Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-03-2002, 04:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi. It was spring cleanup in our town this week and I was up for some major hunting! However Sunday, the day everyone was to put there stuff out, we ahd major thunderstorms, lightning, trees down, ect. si I couldn't go. By the time it cleared up, my husband was gone ( I don't drive) and it was getting dark when he got back, I was so dissapointed. I thought I'd be able to post with some awesome fdinds. On the way to the grocery store, the next day, a few blocks ahead of the garbage truck, My husband spotted something he wanted, He makes me go out and get it! A lawn roller, that was missing a handle and a little rusty. I found at the same place, a small metal wash tub. I thought it was fine except for a dented bottom, but it has a seam rip, but I will still use it for a planter outside or something. My DH has already painted and found a handle for the roller, and he is pleased. So I guesse all was not lost, but it wasn't near what I had hoped for. Oh well, I'm going to a church rummage sale this morning, maybe I'll be lucky there.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

City-wide garage sale

We had more than 150 garage sales in town last Saturday ~ along with the heaviest downpour of rain in years all morning! This was one of those soaking rains that even an umbrella won't help!!

Anyway, I braved the rains and cold and ventured out of the car to a few of them, finding the following:
1. lots of wicker and woven baskets for reasonable prices (for gift baskets)
2. great buys at the local farmer's market (opening day). Good buys on flats of marigolds, tomato plants. Also found one of the varieties of bushes I had on my landscaping list, and was delighted to find it was actually two smaller specimens planted in the same bucket. Good find, and great price there!

I haven't been to garage sales in years although I think I need to get a little more focused on them.

Sandie
Old 05-19-2002, 08:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pinkie Winky are you mad about magazines?

Hi everyone!

Just found out about a great way to save some $$$!!! If you are like me, who cant resist buying magazines - thats by far my most unfrugal expense - you should check this one out: go to www.allyoucanread.com . There you can read most magazines from all around the world, and even create a list by registering, wich will lead you to your favorites directly each time you log in.It's GREEEAT!

Go on and take a peak!

Fatima
Old 05-19-2002, 11:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

fatima bento.....I checked out this website but I did not see any way to read the magazines. My understanding was it is a list of your favorites and they want you to subscribe to the magazine you place on your list.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
My frugal find tonight came from a neighborhood not too far from us that is having a yearly " big item" garbage pickup day. Its a solid wooden chair. It needs a lot of tlc but I thought it would fit the desk that I got earlier this year for my son. Well, brought it home and realized that it is too big for the desk so Im going to clean it up, maybe add a little paint--it has peeling white paint on it that looks pretty cool--and cut a hole in the seat for a planter ! It will go out on my front stoop if we ever have warm weather again.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

hi kimmyo

I'm sorry you could'nt get to read the magazines... did you made your own list? Here's what I did: I made my own list, and when I enter, I log in. Then, I click on the picture of the magazine cover, and there I am!

Among my favorites are family money, family fun, womans day, shape...
Try it again, and let me know... ok?

{{{hugs}}}

Fatima
Old 05-20-2002, 03:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Fatima,
I also tried that site. I could go to each individual site for whoever's mag. and read just a teaser from an article.
Better luck w/the newspaper sites...could read almost anything, but was yesterday's news.

Old 05-21-2002, 04:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, My frugal finds are many this week... Our town had a community wide garage sale... which I went to of course.. but the best was what I did later..
After I put the baby to sleep I went out garbage picking... most people didn't want to drag all the stuff back in, and since it was garbage day the next day... THERE WAS STUFF GALORE!
I got
a really nice white bedroom set... yesI said set... little dresser... big dresser and a four poster bed... Perfect for our guest room.
a old chandaler.. perect for the basement
a stand up rotating fan
lots of craft xmas and halloween stuff
a much needed slip cover for my basement couch
candles, boxes, reqular "stuff"
2 lamps.. nice ones
a sewing table
a vanity set .. little tykes for my little girl, it is nicer than the one we had.. also found on a curb
lots of balls and toys
a vcr and a game boy.. but they 3were in the garbage because they needed to be
It was fun.. andI will diffinatly do it agagin
Old 05-21-2002, 05:09 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Wow Bellasmom! You made the big haul. Tami, what a great idea making a planter out of the chair!!! My mind would never have come up with that. About the weather...same here. It's May and the night temps have been in the 30s and day temps only up to 60. Cold and damp. Please come on hot, summer nights and warm breezes.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Pinkie Winky cold weather.....

Mom2twoboyz,
Yeah I know what you mean!
It got all the way down to 78* here last night, and i can't swim, 'cause the pool temp dropped all the way to 84*!!
...but then,...i always was a wimp!