Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-21-2002, 09:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

According to Amy Dacyczyn of the Tightwad Gazette, mayonnaise jars are perfectly acceptable for canning. I'm pretty sure she's said she's used them in a pressure canner and never had one break.

That's not to say it couldn't happen, however.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Really off topic, but......

I am chuckling so hard and smiling so wide at your signature line, that my face is gonna break.

I hope you don't mind if I use it sometime.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

LOL Sandy. I love that quote, I think it's one of the funniest quotes in TV history.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We canned at home and Never use mayonase jars in the pressure cooker. We did use then for tomatoes though which was just a water bath canning process.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A friend of mine had all of her herbs and spices of open shelves in jars all the same size with the contents written on top of the lids so you couldn't see them without looking. It looked so organized! Not like my cupboards where something might fall out. I only can things that only need 5 lbs. of pressure (low acid tomatoes or fruit) in mayonaise jars. They break more often than regular canning jars and that is too much effort to throw away. I don't water bath anything any more after losing 30 quarts of low acid tomatoes - they sealed but didn't stay sealed.
Georgia
Old 02-26-2002, 09:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Wow Tamera, You have quite a talent !! I LOVE those jars !! Definitely an idea for my bedroom and for gifts !!! Did you use material with the backing on those too ? What is the backing for ? Is it to make it a little stiffer ?

Do you think this would work on pull-down shades too ? Im probably going too far with it , huh ?

Love the lampshade too !! Bet you could make a fortune selling this stuff !!

Thanks for all of the details on how to do it, Im going to print it out and go buy the needed materials. Im thinking of Mothers Day gifts with these !!
Old 02-26-2002, 09:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I put the interfacing on the back of the decorator fabrics. The pictures with the lampshade, clock, jars and tea tray are made with a rather expensive ....upholstery-like fabric. When you go to cut out the part of the pattern you want to use, the edges start to fray and little bits come off everywhere.
It REALLY gets messy when you start to decoupage. The interfacing just helps to keep the fraying to a minimum, and does give the lighter fabrics a little body that helps when cutting.

I wish you could make a lot of money with them, but by the time you buy all the supplies and put in the time, no one wants to pay what they are worth. So I just do them for myself and the family.

You could probably use this technique on a pull down shade. I don't have any, but as you can see, I use it on just about everything!
Old 04-06-2003, 04:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Last summer I was gifted with surplus grapes and apples! They were delicious, but the question, "How do I save them?" I had heard from one of my friends I could recycle the jars with the rubber liners in the lids. Hot water bath method I think they called it. It was my first effort, but it worked! The only problem was I made grape jelly and applesauce. It probably wasn't worth the effort because the family ate it up in no time. Encouraging, but frustrating too. I was all set for homemade treats at Christmas. This year I'll try for a larger batch! You might want to check with your Ag-extention office for info or search the web for the exacts!

I paint them too. I find it relaxing and it's a nice gift when I'm in a pinch!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Would like to put in my 2 cents on this subject,

My brother has huge gardens, and does a tremendous amt of canning, I save jars that have resealable lids ( like the gallon size pickles come in @ WalMart, but do save the qt ones for him to) I am not sure what his procedure is with canning, but he has very good luck with resealing the jars.

Joy