd be there most of the day. Otherwise I'd never consider going to the beach on a day like Memorial Day or that weekend at all.
But, June is a good time to come to the beach. It's the beginning of the summer and people haven't really gone on vacations yet-gets too hot in August and you've got the 4th of July to contend with in July.
Hope you make it this time around, don't forget to let me know when you're in town so we can try to get together...
Pam