Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 06-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I spent a little more on stuff than I usually do, but I got some nice things this weekend:
a folding music stand for my kids who are started violin lessons a couple of months ago- $6
an old window that has been fitted with a mirror and the metal picture hangers, purple crackled finish , for my daughter's room- $8
a crochet purse for dd-.50
a metal garden chair, circa 50's, recently repainted- $12
It is the exact color of my shutters and window boxes!
package of shamrocks for scrapbooking-.10

I just love treasure hunting!
Old 06-30-2002, 01:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

So glad I found this site!

Hello to everyone here! I am new to this site, I hope you don't mind if I jump into this discussion! I am so excited to have found this site! It is fun to have someone to share my "finds" with.

I am 30, and I am a stay-home Mom to Will, 2-years old. My DH and I have been married for 8 years next month, and we are praying for another little one to join our family soon. (God's timing!)

I was a teacher for 6 years before staying home once my son was born. Now I work really hard on keeping our budget in line since we live on one income. I love to go to garage sales, and I am always amazed at the bargains I can find!

I have resold a lot of things on eBay for a profit, and I am hoping to get into doing this even more soon. A few of the things I have bought and resold are:
A Wilton Snoopy cake pan - paid $2, sold on eBay for $130!!!
A Pampered Chef cookie mold - paid $1, sold for $38
An old Tasha Tudor book - paid 50 cents, sold for $25

I am always searching for bargains!

Here in Houston, there are sales every weekend. I buy most of my son's clothes at GSs and have found great brand name clothes, some with tags on. He always looks well dressed, for a fraction of the cost. Most of his Christmas and birthday presents have come from GSs, too. We can do more for him for much less money!

We are considering Homeschooling Will, so I am always on the lookout for educational items. Even if we don't homeschool, these things will be used!

This weekend it has been raining. Here is most of my list from last weekend's sales (I hit a great neighborhood-wide sale!):

Veggie Tale video - 50cents
Discovery Toys Think it Through set (learning game) - $1
Pampered Chef Cut & Seal sandwich press - 50 cents (sells for $8)
Pampered Chef My Safe Cutter - 50 cents (safe knife for kids to use!)
Discover Toys Down on the Farm floor puzzle - 50 cents
Discovery Toys Pegboard set - $1
Rock and Learn Letter Sounds video - 50 cents
Bob Books - set 1 in case, complete - $1.50
Consonant Bingo game - 50 cents
Lauri Lacing and Tracing kids (lacing cards and laces) - $1
Lauri Lacing animals - $1
Lauri felt ornaments kit for kids - $1
Jello Jigglers ABC cutters (great for playdoh and cookies!) - 50 cents
Several board books and books for 25 cents or 50 cents each
3 frame tray puzzles (Veggietales, horses, months of year) - 50 cents each
Boggle Junior game (complete) - $1
Monopoly Junior Dig n Dinos - $1
A pretty old green McCoy planter, very collectible - $3
A beautiful old soup tureen with ladle, white with green flowers, very Shabby Chic - $5
6 DK books for kids (sell for $12 - $15 each) - $1 each
3 pair of Carter's pajamas - $1 each
1 pair of Little Arizona blue jeans, like new - $1

The best thing is, most of these things are brand names, and they are all like new. I can use many of these things with my son. Some I will resell, others I can put in my gift closet.

I budget money for garage sales, because that money would have been spent on clothing, entertainment, gifts, etc.

I love garage sales!

I look forward to reading more about all of your finds, too! Sorry this is so long, I just got too excited about sharing everything!

Caroline Young
Houston, TX
Old 07-02-2002, 05:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

garage sales

Wow cyoung, you did well ! I'm impressed.
I have a question what type of digital camera are you using if you are for online pictures on E-bay? I deciding on using a traditional camera with a 'close up' lens(different than a telephoto lens) and getting them developed for computer use or investing in a digital
camera -( Though this goes against my generally frugal nature.)Just wondering what your experience was. Happy 4th of July to you and your family.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lightbulb

Leslie9220,

I also use my digital camera to list items on ebey. We bought a Largan for 150.00 about a year ago through aol netmarket. It's the size of a pack of cigarettes, and does a wonderful job.

Old 07-02-2002, 07:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

bettdev- Thanks. Have a wonderful 4th. Sounds like you got a pretty good buy on the Largan. Is the internal zoom 2x - 3x ? I need very good tight detail on what I'm shooting.3x in a close up lens(glass only) 3x in the internal zoom. 6x total min. What I would like to buy is a Toshiba PDR-M25. Anyone out there upgrading from that camera to another,and your camera is in good shape, I'd be interested!

Trying to stay cool in hummid midwest. Leslie9220
Old 07-02-2002, 01:26 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle Leslie9220

This is only July 2nd and we've had heat and humidity for so long. Can't hardly wait to see what August will bring. I had to laugh when I read your post "trying to stay cool in humid midwest". I know that feeling.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've been beating my head against the wall trying to find a pressure canner at a yard sale! I refuse to pay $70 for a new one at the store. If anyone comes across one and they are willing I will pay them back plus shipping costs to me (as long as it totalls under $20). This is making me crazy!
Old 07-07-2002, 11:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: garage sales

Hello! Sorry for my delayed reply. We were out of town for the 4th, visiting my parents in North Central Texas. Because of the rain, it was actually a little cooler than usual. (They are about 1 1/2 hours north of the flooding.) Here in Houston it is so hot!

Leslie9220 - We have an Olympus D-460 Zoom digital camera. We saved up for it, plus put Christmas money toward it, but it wasn't inexpensive. (I think it was $250?) I shopped around for a couple of months online, using MySimon.com. I actually bought the camera from a shop in Maine. I got free shipping plus an extra memory card and a card reader, all for less than just the camera cost in any of the stores here in Houston! I earned the money back with a few sales on eBay! I like this camera because it can zoom very close and still give a clear photo. This helps if you need close photos for selling. An example is when I sold a vintage McCoy mug I was able to zoom in on the marking on the bottom so the buyer could know it was authentic. (This may not be something you will need to worry about, depending on what you are selling.) There may be better cameras out there by now, as we bought this last year! I am sure there are cheaper cameras that will do a good job, too. We got this one because I am now trying to sell on eBay to supplement my husband's income. If you are selling much more casually, then you can definitely find a cheaper alternative that will work well.

(We also use this camera a lot for taking photos of my now 2-year old son and e-mailing them to his grandparents and aunts & uncles around the country. Cheaper and faster than mailing photos all the time! We do use our traditional camera, too, just not for selling.)

It is just a personal preference, but I always use a digital camera for eBay photos. Even though it is a bigger investment initially (and it is harder for us frugal types to spend the money!) I think it pays off in the long run. If you take photos with a traditional camera, you have to hope that they will turn out. You have to buy film, and have it developed. (Seems to me film developing keeps getting more expensive!) Then, if the photos aren't good, you have to start over. Be sure to figure in those expenses in your decision.

No matter what you decide, I have found that a good clear photo can really increase the amount of money you get for items on eBay! So even if you use a traditional camera and scan in pictures, it will help your sales.

If anyone else out there is selling some of your garage sale finds on eBay, I would love to hear how it is going!

Hope this helps!

Caroline
Old 07-08-2002, 06:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

cyoung , Thanks very much for your digital camera info.I've looked for some digital camera deals on line. I'll continue to look on line for another week then I'll decide.I've completly cleaned out
our "black hole" downstairs closet. You know, boxes of stuff goes in from your last move unpacked, and sit there for an eternity!
The nicer vintage pieces are going on E-bay. So I've got to photograph these sooner than later.

98 degrees in the shade,102 in the sun

Leslie9220
Old 07-08-2002, 07:06 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Was at dbil's house this weekend for a fam. party. I spotted a garage sale sign in their neighborhood (county community) and took off over there. I found some really nice, all different shapes and sizes and finishes picture frames. These are actually on some artwork (although not very good artwork). I'm re-doing my house and I'm going to use these in my hallway to frame family pics with. The idea is to collect a bunch of really neat frames and then paint them all one color (like silver) to make a nice arrangement of family photos. These were a bit pricey for garage sale, $2 ea. but a huge bargain if you look at Hobby Lobby!