Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Good Luck on your moving trip.

Is your puppy crate trained? If not, I would make sure that he is comfortable with it beforehand. Add his blankets and chewy toys/rawhides, too.

I would plan on making lots of stops along the way for him to take pee breaks and to play for a bit. Make sure to have water for him, too. I wouldn't feed him a lot during the car ride.

Are you planning on staying somewhere overnight on your trip? Don't forget to make sure the place will allow pets.

Our Webmom, Amanda, has just made a big move with her German Shepard. I will pass this question along to her to see if she has any suggestions.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

moving with a dog

My puppy used to be crate trained. When he was about 8-9 mos old, we left him with friends for a week while we were on vacation, and they didnt use his crate. He likes just sleeping on his bed, which was fine with me. It might take awhile to get him used to the crate again.

I was thinking we would just take his bed along. He is very trained on that and stays there all night. I think it is his special place.

My mom thought we should check into traquilizers for him, but I have never used them. I have a lot of questions about how he would react, would he be hyper at night, have an upset tummy, that kind of thing. I plan to ask the vet at the next visit. Any one out there ever used them? How were the results??

We will stay one night with friends but after that, I have to find hotels that will take him. That might be tricky...

Old 08-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyraep
Love these ideas...we are planning a move from WA to KY within a few months. My biggest dilemma is what about my 15mos old puppy. He is a Golden Retriever cross (with a Bassett-looks like a short legged retriever). And ideas on how to make it easier on him. We will be traveling by car with him to our new house. Thanks for all those tips. I plan to use them!!
I travel quite a bit with my 2 dogs. I added a puppy, last October/November when my precious Jet-Bo passed y. I lived 3 1/2 hours away from home in an RV while I attended school. One chihuahua (both the deceased one and the puppy) LOVE to travel and the older, nephew of Poncho is terrified of traveling from a wreck in was in a long time ago.

One suggestion that I would make is to make frequent stops. I stop every 2-3 hours to give the dogs a poopy, pee pee break. If your dog is the type that will dart out into traffic, get a chock collar and a leash. I promise that he will not pull away and you can walk him around to potty safetly. Let him practice at home first with the collar. Another thing that I do it put at least 1 blanky per dog in the car that smells like home. That makes traveling easier.

My puppy, Bonte, LOVES to travel, but he used to get so carsick! The first Vet told me to give him Benedryl. That just gave him runny poop on top of the vomiting. I took him to our other Vet (living in another towns meaning 2 Vets). That Vet told me to give him Mexlizine (Low-dose Dramamine). He told me how many mg per pound for the dog. You can ask your Vet about that. If you have a puppy, be sure to ask about the ratio if you have a growing puppy.

Now, Bonte travels 2 1/2 hours without problems. But, he will be a year old on September 1st. Let me know if you have any questions. I will be glad to answer them.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrsmom

-- Add his blankets and chewy toys/rawhides, too.

-- lots of stops along the way for him to take pee breaks and to play

-- Make sure to have water for him, too. I wouldn't feed him a lot

-- make sure the place will allow pets.
Tami has excellent suggestions above. Just like humans, dogs need to get out and stretch their legs every now and then so be sure when you stop allow enough time to do just that. We always made sure that we combined walk time with gas station stops, that way we weren't making extra stops just to stretch our legs.

Dogs will usually sleep most of the drive, so they won't even realize how long they've been in the car.

As for feeding time, with my dog we just waited until we stopped for the night, but we made sure she had plenty of water along the way during gas stops. Your puppy is old enough to handle going without food until the end of the day during your trip.

Also, and this is pretty important, if your dog isn't used to riding in the car, get him acclamataed NOW, not right before you go. Often times dogs/puppies will get car sick their first two or three times in a car. If you plan to travel with him in the crate, then start doing some trips now the same way. Put the crate in the car, put the dog in, and drive for 20 minutes. Do this 2 or 3 times per week just to make sure he is totally comfortable with it. it helps tremendously if you dog is already crate trained. Many dogs that are crate trained look at their crate as their "den", their own personal space and comfort zone.

I wish you luck on your trip!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

moving with a dog

I love these tips--so many I hadnt thought of. I am getting him used to car rides. He is a weird dog that way--doesnt like to go. He has been sitting better and will finally lay down once we are going for awhile.

I planned on a lot of stops, because we also have 5 kids. That just equals potty stops! He does walk very nicely on a leash and knows most basic commands, so I am not too worried about him running into traffic at stops.

How about getting him used to a new place? Any ideas on that? My common sense tells me that we dont let him off leash for awhile, we walk him around the new yard so he knows his boundaries and keep his same bed and toys and stuff, so it smells like his. But if someone has been through this already, they may have some good ideas to get him used to his new place.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Shelly, I am in the process of moving again, since I start graduate school at the end of this month. I have the luxury of staying in the same RV as before, but different yard.

When I first got the RV, I made sure I had plenty of things that smelled like home for the boys. I have chihuahus, so they really love having their own blankys. But, if your dogs don't have their own sleeping beds or toys, grab a few dirty tees or something that smells like you and home. Lay them around the new place that they help make the new place smell like home. I also brought out special treats in the new home so they associated the new home with something positive. Since we don't have a fenced in yard yet, I have had to take my youngest out with the leash so he will know the boundaries. My older boy minds pretty well, so I just let him walk around the yard. If I had a fence, I would probably let them out, supervised, without the leash.

One other thing, Have you thought about bringing your bedding and other things to your place that aren't feshly washed so that they will also bring in the old home smell to the house? That would also buy you a few days to get the dog used to the smell of the new home.

I hope these tips help in some way. Good luck on the move.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Good idea about the bedding, DeBora...I would have killed myself to get it all washed and fresh. It will smell more like us if it isnt freshly washed.

I will plan on the shirt thing too and treats are always appreciated! He actually knows where the treats are kept, I bet it wont take long for him to learn that in a new place!

Thanks-shelly
Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyraep
Good idea about the bedding, DeBora...I would have killed myself to get it all washed and fresh. It will smell more like us if it isnt freshly washed.

I will plan on the shirt thing too and treats are always appreciated! He actually knows where the treats are kept, I bet it wont take long for him to learn that in a new place!

Thanks-shelly
That is funny you say that. I was going to suggest you put the treats in a special place. Mine took no time in learning where the treats and food were kept. lol
Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 PM

Although it has been 20 some years since we moved I have a suggestion. Set up the bedrooms and bath roomns first. Taht way if you are too exhausted to do much unpacking, you still have the beds ready and the bath room ready for any one who needs to use it.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great Ideas. I have moved many times( nine times) and I know what kind of difficulties can come during move. The decision of moving to another place is however exciting, but packing up is something most of the people fear.It is better to hire professional movers if you want hazel free move and can afford it.
here are some useful tips.

The first thing is to obviously make a game plan

1)First you need Make sure that you create a complete inventory of all your belongings that you will be moving to your new address
2)Make sure you have enough help and trucks/vans to load up your boxes
3)Before you start packing up your house, decide what you really need to bring into your new home. Many things lose their value or use over the years, but you still hang on to them
4)Do not wait until the last minute for packing. Start from that room which you do not use most
3)You will need to have the following materials in order to start packing.
Strong boxes, Wardrobe boxes, Bubble Wrap, newspaper, Markers etc

you can find some good packing tips on {Edited by ajrsmom to remove advertisement}