Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Where is the farthest you have travelled from home?

The farthest I have been from California is upstate New York!!!

hugs,train
Old 02-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Nine Year Member

I had moved to New Jersey after my DS was born from Bronx, N.Y.
Was like living in another part of the world. Took awhile but I quickly learned how to drive and get around.

Many years later found a book at the library about living in Florida that someone had donated at the book fair. That did it. Followed all the instructions about writing letters and ordering newspapers from the different towns. Was not long got all the information I needed. Came down and stayed for three days as a guest in my development. Bought a lot before I left and had the house plans picked too. Within a few months I had sold my house and was living in my new home. My Dh was nervous but he adjusted quickly.

Never forget my Mom saying she would come down herself to open up the house I would be renting, while the new house was being built. Even at almost eighty she had plenty of spunk without even knowing how to drive.

Now she joins me every winter in Florida.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The Panama Canal, God what a wonderful experience. cau

Old 02-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Well went from Birmingham, Alabama to Tokyo, Japan as a young girl LOVED it. Then as a young wife went from Ft Campbell, KY to Illesheim Kasern (post) in Germany and lived in Bad Windsheim loved it there too, then we got orders for Sandhofen Barracks in Manheim so moved to there again loved it. Wish I could go back and visit both countries but doubt if I will be able to
Old 02-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

1980-When I lived in San Diego I went to Hawaii and Okinawa, Japan.
1993- I went to Israel and Paris, France.

I loved Israel and Hawaii-I have no desire to go back to Japan.
I am planning another trip to Hawaii next year.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Okinawa is not quite the same as the Main Japan. Still would love to go back there and Germany for a visit.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I did spend a little time in Osaka, Japan as well. I think I did not like it because I was traveling with a three-month old colicky baby.
I probably would not have liked anywhere on that trip with a baby.-hehehe
Old 02-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I totally agree with you I would not have liked it either under those conditions. Maybe some how you will get to revisit minus collicky baby.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:34 PM

The farthest i've ever gone from home was from Pa to Pensacola Florida.
Friends were traveling there and asked if we wanted to hitch a ride along. I called my sister and told her to be looking for us in 2 days. It was exciting because our friends drove. When we arrived my mom was so shocked, she had gone down to see my sisters new baby and wasn't expecting us. We didn't tell her we were coming. We stayed 3 nights with them. The ride home was terrible but interesting. We went up thru Atlanta Ga. It was night, the buildings had the roof lights on, some of them were shaped like giant peaches. If you've never seen them, it is something. By the time we got home the next day I was so sore and exhausted. I'm not a sleeper so I had very little sleep on the way home, and of course, sitting so long didn't help. I'd do it again if it meant getting to visit my sister and her family.

Coll
Old 02-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

The furthest I've ever been from Long Island, NY was to England and Italy (but not on the same trip).

When I was in Italy, I saw the house where my mom was born and met some of her relatives still there. This was back in 1985 and my mom was born in 1919 and came to the US in 1926.

LI Roe