Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 03-26-2002, 04:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I am very glad that this information was available. I am venturing off to WDW in April with the kids (ages 8 and 4) and my best friend. My husband just started a new job so he can't go . I am weary about the flight and controling my kids. Anyone have suggestions? My son who is 4 has never been on a plane/ My daughter was back when she was 2. I just fear that they will act up on the plane. This will be for all of us...our first time at WDW. I also have never been to Florida. I appreciate all the posts for suggestions to making it frugal as possible. If anyone has any additional info...please reply

Thank you,

Laura
Old 03-26-2002, 10:09 AM

Laura, they'll be fine on the plane. There's so many people to watch; they'll probably spend most of their time doing that. Have them check out the bathroom, too.

If you're having an in-flight meal, ask your travel agent to request kid's meals for them. The last time we flew, the meal choices were teriyaki chicken and some type of Asian noodles. At the time, they would have not been happy with either choice. But they loved the kid's meals. (This is similar to requesting a vegetarian meal or a meal for a diabetic.)

Bring along some new activity books, and don't let them have them until you're on the plane. Have you seen the black activity books that are meant to be used with gel pens? Very cool! Bring along a deck of cards, too. Don't bring along any toys with lots of small parts.

Pack some snacks on your bag--bananas, Goldfish crackers, etc., just in case the plane is delayed.

Relax and enjoy!
Old 04-01-2002, 11:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

flying with kids

Our girls, 4 and 5 at the time, did fine at Thanksgiving, and we had one stop on the way. The youngest had a hard time with her ears and on the last flight (wouldn't you know it???) someone suggested to me to give them sudafed before flying next time. Gum helped, and eating a snack helped when they wouldn't chew the gum, but the sudafed sounds like it would work better. It would open up all of the sinuses and ear/nose/throat tubes. I did bring tylenol, but it didn't work too well. Having things to color was helpful, and my girls liked listening to their own headphones. They thought they were cool! Are they serving meals on board again? We were only given snacks after the 9/11 attacks, so plan for that. We left Portland at 4pm--figuring we would eat in Denver--but all the restaurants were closed at 8pm when we got there. (and isn't that one of the biggest airports???) So we had to go without dinner, only having snacks, until 1am when we got to Dallas. We were starved, even after having a few snacks. Kids aren't as ready to wait that long for food, so check out mealtimes ahead of time! Good Luck! Amy
Old 04-03-2002, 07:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Have the kids pack their own little suitcases or backpacks. They can put in their coloring book or writing tablet. Have them take coloring pencils insead of crayons. Less messy and don't break as easly. A story book and a favorite doll or toy is helpful. Are you flying in the daytime? If so try to get a window seat so they can look out and see all the sites. My favorite activity. But all in all I think they will do fine. And so will you!
Enjoy your flight and let us know how it went.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:39 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Flying with kids

I have flown alone with my kids, now age 4 and 3, several times. We just got back yesterday from our longest flight yet...to California, an 8 hour trip, not counting the 3 1/2 hours to get to the airport. They did great! Your kids will do great too if you keep them entertained with stickers...I bought lots and put them in their own ziplock bags with a little spiral notebook that they picked out and they spent lots of time sticking the various stickers in the notebooks. I also took along washable markers and drawing pads for each, a few books to read/look at, lots of snacks, coloring books. I also suggested they make a picture with drawings and stickers for each of the pilots and flight attendants..this kept them busy for some time. My older one made pictures for some of the friends she missed and you may even get them to make pictures for the Disney characters they will meet at WDW.
Old 04-07-2002, 02:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I want to thank you all for the replies. I am still worried/concerned/ and scared but I am a mom and thats what moms do. Your ideas have inspired me and have put some relief to me. Basically I need to make sure that I am prepared. Thank you so much and I will write back when we come back and let you all know how they did as well as I. Florida, here we come!!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 06:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WDW

Hi Mommaof2 and All:

So glad you posted this thread. --wondering how your trip went. We are planning a trip THIS April (2003) at Easter time. Wondering if it's going to be terrribly busy/miserable. Found all the suggestions for flying with young children very helpful--as this will be the first time for my 2 boys--ages 8 and 4.

Would appreciate any replies---

Thanks--

Rivermom