Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Proper RV Park Etiquette?

I am wondering if there is such a thing as proper RV Park etiquette? Last week, when I went to do my laundry, a lady had all the washers going with all her laundry. Today, a lady had all the washers PLUS another load waiting!!! My in-laws who RV quite a bit told me that it was improper to use all the washinging machines that one should leave 1 or 2 in case others need them. Are these my in-laws' rules for being respectful or is this accepted etiquette? If so, where would I find where the list of proper etiquette is found so I can make a copy for the manager? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi - As an RVer I don't remember seeing any signs in our travels about the number of washers being used but I would think just common courtesy would dictate that you not completely monopolize a laundry. Was this a really small laundry or is this woman doing this for extra money or something? Knowing me, I probably would have try to say something light like, " Gee, I am glad it is not my job to do all the laundry for the reunion."

One thing I did notice at most places we went was that most managers wanted to know if there were problems so they could be addressed.

Good luck! Pippe
Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Pippe, thanks! I like your comment! I may use it next time. I have always just gone by what my in-laws, who travel full-time, have said about it being rude to take up all the washers. There are 4 washers available here at this point. When the lady said, "These are all being used and I also have 1 more load," I said, "You took ALL the washers?" They were all for her. Go figure. If I were to have that much laundry, I would go to a public landry matt, where there would be enough to share, but that's just me.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This is just my opinion, but I agree with Pippe that it is common courtsey to leave at least one washer empty for anyone who would need it. I know the lady who is using all the machines at once probably wants to get her laundry done as fast as possible, but that is no excuse for not leaving at least one washer open for others who want their laundry done too. At the very least she could offer you the first washer available for your load and wait for the next machine to do her last load.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Nine Year Member

Debrora,
I just did a quick search on AOL and here are three pages you could check out.
One of them has a list of rules that they consider should be followed. Hope it helps you somewhat.

http://campingrving.suite101.com/article.cfm/boondocking_ediquette

http://www.escapees.com/edocs/094-parking%20etiquette.pdf

http://www.rv.net/forums/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/13728359.cfm

Vicky
Old 02-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Vic, thanks for the links. I have never read those first 2 before, but I have read that last one. None of them discuss whether or not it is acceptable to take over all the washing machines and dryers in an RV park. This week, I managed to go in early so that I could get my washing done, which on 2 washers before the lady that comes in and needs them all plus one. lol
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hmmm, I guess I never thought of it this way before. I have gone into an RV park laundry, and if all the machines are taken I just wait my turn. I don't think it's rude, it's just first come first served. it's that way in a public laundromat as well. I've never seen any rules about this anywhere either.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:12 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I have never seen any rules posted either. I am going on what my in-laws told me as they travel to RV parks all the time. They said it was bad manners to take all the machines since there are so few at RV parks anyway. I can't imagine someone bringing 12 loads of laundry and use 10 machines and save the 2 that will be available when she is done for her final 2 loads.

I have noticed since I moved to a nicer RV park, people don't do that. They use half or less. I don't know if they keep up with their laundry better or what. I don't have to time my laundry like I did before so that I can make sure a machine is available.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:04 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBora43
They said it was bad manners to take all the machines since there are so few at RV parks anyway. I can't imagine someone bringing 12 loads of laundry and use 10 machines and save the 2 that will be available when she is done for her final 2 loads.
I've traveled to quite a few myself and while it doesn't bother me when people use up all the machines, it WOULD bother me if they were "saving" the next ones for their next loads. THAT I believe is just rude, especially if someone comes in. I had someone do that to me at a local laundromat here (not an RV park) when all I wanted to do was one king sized comforter, so I needed a large machine. I'm not shy, so I simply asked her if I could have one of the machines she was saving since I only had one load. She was irritated, but she "allowed" it. I think when people are confronted they will (most of the time) back down. But there are SOME people out there that care only about themselves. You won't know unless you ask though.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I think the think that bothers me, besides saving machines is when 1 person brings in a ton of laundry, which is more than the amount of machine that are available, and spends the day in the laundryroom. I have noticed that since I moved to a nicer RV park, this doesn't happen. Most people bring a decent amount of laundry and everyone tries to share. I don't know if it's the type of people who come here versus or what.