Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-29-2002, 07:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

To Bettdev and Ladym.

Great tips! Here is one more!

Frugal but Specially chosen Gift Giving -

I keep a list of what my family or friends are looking for for 6 months at a time in my purse. ( I know because I offer to look for them when I'm at flea markets and garage sales and they tell me what they haven't been able to find. I make sure to write down a good description).

Then when I find it I put it aside in my closet and mark it for the next gift giving occassion. Like for my mother, she really was looking for an older mirrored tray - large oval,gold tone to closely match one her mother had had on her vanity table. She had her mothers hairbrushes and handmirror to put out on a birdseye maple dresser in her bedroom but she wanted something very similar to her mother's for sentimental reasons. It took about 9 months to find a very close match. I spent under $5 for it.
I turned down 6 others and waited to find the best match, and it was worth it. You should have seen the look on her face when I gave it to her!

I only have two rules for this type of 'gift quest'.1. The piece has to be the closest match possible to the original description. It has to have no damage and it has to be 2. In very fine or near perfect condition if not perfect condition. This will take time - it can take 1/2 a year, to a year, or two or more. (It is great if you can get a photo to compare to, and anyway the person you are giving the gift to usually forgets that youre out hunting for it so it really is a big suprise when they do receive it. It is so much fun to give gifts this way.
Leslie9220
Old 05-29-2002, 03:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Leslie, that sounds like gift giving I could get into. How often do you ladies get out to the yard sales? Just wondering how much time I need to "put in" for the good deals.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Neat idea!

Leslie, what a neat and yet practical idea you have for gift giving! Absolutely terrific!!!

Sandie
Old 05-30-2002, 09:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Renee i try to go every week-end.or everyother.during the season
Old 05-30-2002, 10:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Renee-

Thanks-

I don't put in as much time as you probibly think, and I don't go every weekend. Maybe 6 hrs. (2 Sat. a month. ) Apr.-Oct. Garage Sales in this area of MO start as early as 6:30-7:00 AM because I live in a rural area. So I get there with a cup of coffee within 1/2 hr. of the posted begining time. Anywhere between 6:45 and 7:45. I never show up before people open. I'm usually done by 1:30 PM. on a Sat. Sometimes I go with 3 of my kids, 8,14,17 sometimes I don't - it just depends.They do like to go though.

I do a couple of things to organize myself. I go thru a garage sale listing in a county newspaper Wed. eve. It lists on average
40-50. Depending on what I am looking for, I read the descriptions very carefully decide where the best prospects are and plan a route (usually to save gas so I don't have to double back)and hit maybe 6-8 best.
Out of 10-12 I've picked... Lets say my aunt wants a antique silk embroidered scarf . I would go to a garage or estate sale with this sort of listing - "The kids are gone we're weeding
out stuff from 30 yrs. of collecting it. Antiques including china,glassware,furniture,jewelry,clothing."

I wouldn't bother with a sale that lists clothing in baby or young childrens sizes or some one offering tiny tike furniture unless- they specifically listed 'antique clothing' because they aren't
likely to have the 'antique embroidered scarf' and I'm not buying for myself remember, but I'm buying a gift. this also curbs the impulse to buy something I don't really need.

Community or Subdivision sales with 4-20 families are also a good bet. You can cover lots of area with less time, and your feet aren't quite as worn out when you get home. Hope this helps!

I also do another 8 hrs. a month in the library researching antiques in one or two hr. blocks when I can. On subjects I'm interested in, just to educate myself. All together maybe 20 hrs.
a mo. research, planning & looking.

Leslie9220
Old 05-30-2002, 10:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

rosan or (Sandie)-
Thanks for your reply - what area of southern MO do you live in?
Sounds like we maybe sort of in the same general area ? I live in Franklin CO, MO. I do know some good areas for flea marketing and antiquing further south from me if you are interested.

Leslie9220
Old 05-31-2002, 06:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

WooHooo! Wish me luck ladies I'm having a yard sale tomorrow! I'm not really very ready but I already committed to having it and we ran an ad in the paper so ready or not.....
Old 05-31-2002, 07:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Good Luck....sending you thoughts of good weather!
Old 06-01-2002, 04:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Kimmyo- Ditto- Good luck on your Garage Sale. Have Fun!
Leslie9220
Old 06-01-2002, 07:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

wahhhhh......!

Kimmyo......I wanna have a sale, too!!!!
Guess I'll just have to drive to yours............where is Centre, anyway?...