Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 05-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Be a Tourist in Your Own Town

The next time you're itching to bust out of the city limits, grab a few friends and venture beyond your tried-and-true local haunts; there's nothing like exploring a place anew to reinvigorate you and your enthusiasm for your very own neck of the woods. Here are a few ways to tackle your town like a tourist.

* Eat your way around town. Choose a near-to-your-heart culinary genre (such as soul food or kosher deli fare), and look up in the phone book or on the Web some local restaurants that specialize in that particular cuisine.

* Get sporty. Is your town known as a great place to fish, ski, run, or boat, or does it have great batting cages, indoor rock-climbing walls, or yoga studios? Select one that's new to you in a place you've never been.

* Hit rummage and yard sales. There are few better ways to explore new neighborhoods, and there are even fewer better excuses to meet new people. Look for fliers, or check your local newspaper for locations.

* Travel in time. Track down local properties on the National Register of Historic Places and learn a little about your town's living history.

* Check with the parks and recreation department for their guide to monthly events and the seasonal book of community-education seminars. Canoe trips, architectural tours, story swaps-you'll be amazed at the many activities that are going on and by the variety of folks who attend.

* Head to your local visitors center for pamphlets and free city guides that highlight attractions and events that are sure to include some uncharted territory (museums and ethnic festivals, for instance). Look for coupons here, too.

Ideas from Get Togethers and Celebrations

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great tips! Thanks
Old 07-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Youre Welcome!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love going to the tourist attractions in your home town. You know, those places you always take visitors to when they come to visit? Do you ever visit those places with just your family? It can be a lot of fun, especially when you viist at non-peak tourist times!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

There is one place here that I would LOVE to go to. It is a nice restaraunt called the Double Eagle in La Mesilla, which is reported to be haunted. There is a cool ghost story that goes with it. However, the prices of the food is out of this world. If I had the money, I would go, just for the fun of it. Every semester I hear about something new about the stuff in this town.

I am fortunate that I live very close to White Sands. I would like to go before it gets cool as well as the Space Center in Alamagordo, which has an IMAX theater. There is so much to discover in my town.

Definately good tips Tami!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We've been doing the suggestions on this list for years. Now they've made it a trendy thing to do by calling it a "staycation". (I don't know about you but I am SO tired of hearing that word around here).

Not only do we like to find new things to do for fun around our area but the real challenge is finding tours ...etc. to do for free or very little charge.

If you're not doing this already, I bet you'd be surprised at what there is to do around you that you haven't seen yet.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Once again I'm searching for free or low cost day trips for us.

I stopped into our area tourist information center to pick up some brochures for the state. The people working in the center were very helpful --another tip--ask them questions! They know the secrets to the area.

One of the ladies told me the a science museum in our area had free admission on the second Tuesday of every month and the 4th Friday of the month. Fridays work for us so we'll definitely check this out!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I live in Logan WV and here the hatfield-McCoy trails r everywhere. Only place that I have ever been 2 that allows people 2 ride ATV's and dirtbikes down the middle of town...
Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

With school holiday vacations coming up very soon, I thought that this thread might hold some ideas to keep the kids busy!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I find it just as rewarding to be a tourist in my own state even when it's not summer... better rates during the slower time of year (even at the Dells, WI) when there's not a lot of children /tourists in one spot. The other reason I do the tourist thing during off seasons is the color transformations (trees in VI, GA, WA, OR, IL, WI, etc), also some parks will have before peek season perks for visitors. I also noticed this is common with some non-park places as well...
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins