Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 06-04-2002, 08:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

New dining room table

My mate works @ a marina...they have a few boats that are being hauled off to the scrap yard.
He was looking inside them to see if anything could be salvaged, and found a large glass top for a dining table. We have 4 dining rom chairs that i found curbside last year, so he brought it home, with some cinderblocks that were also discarded.
Stacked up the blocks, draped a sheet over them that matched the oriental rug in that room, and put the glass on top. New dining set ....cost? FREEEEE!!!!

Old 06-04-2002, 01:57 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Way to Go....!

Can't beat that!
Old 06-04-2002, 01:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yea! Yea! Yea!
Old 06-10-2002, 11:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Good trash

I have always been lucky in finding good stuff. One day we were driving down the street and hit a box, well it got stuck under our truck so we drove about a block then found a place to pull off. The box was filled with little glass ornaments and only a few were broken. I once found a box out in the woods with a Christmas tree and lights and ornaments. Some people drive off the highways or go to out of the way places to dump stuff. We have found clothes, toys, tools, and other items. Some needed to be cleaned up a bit but they were free. I often give items found to our local thrift shops and sometimes have yardsales.
Be careful however, be sure items found are trash and not stolen. We found a bunch of bikes once that were brandnew. These things we report to the police.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

One day we were driving from the convenient store and I spotted a camping table in the dumpster. I got out, took a look and found a perfectly good green camping table. (we were going to buy one and now don't have to!) Since I found it I have looked a little closer at trash being thrown away. Around here we have clean up week, where each city encourages residents to clean out all their junk and throw it away. All the "junk" is placed at the curb (or in the alley) The traffic that week is unbelieveable! Junking is very popular around here- of course I'm sure our ecomony has something to do with this.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just this Sat. I got about 8 bushel baskets and 20 small clay pots from the "Curbside Mall". (Someone else used that term, and I just love it.)

Since we have a large vegetable garden, those baskets will come in handy.

I haven't decided if I will use the clay pots to try to start things from seed next year, or if I will use them for Christmas crafts. I think crafts, because I can start seed in a paper cup if I have to! LOL.

I don't have the nerve to dumpster dive - though when we rented, I think I picked up some things while dropping off our trash.

These days, I have to be careful about bringing home things that need work, because we have too many projects already!
Old 06-12-2002, 06:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

way to go!

I love it when people toss out empty pots....or better yet, pots w/plants still in 'em!

Old 06-20-2002, 12:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I made my very first stop at the "curbside mall" today on my lunch break. We bought a basketball hoop for my DS at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago, the only problem with it was no net! So on my way home for lunch I spotted one of those basketball hoops for the pool with the net, the hoop was hopelessly broken but the net was in perfect condition! I'm so excited!
Old 06-22-2002, 11:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am so bummed!

It's been raining here every day, for the last week.........No yard sales, no goodies @ the curb, too crappy outside to dumpster-fish!..........I'm just whining.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

footlocker

Footlocker someone was throwing out, got on my way to work! Looks to be in working order, a little dented. Probably circa 1980's.

Looks sturdier than mine that a friend fell on and broke recently!