Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

movers

I agree with harmonsmith about the movers! I just moved at the end of last year with north american moving company and a fantastic job was done from beginning to end. The crew was accommodating, polite and nice. Melissa a north american moving rep, came to our home was nice and explained everything to us very directly. I don't think I'll ever move again without help!
Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

One of things we did was pack our fine dishware and glasses in inexpensive cloth boxes w/cardboard inserts, then packed those in a packing boxes surrounded by out of season clothes. The cloth box we bought through Betty Crocker (some where between early 1990's and 2000), and have used it for several moves - never breaking any of the dishes (crystal & fine china) and glassware (both crystal and china). If you are not comfortable with the cloth box idea, and towels/wash rags as Tami suggested.
Also, when packing the in season clothes for moving, roll the clothes up before you put them in a suitcase(s). My DH is a Big & Tall man, so when we travel I roll our clothes to fit in one case - usually his dress shirts would get rolled in stacks of five (5), this also cuts down on the amount of wrinkles they endure.
Another option is the vac and seal bags which we used on our move from California to Washington in 2007, again with out of season clothes, comforters, etc. Because moving trucks charge by the amount of space your items take up, and whether or not it is a one customer load or multi-customer load (multi is less expensive if not moving abroad).

Best of Luck to any/every one moving!
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Contest Moderator
FamilyCorner Fanatic

As some of you may know, my folks just moved in with us in December. We worked on plans to make this as easy as possible for over a year. The move was huge, [for them]
west coast > east coast and they are handicapped, and in their 80's. What do we do with all of this "stuff"???

We started shipping boxes of things they really wanted, and clothes. (they kept their photos, movies, books and other personal items) The valuables, antiques etc., were distributed to family members. Then, we had an estate sale and sold EVERYTHING! They actually made money.

Bottom line - unless your house if filled with expensive antiques, save the moving expense and sell it all. You can buy it on the other end and usually less than the price to move it. It was for us anyway!!!

It's not for everyone...particular if you are very sentimental about your things. If not- make it easy. We still marvel at the ease of the whole experience.

Jodi
Old 03-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Nine Year Member

Great tips, I didn't think about about coloring coding......My stuff was marked with numbers, Kitchen (1), Living Room (2) etc. I marked each area in the house and posted a diagram for the movers on the entrance way outside the front door. I think I like the color coding better.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wonderful tips! We are still job looking and hoping to move this spring or summer. I found a 'junk' store a few hours away that buys households. As soon as we know where we are moving to, I am calling this store. We will only move items we love. I will use my fabric stash and my massage linins to pack breakables I am keeping. Love the idea of the boxes you will need first. Also include any meds your family or pets will need. That would be safer in a purse maybe?

We have a huge rummage sale that is taking donations next week. I will be cleaning out closests this weekend! As soon as it warms up the garage is next. Freecycle some of the big items.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We had all the kids involved with our move, and I wasn't at the storage making sure this happened, but wished I was.. so maybe this will help someone else

If you going to put things in storage make sure what you put in the back is things you do not need for awhile and it doesn't matter how long you do without it. LOL Then things you may want right away make sure it is up front..
if you can't be in some spot to give make sure the one that is understand how you want things to be done.

also pot holders that goes over the hand I use them to put glasses in to pack, gives it more protection.

When moving a computer make sure you know which cords goes to what, and move everythign together as much as you can as a unit.. for you never know what lies in front of you.

For when we moved my computer went into the shop to get fixed, what I didn't know was what would lie ahead of us. so when I did get the computer to much time lapse and I didn't know where things went and had to get my son to put everything back together. He even got confused but we did get it together finally.

make sure if you going to pack alot of heavy things in a box that is not a moving box to tape the bottom of the box to, this will enforce the bottom more where it won't rip.

Boot boxes comes in handy to pack paper documents together until you have time to go put things in order in your new house

Plasic file boxes use the drawers to pack things in if need to be..

Look for everything you can use to pack things in instead of carry a empty container to the new house..

more help you can have better it is,

get rest the night before you make a move, for you do need it.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Kids Stuff

I found that the last time we moved with the kids they thought that everything was being left behind. It was extremely helpful to let the kids pack all their favorite belongings like stuffed animals, dolls, etc. and label it themselves.

The kids realized what they packed is coming too!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My favorite moving tip is to give every box it's own number. Use a notebook to write each number down and what the box contains. As you unpack, cross off each number. This way, you'll know if a box is missing and exactly what's in each one.
Jamie.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:52 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

When we went to Baltimore DH< DS and I each had one small suitcase, and I took one bag for essentials. I packed shampoos, deodorants, etc in zipper bags first then put them in a laptop type case.
The girls things went into one case. It was so nice having all the essentials in one bag.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello,

what a thread, it is full of useful tips, thank you to all of you for sharing such wonderful tips, packing and moving has always been quite a headache for me, that is why i rely on professional packers and movers for that, but next time i`m trying to do it by my self.

Regards,
sarah_9