Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question Chicago anyone?

We are going to Chicago in 2 weeks and will be there for the 4th of July, our first, and are looking for suggestions. Anyone know of a place for good deep dish pizza? great, but not run of the mill food? fun but not too expensive places to visit? Must do's? I appreciate your travel adivise! Thanks!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi, Cooked I live about an hour away from Chicago. The Taste of Chicago will still be going on & there are all kinds of food to taste in one place. Admission is free but the food can be a little pricy. I also am giving you a link to visiting Chicago:

City of Chicago

It is from the tourism bureau & tells how to get around,where to eat, museums etc. I would definitely go to the Museum of Science & Industry, Field Museum, The Art Institute, & The Planetitarium. I have been to all of them several times. Have a good time & enjot "The Windy City"!!

Gloria

We all need to help save our planet before it's too late

Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Gloria! Thanks so much for the link, I am going there right now! We are very excited about the Feild Museum, Sears Tower (not me), the zoo and the aquarium. We are there 3 1/2 days so we are packing in as much as we can. I am going to check that link now! Thanks again

Old 07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

You're welcome, Cooked. I had forgotten about the aquarium, which we have been to. Here's also a link about a discount pass:

CityPass : Visit 5 Chicago attractions for just $59, a $115 value!

You can buy it at any of the attractions.

Here's a link to a FREE trolley to help get you around:

Chicago Free Trolley Bus-Save money, avoid cabs and see Chicago the easy way

Make sure that you take one that says free(there are ones you pay for-read tips on this page).

I was disappointed in the restaurants on the tourism page. Pizza Uno is the original deep dish:

Pizzeria Uno in Chicago, IL - AOL City Guide

We have also been to Ed Debevic's but i am not sure how far it would be from you(we drove):

Ed Debevic's in Chicago, IL - AOL City Guide

We have been to both in addition to The Rainforest Cafe, Rock & Roll Mcd's,Applebees, Bennigan's & the restaurants in the museums. I was disappointed that the pass & trolley were not even mentioned on the tourism page( I had not been on the tourism page until today other than send it to you). I had heard about the pass & trolley & searched for them. I hope this helps your visit. There is more to do in Chicago(Cubs,Sox, other museums etc) but time & money will probably limit you. Have a great time!!

Gloria

Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Gloria, again, thanks! I have been looking around and this is the first time I have heard about the trolley, I can hardly wait! Also, I have found a few restaraunts that sound really good, have you heard of them? Army and Lou's, Heaven on seven & Lou Malnati's? They all sound really interesting. My husband wants pizza, pizza and more pizza! We are not going to eat till we get there! lol We go 1st thing Thursday! Yippee

Old 07-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Cooked(what is your first name?) I live in Indiana but our tv stations & everything are out of Chicago so we might as well be in Illinois!! We are like another Chicago suburb LOL. Anyway last year they talked about the trolley(on tv news) & I remembered it & I looked it up again. I had seen the pass info on some website last year & thought it would be a good idea if you were doing a bunch of museums in a week. We usually do one or two every year or so since we are close(1 hr away).
I had to search two of your restaurants. I had heard of Lou Malnati's & their pizza(but never had it) but not the other two. They sound interesting but I would not go to Army & Lou"s at night, could be in a rough neighborhood. Not trying to be prejudice, just safe. The south side of Chicago has a rough reputation.

Gloria

Old 07-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks for the heads up! Now you have me wondering though, we are staying in Naperville, and it seems quite close. I am now wondering about our choice? Oh and it's Jodi

Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Jodi, I mapquested Army & Lou's & it is not near Naperville but more in Chicago proper(75th & Martin Luther King Dr). Do you have an atlas?? Naperville is a suburb of Chicago. I have put the link to the mapquest here:

Army & Lou's Map of Chicago on Centerstage Chicago - Chicago City Life in Chicago, Illinois

Naperville is west of Chicago & the restaurant looks to be near to 90/94 (Dan Ryan Expressway). Not even close. But the restaurant IS in the south side. Since you love chocolate, if you get a chance go to Macy's(used to be Marshall Field). Their chocolate is supposed to be great(I have never had it but it is always talked about on tv at Christmas).

Gloria

Old 07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Gloria, you have been more than wonderful! I do love chocolate, and if I can I will go to Macy's to have some. I will let you know how it went when I get back! Thanks again for all your information! I'm off for Chicago!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Jodi, how was your Chicago trip?? Did you like it??

Gloria