Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 12-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
chuckle Christmas Curbside Shopping, LOL!

Youll never believe what we found in a neighbors trash this morning.....

My DH was taking our trash out to the alley and saw that a neighbor about 3 houses from ours had thrown out a 3 ft Christmas tree complete with white lights. Not only that but also a wall-hanging tree (flat on one side) about 1 1/2 ft high with colored lights and a beautiful country red, wooden sleigh that will make a perfect container for dinner rolls for our Christmas dinner. Both tree are in excellent condition. I decorated the big one and it will sit in our computer room now. I havent decided on a place for the wall tree yet but I will find somewhere to put it.

They also threw away a 3 tiered shelf --it is a homemade stand and really weird shaped but it will hold my GF grill, the food prcessor, mixer and stuff like that to get them out of my cupboard!!

Two weeks ago another neighbor threw away 2 plastic terra cotta-looking flower pots, a really cute ceramic log shaped flower pot , 2 regular ceramic fower pots and a Christmas mug. My mother just gave me a huge plant that needs to be re-potted so now all I have to do is remember to buy some soil. They probably wont make it because my brown thumb tends to take over but Im going to try!!!

Not too bad for just taking out the trash, LOL!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-22-2003, 06:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am always amazed at what people throw away!!!! good for you for saving the landfills of useable stuff!!!!
Old 12-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yeah, We felt pretty good about saving them. You should see how pretty the bigger tree looks now that I have decorated it.

We went back and rescued a chair that they had thrown out too. At first I thought that it needed too much work but my hubby said that he could fix it with just a little work so I have a new chair too. I have no clue to what Im going to do with it though, lol!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

More GREAT finds!!!

Ill keep this topic going!!

Ive got some great finds to report. We have been needing a extra chest of drawers for as long as my DD has been alive ( almost 8 months) and Ive put off buying one,hoping to find one. Well, Im so happy to say that tonight my DH found one in perfect condition out in someones garbage! No kidding, it is an older style--probably from the 70s but it is real wood and the drawers are dove-tailed. It has one small drawer at the top, one huge drawer then 2 smaller drawers below!!

We also found a wooden nightstand that has a door broken off of it. Dh is going back in the morning to see if he can find the door because it can easily be repaired. If not, I will take off the other door and just use the bottom as an open shelf. It has no scratches or anything,just missing the door.

To go along with this stuff we got a Christmas tree stand, 2 yard decoration candy canes & a wooden tree decoration that is a girl swinging on a swing.

I will probably cruise around again in the morning before I go to the bank if I beat the garbage men, LOL!!

Not too bad, HUH???

Doesnt anyone else do this??? After you get used to it, it becomes a lot of fun to see what you can find.

---

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-04-2004, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh. my, trash pickers!!!! My favorite kind of people, lol. Dearly Beloved and I have been quite lucky the past few months, and have found some really nice treasures.

The first thing we found, about two months ago, was a small steamer-type trunk, black leather and brass...probably both fake, but still pretty...and in excellent condition. The only thing wrong was that the lock is broken, which we don't care about. It still latches closed, so that's good.

This past week, someone left two small bedside tables by the dumpster, both in reasonably good condition, dark wood looking...probably veneer. One is a three-drawer, and the other one is a two-drawer. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be able to use the three-drawer one, and hope to find room for the two-drawer.

The piece de resistance was yesterday, tho: we salvaged a huge piece of plywood...roughly 6'X4'...and Dearly is going to cut in half the long way for me, to be used as a craft worktable later on. I'll set it on top of milk crates...this will be a totally *trashy* work area, lol, but as long as it gives me a space to play, I will be very contented with it.

Question: has anyone ever spray painted milk crates? Can it be done, or is it more trouble than it's worth? Thanks in admance.

Happy trashing, y'all!!!

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 01-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Great ideas gang!
It sounds so funny, but I know the great finds in the trash. Where we live they have a bulk trash day annually. You should see the amount of folks who get stuff from the trash.
Just goes to prove, one person's trash....is another ones treasure !

Hugs and Blessings,
Cathy

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 01-13-2004, 03:33 PM
BoggsZ

jb829, Thay have a spray paint out now that is for plastic it would be great for milkcreats you can find it at walmart hope this helps.

I wish i could find some of this great stuff in the trash we live in the boonies and noone has any good trash lol
Old 01-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

wow you guys have great trash days!!!!

We live out of town too...but even in town I never saw anything as great as what you are finding!!!
Plus my dh would be mortified if (he was with me) and I took stuff out of someones trash!! LOL ... Not that it is used but just if someone saw us!!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

BoggsZ, that sounds like just what I need. Thank you for telling me about it. I will also check out K-Mart, as they are much closer to me.

My Dearly Beloved came home yesterday with some more trash, lol. He found a dark wooden frame, in good condition, and used it to frame one of our wolf pictures...also from somebody else's trash. He also found an old ugly clock, and took the works out to use on a clock that he had made from old computer discs. Now the clock works, and is truly a beautiful piece...not to mention it's probably one of a kind.

The two chests-of-drawers I mentioned earlier are now sitting in the living room, with the smaller one stacked on top of the bigger one, so it looks like one large piece. Looks pretty good, too.

The plywood is still out on the carport, tho, waiting for Dearly to saw it in half...this could take some time, lol.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 01-15-2004, 01:01 PM
BoggsZ

jb829, Thay do have it at kmart. Glad i could help