Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

View Poll Results: Does your neighborhood offer free entertainment of any kind during the summer?
Yes, we have events like this around us 16 69.57%
No, we don't have anything like this around us 5 21.74%
I'm not sure if we have anything like this around us or not 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We live in a small town which mostly has a parade each year and a free concert. The fire company has Santa ride on a firetruck each year and passes out candy bars to the homes that have small children and they have a toy donation drive for children that the parent can't afford much. A picnic is furnished for all members and guest's of the hunting club. And some of the sport's club's hold an anual fishing rodeo for the children, prizes are given for size of fish caught. The largest city close to us offers the free concerts and movies at the park. Free fireworks for 4th of July. And concerts held on an open Mall every Friday, called Friday after Five. Halloween parade with prizes given for category costumes.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

None...there is nothing like that in this town or any of the towns around us...even fireworks on July 1st cost money to see them...

Hugs...
Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

our "neghborhood" only offers kid watching, ie: street basket ball and blairing music (?)
City has free fireworks display over the Mississippi river. Everything else like the summer concerts are paid admission. The mayor (who just resigned) has systematicly (sp) killed off some of our best summer activities. Liberty Land ammusment park (free admission for early customers who re working poor), colliseum (where our former hocky team played free admission to low or no income children & 1 parent), the Pyrimid (which sits empty and taxpayers are still paying for) and many free fun things for children.
Some businesses have stepped up and offer classes in arts, making things, etc. charging only for supplies. It's great, but the kids who don't even have that miss out.
I get a Pink Palace museum pass for grandparents (allows 2 adults and up to 10 kids) and take my grandkids blood related and aquired. This pass also allows us to go to the nature center. The people at both the admission booth don't even ask, they just smile and hand us our stickers lol. I have a beautiful rainbow of children lol
Old 06-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

We have a new sports park that offers free movies every Friday. On July 4th there was usually a street fair during the day with carnival type booths but none last year due to the economy. If they can get a sponsor they have fireworks at the stadium in the evening. They tried charging one year and it didn't go over too well, so if no sponsor picks it up then they don't do the fireworks.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
The park near us (practically in our back yard) offers free movies during the summer, too. The only problem is that it starts at dusk ...just when the bugs come out here in this muggy, hot weather. Not fun! Since we had a "bad" winter, the weathermen keep saying that we will probably have a "bad" summer with lots of rain and hot, humid weather.

I think that we will stick to the free movie theater movies this year. Love that air conditioning. lol!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Assistant Moderator

My town used to have classes all summer that were cheap or free. The city is trying to start this up again. I may be teaching the card making at the library. Another business is trying to get concerts set up.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:25 AM

We just had our Children's Day. They had the 4-H clubs there showing different things. I took the boys. They learned about bugs, recycling, how to make a balloon blow up without blowing it up ( am mixture of sugar, yeast and warm water), they got to feed and pet sheep and then watch them get sheered.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Nine Year Member

In our town we have swimming lessons at the lake, rec at the parks, many activities at the library, fire works, Lacey day, Zoo and other activities in near by towns....
Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Assistant Moderator

Our local library has lots of kid themes entertainments during the holidays

Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Nine Year Member

we have several local towns with weekly concerts and movies. Mostly they show the same movies, but maybe on different nights. They usually have different bands playing though.
Our libraries also have summer reading programs and some other programs as well for different age groups. The local museums and parks have programs in place for the summer too.
The local cinemas have summer movie specials too, but they've gone up in price a bit.. I sill might try to get off a couple of times during the summer to take the gk's.