Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 03-23-2002, 05:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

50 lb. of white sugar for $10 and 25 lb. of brown for $5.
Old 03-23-2002, 06:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I found Splenda at the Dollar store for $2.00! Also found a large Hersheys Cocoa for $2.00! Pack of 600 Q-tips for $3.00 (we go through a ton of these)!
Old 03-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Dh and I just got back from Lowe's. We are in the process of buying a new house that will need some painting and work on it. I wanted to check the mismatched paint. Ended up with a 5 gal. bucket of gray satin house and trim paint that will work great for the shed behind the house. The house has gray siding. The great thing is that the paint was $1! Dh was humoring me alittle and he agreed to go partly because tomarrow is my birthday and partly because he likes Lowe's. Now he is sold on the mismatched paint section!
Old 03-23-2002, 08:50 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wow Girlz ya'll did great! I'd love to know where you got the sugar for such a good price JustGina......? Don't ya just love it when you find a deal like these? Oh my heart be still.....!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2002, 05:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my great finds

I went to 5 thrift stores yesterday and got my youngest 5 outfits for spring for $7.74 ~ not that I care to much but they were baby gap, osh kash and levi's pretty cool At the Salvation Army my best find was a wooden toy box with 2 shelves and large box with no lid (which is what I have been looking for) that was solid wood. it is painted in pink and blues and I need it for my boys so with a little bit of paint they will have a great piece of furniture!! I love it.

But by far my best best best find ever is my brand new solid oak pedestel dining room table with 2 leaves for $50 and a leather couch for $20. Thats right a brand new leather couch for 20 bucks. The only problem with it was the sits were discolored then other part of the couch from people sitting on it in the show room. That is what it is suppose to do but they cant sell it as a new piece of furniture so we are blessed. My table has a scratch on the left it self and that is it. Nothing major A local high end furniture store donates their scratch and dent furniture to the Salvation Army and they then have a garage sale once a year!!! Can't wait til next year hehehe!!
Old 03-24-2002, 07:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I frequently check out the local thrift shops (Salvation Army and St. Vincent's). Primarily I am looking for chenille bedspreads ($4.99) to toss over our bed to keep the muddy dog paws off the good bedding. These are great because they wash up so well. When they fall apart (from dog burying bones in them!) I plan to cut off the good parts and make pillows. Chenille is really becoming the rage now, so these are wonderful.
I also found 6-10 pieces each (dinner plate, soup bowl, salad plate) to match my Danske (read:expensive!) china. These were $.99-$1.49 each, as opposed to $20/plate at the china stores. I did not get the cups and saucers because they were scratched
I have also found containers and molds to use with soap making and plastic cassette holders I use to store my inkpads for rubberstamping for under a dollar each.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

BTW, the bread machine works great!! And I febrezed the jacket and now doesn't have that oh-so-attractive mothball smell !

Mom to Brita 6/12/91

Logan 10/30/98
Old 04-02-2002, 04:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thrift Store Find

My mom lives in Dayton, Ohio -- the Thrift Store Capital of the World! The best ever find that I have was a gift from her -- an LLBean Full-length overcoat. It still had the tags on it, and she paid $14.99. I had it for at least a year, and I get the Bean catalog in the mail (why, I do not know, I can't afford them). Anyway, in the most recent Fall/Winter issue, there on the back cover was MY EXACT COAT and the retail price was (GET THIS) $179.99. WOW! What a deal!

I tell this story to encourage you to GO to the thrift stores. You may find something really great. And, if you're ever in the neighborhood, definitely check out the thrift stores in Dayton!

Hope this helps!
Old 05-02-2002, 04:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This may be a little graphic

My frugal find was a almost new comforter, 2 pillow shams, and the dust ruffle, for 6 bucks! It was at our local hospital thrift store. Normally I would not buy bedding at a thrift store, but listen to this...
My best friend and his girlfriend stayed at our house one weekend while we went to see Blues Clues live. (The tickets were given to my hubby from a guy at work!!) He called me the next day and told me to make sure I washed the blankets. I was going to anyway, but I was so skeeved out. He basically told me they did it in our guest room. Now, I am not sure how I feel about doing "it" in someone elses house, on their bed, but, the thought of the residue on my bed, made me a little mad! Anyway, on that bed, was new sheets(bought on clearence), and my favorite quilt and shams. Let me tell you, NEVER AGAIN!
So to make a long vent shorter... There will now be a slightly used and a lot less expensive set on there from now on.
Well, I guess I touched on a duiffrent subject all together... so what do you think.. to do "it" or not to do "it" that is the question.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I wish I had the luck you all have when it comes to frugal finds...

I wish I had the luck you all have when it comes to frugal finds

My FC Member Awards!
<HR width="95%" color=green height="3">

Hey, I won!