FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Trash to Treasure (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/trash-treasure/)
-   -   Does anyone dumpster dive or roadside shop ? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/trash-treasure/4430-does-anyone-dumpster-dive-roadside-shop.html)

ajrsmom 02-06-2002 09:03 AM

Does anyone dumpster dive or roadside shop ?

Ok......Ill admit it......I try to dumpster dive but havent had any luck at all....:(

I have read so many stories of all the wonderful things people have found in different area. NOT HERE !!!!

The only things that I have found are lumber in Home Depots dumpster--good for craft projects and a set of wooden doors that were broken on the edge but Im going to use these for crafts too.

About 4 yrs ago, my neighbor THREW AWAW about 25 t-shirts that were in good condition......I helped myself to them and sold them at my yard sale for 50 cents each. They also threw out a brand new baby blanket and pillow from the Disney store just because it was a gift and it didnt match their nursery !! I took it and my son still uses the blanket !!!

Well......what about you ??????

aubry 02-06-2002 11:11 AM

I'm way too chicken too dumpster dive!:-O
But things along the road are fair game! I love large trash pickup day! For my son I got a blue metal Cosco toddler bed, without even a sctatch on it! A friend of mine got a little tykes playhouse, in top condition. Those things are a couple of hundred dollars. And the lady throwing it away saw her looking at it and came out and said hold on a minute, I still have the instructions, I'll get them for you!:-D
Now I can't wait for spring!

kimmyo 02-06-2002 04:12 PM

I haven't done either. I live in a rural community and nobody ever throws anything away!ROFLMAO But I love yard sales and junk stores!:)

ronsan 02-07-2002 02:52 PM

This thread brought a smile to my face! I live out in the country, also, so there isn't much to glom onto out here along the roadsides. (Plenty of trash thrown out of vehicles as they whiz by, however.)

I used to refund years and years ago (we're talking more than two decades ago, folks!) and I did save pops, upc's, etc. One day I finally worked up enough nerve to go into a laundromat to see if I could find any laundry product upc's I could use (I had heard so MANY great stories about what everyone else was finding), and I was promptly thrown out ... well, maybe it was a dead heat with me running out ... as the manager (a woman) shouted at me, "We don't allow vagrants and no-accounts in here siftin' through the trash. Git! " I ran!!!!

My dh was keeping the car running out in the parking lot and my kids were cowering in the back seat hoping no one would see what I was doing ~ I beat feet back out to the car and announced, "On second thought, I don't think I want to do that after all." LOL

This may be slightly off topic, but 20 years ago, the premiums you got for refunding were absolutely something else! I still have and use a Virginia Slims quilted jewelry roll and a fabulous black umbrella I got somewhere. I am not sure who offered the following, but probably the best thing I ever got was a special anniversary edition of a Monopoly game. I was short on $$$ and Christmas gifts that year so I gave it as a gift ~ only to find out a year or so later that it had become a hotly sought after collector's edition and was worth a fortune even then!

I can also remember refunding when it wasn't as structured and regulated as it is now, and the checks would just flow in. Those were the days when you could get hundreds and hundreds of dollars a year in refunds, postage wasn't as high and Refunding Makes Cents was brand new! I still have the first edition Michelle ever put out ... somewhere. (sigh)

The only time I dive into a dumpster now is to clean out the last little bit of junk/gunk in the bottom after my husband has unloaded it with the tractor down at our own dump pit!!!

Thanks for the memories, gals!

:daisy: Sandie

kimmyo 02-07-2002 07:02 PM

What a hoot! I can just picture you runnung out to jump in the car!ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

dpence 02-09-2002 08:31 PM

A couple of weeks ago, my DH found a large box on the side of the road, it still had the plastic binders on it. When we opened the box, we found two brand new wooden chairs in it and they were in perfct condition. The neat thing is they match my table.

kimmyo 02-09-2002 08:45 PM

Wow what a lucky break for you!:)

ajrsmom 02-09-2002 10:01 PM

Havent had any luck diving but I had a great day at a thrift store that we found !!!! I got 12 pieces of clothes for my son for 12.00 !!! :-D

I found 1 brand new grey turtle neck
1 brand new blue sweatshirt with USA & sports balls on it
1 pair of Levi jeans
2 prs of Wrangler jeans
1 pr. of Gap jeans
1 pr. of Levi shorts
1pr of Wrangler shorts (look brand new)
2 short sleeve shirts
1 pair of khaki shorts
1 pr of green sweats

They are all in great condition except the Gap jeans are worn in the knees a little BUT....they will make great shorts if he wears them out.

Not too bad after DS coming down with a cold and DH having an absessed tooth and needing to have it pulled !!!!

kimmyo 02-10-2002 05:37 AM

You did Great!^^ I don't know how old your son is but mine would say worn out in the knees is pretty cool!:-D

aubry 02-11-2002 07:30 AM

Hi Ajrsmom,

I just realized that you live north of Pittsburgh. If you don't mind my asking where are you from. I was born and raised in that area. I have lived in Butler, Saxonburg, Bellevue and Sewickley. I spent several years working in the salon at JCPenneys in Ross Park Mall. Moved too NY after I got married. Just curious!8-)