Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-26-2002, 03:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello! Anyone go treasure hunting this morning?

Hello to everyone out there! I hope you are having a good July. It is very hot here in Houston, but there have still been a lot of good garage sales in our area.

I didn't get to post last weekend, but let me see if I can remember what I bought. There were only a few good sales. I found some great clothes for me, which I don't often find. (Usually just kids clothes!)

OK, here goes:
$2 - Floral skirt with the tag still on (marked $25!) It is the Villager brand, which is a part of Liz Claiborne. The lady said she just never got around to returning it after she decided she didn't like it!
$2 - Black sheath dress with white floral print
$2 - Nice wrap-around skirt in brown and floral print
$4 - 2-piece outfit, with tan jacket and tan floral skirt. The jacket will go with the other brown skirt, too. (All of these clothes had been dry-cleaned, too!)
50 cents each - 3 nice books for my son
Free - backpack for my son, 2 Pampered Chef bread tubes, 4 Jello Jiggler molds, and 3 books. The lady selling said she was too hot, and she just wanted to go inside and end her sale, so I could take what I wanted! Wohoo!

Today I went out again, this time with my 2-year old in tow. He is so funny, he says, "More garage sales, Mommy!" He knows I will probably get him a 25 cent Matchbox car somewhere along the way!

$1 each - 3 very nice Nature Company books
25 cents each - 3 trucks for my son (I am a pushover!)
50 cents - Thomas the Tank Engine Push and Go train (for my nephew)
$1 - 100% linen Old Navy blouse for me
$1 - nice linen Van Heusen for Her blouse for me (both dry-cleaned, both will go with skirts I found last weekend!)
$2 - Sesame Street puzzle blocks (for my niece!)
50 cents - nap mat for my son! Yipee! He needs one for Mother's Day Out this fall. I almost bought one for $8 yesterday at Target.
25 cents each - package of sports-themed invitations and package of sports-themed yard decorations, for future birthday party
50 cents - Michael W. Smith CD
10 cents - 10 Commandments stickers
$1 - brand new in package 10 Commandments posters (possibly for homeschooling, maybe to resell)
50 cents - DragonMaster board game from the 80s, complete. Checked on eBay and it has resold anywhere from $9 to $40!

Not bad for around $11! All in all it was a good day for treasure hunting.

Tomorrow is my birthday. My hubby asked what I wanted, and I said, "The morning to myself to hit the sales!"

Have a great weekend!

Caroline
Old 08-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Reply to iamloved22...a good place to locate a pressure cooker may be your AgExtension office. Our office here will check the pressure guage, maybe someone has posted one for sale. The fair booth that shows the food entries may be another option. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2002, 04:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Had a great weekend this past, for sales

2 hand puppets (Tigger and Piglet) still with tags for $1.50 each (for the niece and nephews)

A Braun Electric Toothbrush- rechargeable for $2.50
At a different sale a Braun Electric Flosser-rechargable with 3 packages of extra flossers for $10
(DH has been wanting to get both for awhile, but the cheapest I've found have been around $30 each. So he was very happy!!)

Hamilton Beach 7 cup food processor with all attachments for $5 (my mom has been eyeing mine for awhile, so now she has her own)

2 Star Wars figures (including box) from 1983 for $5 each. (Will be going to our avid Star Wars friend for Christmas)

And our best deal; two sisters where having a sale and they were selling a dresser that had been passed from their grandma to their mom to them. It has 3 drawers on each side and in the middle are two doors with 3 drawers behind them. And it has a 4 foot mirror that has moveable wings on each side. It is in very good condition with only a few water marks on the top. (I am thinking about refinishing it sometime in the future???) for $10.
Plus they threw in an afghan to protect the mirror!!!!

I also learned about a huge sale in Beaver Dam, WI every second Wed-Sat in September. It's the Bethesda Society Sale. They collect items throughout the year, everything from clothes, toys, books, electronics, etc... On Wed-Fri, I think they're open from 8 until 5 pm. And then on the last day, it's open from 8-12 and they have a bag sale. $3 for a bag of clothes, etc.... Although it's open until noon, they usually end at 11 because all the stuff is sold.
We're very excited and want to go on Wed and then again on Sat. My Dad and Step-mom may be coming down to join us for one of the days. I can't wait!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2002, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We went out today. Got 3 dark green plastic lawn chairs for $4. We didn't have any for our deck. I almost bought some a month ago for $4 each!
Old 09-03-2002, 04:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I'm in!! I have learned to become an avid garage saler. I stopped working to homeschool my kids and needed to furnish our house on a tight budget....sooooo for less than $500

2 sofas - excellent condition
5 chairs - including a rocker recliner (brand new!!)
coffee table, 2 end tables - broyhill (like new condition)
2 solid wood bookcases
2 occasional tables (one another broyhill)
10 lamps (including several milkglass)
1 set encyclopedias (excellent condition)
numerous nicknacks (many are home interiors - several still in the box)
several wood nicknack shelves
a chest of drawers
a brand new hamilton beach electric cravering knife ($2.00)
40 canning jars and electric roasting spit ($5.00)
Several pictures (most $1.00 or so)

I think I did pretty well and we didn't break our budget!
Old 09-03-2002, 03:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

garage sales

I run across so many wonderful buys at sales. To many to keep them all. I need some feedback on an idea I have. I drive for a local subscription door to door bus service. During the course of the day I meet many people. Many of which are single parents on VERY tight budgets, many use the food shelf just to feed their kids each month. Well anyway, my idea is to "coordinate" the haves and the have nots. By this I mean if I see/hear of someone in my town who needs something and I know someone else who has it and wants to give it, I'll anonomously fill the need. What do you think of the idea? I can be emailed at [email protected] if you have suggestions, need to know more or would like to help. Non-profit, anonomous, no strings attached! I know how it is since I'm a single parent myself. I've worked very hard to keep my head above water and without the help of grandmaladies I know I wouldn't have gotten this far. This is my way of giving back and honoring them.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Yahoo !!

Our moving sale from this past weekend was a BIG sucess !!

For the two days we made a little over $800.00 !!! About $500.00 came from big stuff like my DH's tools and some small furniture but the rest was just everything I could get my hands on to sell !! Sunday wasnt a very good day for the sale but we did sell our snow blade that was left !

I have come to the conclusion that even though yard sales are a lot of work, I love having them !! I always meet som very nice people too. This time I met a foster mother....what a wonderful person she is !!

Only one item went back into the house, everything else got thrown into one of 3 piles....a bag of clothes for my nephew, a bag for GoodWill and 2 bags of clothes and toys for the foster mother that I met. What a nice feeling to know that these things are really appreciated and that their uses will continue on!

My DH was thrilled to see that I didnt pack up the remaining stuff for him to move again. He even said that I wouldnt be able to have a sale next year ...... Boy, little does he know that I have a whole year to work on this!!!! ;-) ;-)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Love , love, love garage/yard sales!

When my last two kids were little, we made regular treks to visit and peruse garage/yard sales. The kids loved it!