Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Travel & Vacations Family travel and vacation ideas, fun activities, movie night, game nights, plenty of ideas for fun and relaxation.

Old 03-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Camping Breakfasts

About the Author
Visit The Treehouse for more kid pleasing recipes and summer activities or subscribe to the weekly Treehouse Recipe Notes.
Reprinted from the FamilyCorner.com "Comforts of Home" Newsletter

One of my favorite childhood memories is of my Dad cooking breakfast while we were camping. He would whip up scrambled eggs, fry bacon and "toast" bread over the fire or the camp stove. It always seemed to taste better than at home! Now that I am a Mom, I have developed my own recipes and tricks for camping breakfasts thanks to my Dad's inspiration!

Breakfast Tips and Suggestions

I indulge my children once a year and buy the little boxes of cereal that come with a variety of choices. Yes, it's more expensive, but they think it's extra special to have their own box. Often they wake up while we are camping and are "starving to death", so I let them pick a box of cereal and fix their bowls while I clean up the tent, gather up clothes for the day and then start fixing a hot breakfast.

I have a supply of old bowls, eating and cooking utensils, and cast iron pans. I splurge and purchase paper plates and plastic cups, plus napkins and paper towels. We do have a camping stove, but we cook over the fire as well. I recommend using a cooler for the perishable food, of course, but also heavy duty, covered plastic tubs to store the cooking supplies and non-perishable food. Be sure to bring along a small plastic dish tub, old towels, dishrags, scrubbers (for the pans) and dish soap. I've found that loose items, paper or even plastic sacks just end up making a mess.

The recipes below are fun and easy. I also like using left over ham, or deli ham, chopped and cooked with scrambled eggs. For easy breakfasts or snacks, bring along bananas, oranges, toaster pastries (you can warm in a pan or on the fire very briefly) and yogurt. We usually have a big breakfast, a light lunch as the kids get hungry later, and a hearty supper with time for marshmallows and S'mores afterwards.

Campfire Eggs

(Save the remainder of the bacon for the next day's breakfast with the recipe below)

8 slices bacon
1 1/2 cups frozen hash browns
sweet onion
salt
pepper
6 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar or Colby cheese

Cook bacon in heavy skillet until crisp. Remove and crumble bacon. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat. Slice as much onion as your family likes VERY thin, and add to the pan with the potatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return to heat, or fire, and fry until potatoes are lightly browned. Beat together eggs, milk, 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper. Pour over browned potatoes in skillet. Cook without stirring until mixture begins to set.Using a spatula lift and fold partially cooked eggs so uncooked egg flows underneath. Continue cooking for about 4 minutes until cooked but not dry. Arrange crumbled bacon on top, sprinkle with cheese.

Breakfast Tortilla Wraps

1 tablespoon margarine
Eggs
milk
Cheddar Cheese or American Cheese
Bacon
Large Flour Tortillas

Beat your eggs together with a small amount of milk. I use 1 egg per person and 1 extra. Melt margarine in pan or spray with cooking spray, and add eggs. In another pan fry your bacon in strips and drain. After the eggs are cooked, add a spoonful or two to each tortillas, some cheese and a strip or two of bacon. (Each person can make their own). Roll up the tortillas and eat!

Sausage on a Stick

1 12 ounce package fully cooked smoked sausage links
1 package refrigerated breadsticks

Spear sausage on stick or hotdog fork. Coil one breadstick dough around each sausage link, pinching ends. Rotate slowly until bread is browned.

Pineapple or Apple Pancakes

8 slices canned pineapple
2 large apples
complete pancake mix (using water)
syrup

Mix up your batch of pancake mix according to the directions (I make mine on the thin side) and prepare as usual. Place one slice pineapple slice on pan or griddle. OR slice and peel an apple and place a few thin slices on the griddle. Pour 1/4 cup batter over slice. Cook on the first side until it starts to bubble on top, then flip and brown the other side. Serve with syrup. NOTE: You can also sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the apples if you wish.

What's Related: Backyard Camp | Create a Picnic Kit | Bird Watching Tips

Recommended Reading: As an outdoor trainer, I find this (and other Dian Thomas books) invaluable parts of my personal training library. She offers many simple yet intriguing ideas for outdoor cooking fun, suitable for novices or experienced cooks who want to add flair to their outdoor cooking experiences. My particular favorites are the wheelbarrow grills (great when the local ordinances will not allow us to build a fire on the ground) and the turkey cooked hung from a tripod (We fed 15 people with a "bird" done this way. It took a lot of work to set it up, but we were paid off in oohs & ahs for our inventiveness!) (courtesy: Amazon)

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Last edited by ajrsmom; 06-21-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I know that it is done...and this may sound silly BUT
How do I make toast over the camp fire? Also my coffee doesn't turn out the best. Any tips?

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 03-23-2004, 10:28 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I think for toast, you would need to use one of those food basket grills. The kind where you place the food inside, clamp it together and then hold it over the fire.

As for the coffee, are you boiling the water first and pouring the boiling water through the coffee filter? Or are you using a perkalator?
Old 03-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Assistant Moderator

one of the things I did always for coffee was to take those little coffee bags with me then I just boil the water. and it works or I would take instant coffee and just use the hot water, this way it seems it can't go wrong. LOL

would agree with Amanda about the grill for the toast.

I have seen some use a stick and toast the bread

have you ever fix eggs in oranges?
or use the hobo stoves?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi again...

For the coffee I tried the baggies and I didn't think it was strong enough. I tried the camp perculator with not much luck either. Maybe I should stick to cocoa??

Thanks for the basket and stick idea! Never made eggs in oranges. Sounds neat! In scouts ( I was a leader 5 or so years ago) we used the coffee and tuna can stoves

Thanks for the tips!

Old 03-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Can't help you on the coffee issue ( don't drink the stuff) but as for the toast we always make toast on the grill. We just butter the bread and lay it on the grill til its brown then flip it over and brown the other side.

I tried making pancakes in ziploc bags...it was very messy. I splurge when we camp and buy the biquick mix in the little jugs...you just add water shake and pour. Costs me a little more but its soooo Easy Easy Easy.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

sounds like a great idea.....

I make scrambled eggs in baggies. That works out really nice. you just put eggs, onions, peppers, salt and what ever else you might want.
Boil water and drop the ziplock bag with the egg mix in to it! Easy cook and clean up!

I still never really perfected the coffee thing, LOL but hey its a coming!

I like the pancake jug idea..thanks!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

eggs..............bacon..................toast.... ............hot chocolate........it ALL tastes better outdoors!!!!!!

Another thing I like to do is make a big citrus salad (orange and grapefruit segments with all the yuccy membranes torn off) and put into a glass jar with a little OJ. Put it is the cooler and it tastes so good with breakfast.

Tami, my parents used to buy us those small boxes of cereal too when we went camping. We didnt get them at home either so they were a treat...........'cept for that mom would put them in a bag and we had to put our hand in and pick and pray we got sugar puffs and not Product 19!!!!!!!!!!

hugs, train
Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

camping breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Angel View Post
sounds like a great idea.....

I make scrambled eggs in baggies. That works out really nice. you just put eggs, onions, peppers, salt and what ever else you might want.
Boil water and drop the ziplock bag with the egg mix in to it! Easy cook and clean up! !
What!? I have never even heard of "cooking" eggs in bag placed in boiling water!? I will definitely have to try this the next time I go camping. If successful, I am sure the Hubby will love it!
Old 08-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was going to say the little boxes of cereal for the kids. It's just so easy and I don't have to clean them all off of grease from the bacon.