Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 07-05-2002, 04:53 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Planning our first camping trip!

Ok, after 6 1/2 yrs of marriage and begging, I have agreed too go camping!
The last time I camped I was 16 that was (gulp) 17 yrs ago!! I enjoyed it then. But then decided my idea of a vacation needed too include a hotel with all the amenties.Yes, I became spoiled! LOL But now that I have become a more frugal person, I decided camping might be fun!Now I am just trying too figure out what all I need and what can waait till a later trip. I have too kids ages 3,5. We will have a tent not a real large one 7x11. But, should be big enough for my gang. We will have sleeping bags and airmattresses. I am going too take my portable propane grill, I figure that will do for a cook stove this year. What else do you consider a necessity. I am going too try too do this a frugal as possible, but anything else we need I will try too borrow, for this year. I'm excited but a little overwhelmed. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 07-05-2002, 05:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

aubry...I am sooo excited for you! I absolutely LOVE to tent camp. I am spoiled though so we still only camp in campgrounds with water and electricity and clean bathrooms! LOL I am probably the worst person to give camping advise though because I take everything with me...LOL but I use everything I take!

But here are a few pointers:

Something to keep the kids busy....games, crayons, books, buckets and shovels, etc...

Take 2 coolers- one for drinks (gets opened a lot) and one for food (only open as necessary)

No matter what the weather is like ALWAYS take a jacket and rain gear! You never know when you will need them!

FIRST AID KIT!!!

Ziploc bags, paper towels, foil, toilet paper and garbage bags....don't leave home with out them!

Radio, flashlights, and batteries.

MARSHMALLOWS! Even if its pouring down rain they will cheer up any camping trip!

Take along an extra tarp it will come in handy if you have rain.

Sunscreen, bug spray, fly swatter....always need these.

I'm sure there are many other things you are more concerned with. I have a whole list of camping gear that we take (I keep an inventory sheet...LOL). DH say's I'm obsessed with being an organized camper!

If you would like any more ideas just pm me or email me and I'd be glad to share my list with you!

Just remember the most important thing....Have fun and enjoy your family time!
Old 07-05-2002, 11:36 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks Kim!!
I am going too print out what you have suggest above! And use it too help me prepare!
One nice thing we are going too have electricity and water. They usually give those too popup campers. But said they have nother reservations for that week, so for 2 more dollars a night we can have it. I said YES! it is the end of August and I know most schools in PA will be getting ready too go back to school the next week. So it should be nice and quiet. I'm starting too get so excited and it is about 6wks away!!
Old 07-06-2002, 09:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Camping

I love camping....we go every year to Idaho and camp for 2 to 3 weeks....we have done tent camping and tent trailor camping...I prefer campgrounds with bathroom/showers and water....
be sure to take lanterns...citranella candles...water...tp just in case...coffee pot....extra food....towels....pot and pan for cooking or a cast iron kettle.....plastic table cloth cause generally tables are yuck....LOL....oh I want to go camping again.....we also fish alot too....wonderful meal....we take for that we also cook at home....roast...hamburgers potatoes etc....kids love it....hope you have a wonderful time
Old 07-14-2002, 01:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

kimmyo--

what a great idea to take a seperate cooler for drinks, I never would have thought of that. thank you that will be so much better than finding the general store and paying too much for more ice!!!

could you e-mail me your inventory list? [email protected]

thank you.
gina.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! I'm new at this but was browsing through the forum and had to join in. I just came back from a wonderful two week vacation in Williamsburg. We own a fifth wheeler but also use tents. Nothing fancy, I always say my camper was owned by Jed Clamped because its anchient. We love it though. As for a good camping list, I found a perfect sight for you to check out. Go to www.listorganizer.com/camping.htm. There you will find a list that has everything you can possibly need for camping and its free! They also have other free lists that you might enjoy. One major thing that has helped me is making my own list from other peoples lists, then when I go camping, I take the list with me. If I have forgotten something, I write it down for our next camping trip! After 15 years my list is perfect and I keep it in a safe place for each time we go camping. Hope you have a nice time! Remember, whatever you forget, there is always a store somewhere that can supply you with your needs!
Old 08-02-2002, 06:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bettyhopkins--

What a neat site, thank you.

gina.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Love camping too.

Hi,
I love to camp. I've been camping since I was 6 months old. We've done the whole shpill. So we've camped quite a lot. My husband doesn't like to camp, so I go with my son and daughter, and their spouses. We just bought a tent camper, (my husband says he bought it for me to get me off his back. lol) Anyway, I make sure I have whatever cooking utensils I need, pots, pans, long handled utensils for working near an open fire, and gloves that go up to my elbows. Keeps my hands and arms from getting burned. I have stakes, like the ones you put yard flags on, for the long handled utensils and gloves. I have paper plates, cups, silverware. They can be washed and used again. I also have 2 dishpans, dish liquid, bath soap, bath towels, dish towels, air mattress, air pump, lotion, shower stuff, tablecloths, shower shoes, lanterns, candles, flashlights, hand cleaner, games for the kids, and adults, sleeping bags, extra blankets, stick matches, bug spray, first aid kit, camera, extra clothing and shoes, I always take one extra set of clothes per day, just in case I need them. Extra coats, long pants, and shirt for chilly evenings.
When I only had my tent, my dad made me a couple boxes for the cooking stuff, canned or boxed foods, dry mixes (jiffy mix, macaroni, etc, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc.) The long handled utensils and hot mits and tablecloths went into a wheeled tote. Worked for me, but it was a real pain loading and unloading. Now, with the trailer, it's so much easier.
Have fun, camping is so peaceful and relaxing. LOVE TO CAMP
Old 07-31-2004, 07:07 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oh my goodness!
I haven't posted here in the longest time! But, when I got the newsletter today. I remebered I found alot of good camping advice here. So I decided too check it out. Imagine my surprise when I spot my post from 2yr ago! LOL
I am now planning my 2nd camping trip! We did end up having a blast the first time thru. We skipped last year, had a newborn baby and the car just wasn't big enough had too wait for a van. I also learned that a 7 x11 tent is definately not big enough for a family of 4! Especially when it was only about 4 ft tall!
This year we have a 3 room cabin tent 14 x 20, and 6 ft tall from end too end! We learned out lesson!
I am taking notes, of all the stuff I have forgotten about over the last 2 years!
Paula