Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

View Poll Results: Have you had successful yard sales?
Yes, I've used some/all of these tips & had a successful sale. 6 31.58%
I'm planning a sale & will put these tips to good use. 3 15.79%
I've had sales but some/all of these tips are new to me. 3 15.79%
I'm not planning on having a yard sale any time soon. 7 36.84%
I didn't find these hints & tips to be helpful. 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Yard Sales...A Great Way to Make Some Extra Money!

Are you looking for an easy way to make some extra money? Consider having a yard sale!

For some great tips on having a yard sale, read "Garage Sale Survival Tips". This short article is packed full of very helpful tips and tricks for having a successful sale.

Have you had a successful yard sale in the past? We would love to hear about it. Please read the article and let us know if you've used any of these tips.

If you're planning on having a sale, did this article give you any ideas? Was it helpful?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My Mom & Aunt r having a Yard Sale next weekend @ my Aunt's house and a few other family members will b having their items 4 sale also. We usuaally do this 1x a year and we have a blast!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 06:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Some good tips here and some I had not heard of before. I have had sales in the past last one 2 yrs ago. Some I made out pretty good but others did not fare so well. But enjoyed having them and meeting diff people from the neighborhood that I had never known before
Old 07-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Their will b 4 of us doing it this year so we will run an ad in the paper and then the cost is split 4 ways. Soooooo cheap!!
Old 07-04-2008, 07:10 AM

Happy face

I don't have very many yard sales.. most of the stuff I want to get rid of is junk or else I'd keep it.. Whatever is left goes to the charities to get whatever they can out of it. When our mobile home park has a community sale, they have a truck that comes around & picks up anything that's left & they take it to the shelters to give to people that need it. Also, once a year, the Kidney Foundation sends out a flyer & asks for clothing. They pick it up & then sell what they can to help make money to help someone get a kidney.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Assistant Moderator

I've had 3 garage/yard sales in 13yrs, they are a wonderful way to get rid of things you've outgrown from in the house, your tastes have changed, or you no longer need.

Pricing I found easier to mark each item as I found that putting things in groups sometimes people would collect things from different groupings, different prices and want the cheaper price, if you don't mind the down mark in price that is ok.
Some people are hardcore about their bargaining so if you have stuff you want that $'s for stick to it .... all in all they are great and can be good for meeting neighbours you've not met before.

I make them for summer with longer days with early morning starts, 6am open you get those people on their way to work and all those extras passing who will all have the rest of the day to do their stuff.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:13 PM

I need to clean out by basement and think I have enough stuff to have a garage sale. I will have to give this some thought.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Made about $1250 at ours 3 weeks ago! ;-)

We had a yard sale about 3 weeks ago and made just over $1250!! Yep, One thousand two-hundred and fifty dollars! I've never had one in the past 8 years where we didn't make at least $800.

Our most expensive item was $40 - that was for a desk that I had paid $300 for and was barely used - sad to see it go (it was very pretty) but switched to a laptop at Christmas so hadn't used it since.

Only thing in the article I didn't 'agree' with - is the "don't price things low". We had many items that we priced at 25 cents - every single one of them sold!

Things like older 3-ring binders (but in good shape) easily go flying out for 50 or 25 cents depending on the size - price them any higher and you are stuck with them! Excess notepads went for 25 cents! At the end of it we had almost $50 just in quarters! So it all adds up and makes people feel like they got a steal!! And when people are happy and feel like you have a reasonably price sale - they tell friends & family.

We had quite a few people who called friends and family while still at our sale telling them they needed to come and take a look! Also folks who came back the next day bringing family with them

Free Box - have a box or area set aside for things that you don't feel right about putting prices on. Things like old cell phone cases, plastic mardi gras beads, kids little bouncy balls, stickers, etc. People LOVE free stuff! So do kids! They see the Free sign out there next to things and stop just for that and end up liking the look and price of something else oftentimes :-)

Bunch things together - we did make sets out of some things. For some reason we had drawers full of dry erase markers and sharpies! Put 4 or more in a ziploc bag and wrote on the ziploc bag $1 and they sold in the first hour!

We also had a big ice chest full of ice and cold, bottled water we got from Costco - charged 50 cents a bottle (cost us about 15 cents a bottle!) sold over 50 bottles those 2 very hot days! Extra $17+ profit and lots of happy customers!! They didn't feel the heat & sun so much because of having nice cold water and stayed looking longer = bought more!

Advertise on Craigslist.com for your area. It's free and we had a number of people who told me that is how they found us.

Warn your neighbors a few days before. They usually don't mind if they know there will be lots of traffic ahead of time. Otherwise you may end up with them upset with you!

Move your car away from your house so there is plenty of parking in front for customers! We move ours several houses away. If they don't have anywhere to park they won't stop.

CHANGE - have gets lots of one $ and five $ bills - we usually get about $100 in ones, $100 in fives and $40 in tens. A roll or two of quarters as well.

Wear a garden apron or waist apron with pockets to keep your bills in - keeps it easy to make change and keeps it from getting possibly stolen if you turn your back. This is a horrible thought but that can happen when you have change box and go to help someone answer questions and turn your back on it :-(

Have a calculator on hand also!

Bags - have lots of the plastic grocery bags on hand so that people can take their deals home easily. Its just another one of those things that seem to make people really happy when you ask them if they would like a bag and costs you nothing. Happy customers tell friends!

Those are just some of the things that I do when having a sale that seem to really make business boom and which people have commented on.

Lastly - A BIG smile and hello as people walk up!

erica
monroe, wa - can you tell I'm still excited by how much we made!!

Last edited by irissa; 07-07-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great tips! I'm thinking about possibly posting some items on an online auction site to pickup a little extra cash. I think doing an auction will be a lot of fun.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:31 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irissa
Those are just some of the things that I do when having a sale that seem to really make business boom and which people have commented on.
Wow Erica that is fabulous! And thank you so much for all the great tips, that was wonderful of you to share! Congrats on your success, the most I ever made was $400, so I will definitely follow some of your tips.