Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
What to do with all of these jars ????

We go through numerous jars every month. I feel like Im throwing a "gem" away went I toss them into the recycle bin. Ive made country jars filled with buttons --for my shelf, Ive used some to hold hot choc. mix that we gave as gifts, I want to paint a few of them and put votive holders in the top.

Any other ideas ???? Is this just a frugal guilt trip Im going through ?
Old 02-17-2002, 06:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

canning jars use

I store my dried beans in glass jars, popcorn, macroni,and rice.

I do not save mayonnaise jars as they are too thin for canning. Recycle them.
Jennie Bell
Old 02-19-2002, 08:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I make really pretty candle holders out of my jars. Here are the directions:
Floral Antiqued Candle Holders
1. Save spagetti jars (like Five Brothers) or mason jars
2. Buy the Perm Enamel paint (specifically for painting on glass) or spray paint, Paint Enamel Prep (or just rubbing alcohol) and Anita's Antiqueing Kit (I get the kit for $5.95 at Walmart, it was more expensive at Michael's and I had to buy everything separately!) Modge Podge (or something similar) the fabric you want and very light fusible interfacing. I recommend using actual brushes for this technique as opposed to the sponges (they leave little sponge bits on the project).
3. Wash and prep. the jars
4. Paint it with several coats of Perm Enamel base paint or spray paint severl times.
5. Paint the terra cotta pot and glue it to the jar with epoxy.
6. Iron the interfacing onto your fabric and cut out the design you wanted (depending on your project, this can be one of the most frustrating parts! I cut out 50 little floral designs in gold and cream to go on my Christmas tree ornaments. Ittpst lost my mind by the end of that project!)
7. Decopage the fabric onto your jar. Make sure it is soaked on both sides so it sticks well.
8. When it is dry, paint on step one of the Antiqueing (the jar has a 1 on it). I recommend that you don't use this sparingly because it won't crackle as well if it is too thin.
9. When it is dry paint on (again, liberally) step 2. You should begin to barely see cracks as it drys.
10. You get two colors of antiqueing glaze, dark brown and cream. I found that the dark antiquing was often too dark, so I mixed some of the white in with it to soften the look. You can play with it and decide what you like best. When you get the color you want (I like it to be a nice taupe color), spread the antiqueing over the whole project so it settles into the cracks and then wipe it off. If it is just too dark, you can go over it lightly with a damp cloth and it will take some of the color off as well. I usually do this with my lampshades so they aren't unbearably dark.
10. You can then seal the project if you want.
11. Add a pretty ribbon, some leaves if you want around the neck of the jar and put a votive candle inside the pot.

I use this technique on TONS of things!!
Old 02-19-2002, 09:12 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh Tamera that sounds so pretty! I would love to see a picture if you have any!

I craft with my jars too. I am also a fan of decoupage I made this one for Valentine's Day:

Valentine Candle Jar
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/cgi-b...mp.cgi?ID=7964
Old 02-19-2002, 10:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Oh Tamera these are so nice ! Ive seen these around at craft fairs but they are so $$$

Can I ask, what other crafts are you into making ? We just bought our home this past year and now we are right in the middle of painting and decorating most of it. My house definitely has the "country" feel to it.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that project with such detail. Im going to make one of those for the shelf in my kitchen and possibly bathroom ( when we finally attemp to redo it )

Can you burn the candles in those holders or are they just decorative ? Im a candle freak !! I love Yankee Candles---can I say that here or is that advertising ? ( sorry if it is)

Amanda, the jar that you made is so cute too !! It would really fit into my decor.

Dollmama2000, Thanks for those tips too !! I do use the jars to hold rice.....we rarely have that little amt. of macaroni left over. I just went through the cupboards not too long ago and filled up the recycle container with a lot of jars that I have been stashing......didnt I see a"stocking" post somewhere, LOL !!

Any Easter ideas for them other than filling them with mixes or candy ?
Old 02-19-2002, 10:39 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, I do burn candles in my decoupaged jars. I will send pictures tomorrow, along with the many other things I decoupage.

I also decoupage my Yankee Candle jars when they are empty and yse them in the bathroom for holding Q-tips, cotton balls and such.

I tried to attach a jpeg picture of this next craft that I put in my bathroom to match all the decoupaged Jars, but it said it was too big. If you want to, I can try and email it to you personally. It is so adorable that you just hve to see it! Anyway, here are the directions:

This is a wall hanging I made with an old window.
Here are the directions:

Supplies:
1 old window I got mine at a grage sale for $3)
1 old board (about a 1"x 6"x the size of your window)
1 yard of fabric to match your decor
1 floral swag to match decor and fabric
Paint
Staple Gun
Glue Gun
Picture Hanging Kit (the kind with wire and screws with eye holes for heavy pictures)

Directions:
Clean up the beat-up old window. Screw the 1x6 onto the bottom side of the window. Paint the window and the shelf. When it is dry, do one last clean up, getting all of the excess paint off. Stretch the fabric across the back of the window and staple it into place. Attach the picture hanging kit to the back. Attach swag to the top front with glue gun, or nails, or staple gun. Viola!

I love mine!!
Old 02-19-2002, 10:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Window Craft Picture

Okay, I'll try again-- Here is the picture for the window craft (to put your decorated jars on!)
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2002, 12:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Fabric Decoupage Jars

These are the Yankee Candle Jars that I put in the bathroom (with the window) and a cheap soap dispenser I painted form Walmart .79!
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2002, 12:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Other Fabric Decoupage ideas

This shows a lamp, tea tray, candle jars and clock done with this technique.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2002, 10:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

WOW!

The items you have done are BEAUTIFULl!! If you are not featuring these types of items at craft shows to sell, you need to rethink this. They are really outstanding!!

Sandie